Who suffers Sea Legs after cruise?????!!!

TYSMOM

Ok silly stupid question. it seems that after every single cruise I take- I suffer from feeling light headed, and nauseas for at least 3-5 days after my cruise. Has anyone ever suffered from this as well??? The first few times I thought maybe I had gotten a cold, or was coming down with one... But especially after the last 2 I have started to wonder. I feel fine on the ships, never experienced Sea Sickness- but as soon as I step foot on land, I am light headed, queasy etc... You name it- anyone else suffer from this- or have any advice????

Just got back from a 4 day Bahamma cruise on the Sensation Sunday and I am still feeling it. We had rough seas the last day, 12-15 feet, which I think compounded the situation. I never get sea sick on a ship but I tend to get dizzy when off the ship not only after but even during the cruise. Its officially called "mal d'embarquement" syndrome. Google it, its a mild form of motion sickness after a trip.

I didn't feel it after the 4 day cruise, but I did after this last one. I never got sea sick & never really felt like I was on a ship except for our last day, but I swayed a little for about 2 days once we were home. My hubby never has that feeling after like I do. I suppose it's because he spends lots of time in his boat, maybe?

Yep had that feeling today and I got off the ship (Glory) in March. :rolleyes: hmmm

must mean I need to go on a cruise soon.

Yes I do have that for the first couple days on land, especially the swaying back and forth part or side to side.

I didn't feel it after the 4 day cruise, but I did after this last one. I never got sea sick & never really felt like I was on a ship except for our last day, but I swayed a little for about 2 days once we were home. My hubby never has that feeling after like I do. I suppose it's because he spends lots of time in his boat, maybe?

i'm a boater too, and we're always out, weather and seasons permitting.

but friends and (some) family who also cruise, are not boat owners, and they don't feel this. so, :confused:

It happened to me. On the ship, I felt fine. In the airport, I felt like I was constantly moving. On the airplane, I felt fine again. Once I got home, I swore everything was moving around me. It seemed like smaller spaces like bathrooms were the worst...I'm not sure why though.

Heheheheee....

During debark I was quietly chuckling to my self watching dozens of people silently swaying in near perfect unison.

I suspect that they didn't even realize they were doing it. Nothing dramatic, just a slight sway, side to side.

:D

It happened to me. On the ship, I felt fine. In the airport, I felt like I was constantly moving. On the airplane, I felt fine again. Once I got home, I swore everything was moving around me. It seemed like smaller spaces like bathrooms were the worst...I'm not sure why though.

Yeah....same here. For about a week after a cruise, the minute I would step in the shower, I felt like I was back on the ship....weeeeird.

I agree with you! Smaller spaces were worse!

Try taking ginger tablets. My hubby gets motion sickness easily. He took them on our last cruise, which got a little rocky both going and coming back, and he never once got sick. I took them to stay "regular" :o (they help for that too....) and wish I had thought to keep taking them after the cruise. Next time I'm taking them until the sea legs go away!!

Sometimes I have been in motion with the ocean for days or even months. My last cruise was last April. Every once in awhile I get that motion feeling now. Makes me think that I should book another cruise. One time we went on an Hawaiin cruise. When we returned home I ended up staying awake for almost 36 hours. For some reason staying awake that long helped get rid of the motion that I would encounter with cruising.

It's called Mal De Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) and is pretty common.

What is Mal de Debarquement Syndrome?

from

http://www.etete.com/mdd/knowledge.html

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) is a rare balance disorder that most often develops following an ocean cruise, other type of water travel, or motion experience. MdDS persists for months to years.

from

http://www.mddsfoundation.org/

I must have it bad because even after some trips on an elevator, I get that same feeling (only lasting a couple of minutes). Thanks for the tips on Bonine and ginger. Luckily it lasts less than a week after a cruise.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. :(

Not only do I suffer seasickness (and all types of motion sickness), I also suffer from this sensation post-cruise.

I'm going to try ginger tablets this cruise and switch from Dramamine to Bonine. I also wear the seabands and actually put them on last year after I was home to try to stopping my desk from rocking.

Motion sickness in any variety is no fun, folks.

I am also a boater, lived 9 months on my boat, did not have the sensation, the only time I get it is if it is really rough and then only while taking a shower with my eyes closed...The first cruise I was on it hit real bad one day while we were in port (had a couple of real rough nights cruising) asked my friend if the ground was reeling...she said yes...

Also be careful there is also a disease called Labryinthitis (sp?) I got this after my cruise to Antarctica...it is much worse than the normal after cruise symptons....just getting out of bed was rocky...My Dr. perscribed meclazine for the symptons...I call it getting land sick...

Archived