Norvis virus?

Stacym

Has any one heard of being denied boarding of there ship, (south bound) because they tested positive for norvis virus?

A good friend has got sick after starting there 7 day land tour six days ago in Fairbanks, they thick they got sick at a Princess lodge in Fairbanks?

They are staying in Anchorage till they feel better then flying home, does the virus come on that fast?

Hate being sick!

Stacym

My wife apparently was exposed to Norovirus sometime since our arrival in Fairbanks last Tuesday. She had severe symptoms while we were in Denali (while on a river rafting so we thought possibly motion sickness). When we arrived at the McKinley Princess Lodge we called the desk to request assistance and they determined that she had Norovirus. They have CDC regulations they have to live with (i.e., deny boarding to anyone showing symptons 48 hours prior to embarkation) and we were hit. We're now trying to figure out how to salvage what's left of our time here. More than likely Princess will fly us from Anchorage to Vancouver, we're hoping that Princess will put us up at a hotel for a couple of nights, then we'll go to Victoria for 2 nights, back to Vancouver for 1 night before catching our original flight home to Tennessee.

At least we had a great time in Fairbanks (Riverboat Discovery tour was fantastic, and we had a rental car the day before for a visit to the Large Animal Research Station and the Museum of the North) and Denali (11-hour shuttle to Wonder Lake with the mountain OUT and sightings of the big 4-5).

All our nights were at Princess hotels, and most meals also at Princess hotels.

Sam

Sam, I am so sorry to hear this. I wish your family get well soon. Getting sick while on board was my biggest concern too. I was almost religiously washing my hand at least 3 times a day and again before entering dining room (that was mandatory by cruiseline). You never know what you have touched since the virus can survive a long time in such concentrated population.. My best regards..

Appreciate the good thoughts. Just wish we'd been able to actually have the cruise. At least we did make good use of the Zen-Ray Summits that you recommended - great for looking at the Dall sheep, a Grizzly sow and 2 cubs, numerous caribou, a couple of wolves, etc.

Sam

PS - we were pretty careful about washing hands, but I think the potential on land for contamination is actually much greater (the environment is less-well controlled) even though fewer people are immediately exposed?

My DH got the virus on board the Diamond. We had a 3 day land tour first and on the 3rd day on ship (the day after many loud speaker announcements concerning hygiene) he was violently ill for 2 1/2 days. Our steward told him if he went to medical they would quarantine the cabin for the rest of the trip, so I just got him as much jello, crackers and gator ade as needed. he lived, but was weak the rest of the trip. He washed his hands many, many times and always thouroughly used the sanitizer. I really think it started in food service as the staff got sick first. He missed 2 ports and I only briefly left the ship to see Juneau and Ketchikan for about an hour or so. I stayed to myself, not socializing or getting into a crowd. I even left the elevator if a few people got on.

Sam, I am so sorry to hear this. I wish your family get well soon. Getting sick while on board was my biggest concern too. I was almost religiously washing my hand at least 3 times a day and again before entering dining room (that was mandatory by cruiseline). You never know what you have touched since the virus can survive a long time in such concentrated population.. My best regards..

As a health care professional, "3 times a day" is grossly inadequate for hand washing. It should be many times that.

As only a suggestion- wash your hands immediately before eating, either with a wet wipe or santizer. Wipe off your fork, spoon, etc. Don't touch salt shakers, bottles etc on the table, use your napkin to pick them up. Don't put your hands on the bottom of your chair and move in to the table, without wiping your hands after. THINK about what you are touching and eating. Norvirus is a direct contact transmission.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/noro-qa.pdf

Nancy is much better. In fact, we have reason to believe that it was food poisoning instead of norovirus. She was "ill" three times in a seven-hour period and then never had another episode. I was with her constantly and never had any symptoms. And although I was reasonably diligent about hygiene after her illness began, sleeping in the same bed, etc. would have seemed to me to almost guarantee contagion.

Princess has finally come through with respect to the remainder of our vacation. The guest services people here at McKinley Princess Lodge have been troopers (bringing us our food, checking on us, and trying to help us out regarding logistics) but I am not impressed with the ability (or inability) of Princess corporate to make decisions. It took them over 36 hours to decide that they would transport us from the lodge here to Anchorage to Vancouver instead of transporting us directly from here to Anchorage to Knoxville (we're using our FF tickets from Vancouver to Knoxville, thereby saving Princess 2 airfares) and get us a discount (about 50 percent from rack rate) at the Westin Bayshore Inn in Vancouver for two nights. Given the fact that there is a reasonably good chance that Princess mis-diagnosed my wife and subsequently denied us boarding, it seems to me that that is the least they could do and could have made the decision in a more expeditious manner.

Oh well! We're leaving the McKinley Princess Lodge tomorrow to be transported to Anchorage for a flight to Vancouver. In addition to two nights in Vancouver, we're planning on flying from Vancouver to Victoria for two nights at the Marriott Victoria. We will go whale-watching (either out of Victoria or Vancouver) but look for Orcas instead of humpbacks. We WILL have a good time, and Nancy WILL have a nice anniversary Friday, toasting with a cosmo if not champagne.

Cheers and ciao,

Sam

Sam, I can NOT tell you how much I appreciate your positive attitude in these circumstances!! I'm afraid I would be so ******!!! But the main thing is that your wife is feeling so much better, and I send you very special wishes for a Happy Anniversary!

Hope those who were affected bought trip insurance!!

Friends of mine were quarantined to their cabin 2 days into their 7 night cruise. The quarantine was for 72 hours I believe, which makes sense considering someone with the Norovirus is contagious for 72 hours after the first symptoms. If those who get sick would "turn themselves in" and stay away from everyone else for at least 72 hours we probably wouldn't have the Norovirus rampant on the cruiselines.

Luckily they purchased trip insurance and were reimbursed for the 3 days that they were quarentined, which was a good chunk of money. Didn't make up for lost time on the cruise but at least they weren't out the money too!

As a health care professional, "3 times a day" is grossly inadequate for hand washing. It should be many times that.

As only a suggestion- wash your hands immediately before eating, either with a wet wipe or santizer. Wipe off your fork, spoon, etc. Don't touch salt shakers, bottles etc on the table, use your napkin to pick them up. Don't put your hands on the bottom of your chair and move in to the table, without wiping your hands after. THINK about what you are touching and eating. Norvirus is a direct contact transmission.

Cruise Critic, is just great!

Stacym

As another health care professional, I agree with BQ's advice to wash your hands way more than 3x a day. AND as crazy as it may seem, touching common objects with your hands is the main method of germ transference. Door handles, pens, anything in the bathroom, chairs, and even the bottom of ladies' purses are all great places to find some bad "bugs". Use a paper towel or, in a pinch, your sleeve, rather than your hand to turn off the water, open the bathroom door, etc. Also, the old teaching to cover your mouth with your hand when you cough or sneeze just transfers pathogens (bacteria, viruses, etc) to your hands so you can spread them around when you touch things. Certainly you should cover your mouth but using a napkin or your covered arm (sleeve) is better since you don't go around touching things with your sleeve. In a small, rather closed in environment with that many people, all it takes is a few sick people to infect many.:(

BQ, cannot agree with you more.. When I said 3x a day, I mean in addition to what we normally do before we go to dining room, or after using restroom, showers, etc... Just consciously make a point to wash hands on top of what we should be doing..

Appreciate the good thoughts. Just wish we'd been able to actually have the cruise. At least we did make good use of the Zen-Ray Summits that you recommended - great for looking at the Dall sheep, a Grizzly sow and 2 cubs, numerous caribou, a couple of wolves, etc.

Sam

PS - we were pretty careful about washing hands, but I think the potential on land for contamination is actually much greater (the environment is less-well controlled) even though fewer people are immediately exposed?

I am really impressed with your always positive attitute even with situation like this. It is great to hear you still enjoy your stay up there. Maybe do a make-up cruise later?

Don't touch salt shakers, bottles etc on the table, use your napkin to pick them up.

Conde' Nast Traveler magazine recently did a study of swabs taken from large chain hotel rooms. One of the objects frequently contaminated was the TV remote. In one case, the lab detected fecal bacteria in the swab from the TV remote.

Does that convince you to wash your hands more often?

-Paul

Archived