Weight Limits????

bububr

Going to the Mexican Riviera this MArch. I have noticed MANY excursions post a weight limit. mostly between 220 and 240 lbs.

Do they make you get on a scale? what happens if you are a few pounds over? do they deny you the excursion? do you get a refund or do they just laugh it off at your expense?:confused:

Dave

But it is my understanding that the weight limits are often based on safety issues (small plane/helicopter/zodiak that can cary a maximum amount) and so if you are over the weight limit they charge you a surcharge - sort of like a single supplement.

Weight limits do make sense to me, but I've never run into them before.

Like a 220lb limit to go snorkeling? I understand the boat can only hold so much weight, but what kind of passengers are they expecting?

My partner and I are over 6' and weight about 225 plus or minus. We are not "Fat" just big guys. Should I not even consider a tour like this? or should I start a fast diet to lose 5 lbs before the cruise?

Dave:eek:

Going to the Mexican Riviera this MArch. I have noticed MANY excursions post a weight limit. mostly between 220 and 240 lbs.

Do they make you get on a scale? what happens if you are a few pounds over? do they deny you the excursion? do you get a refund or do they just laugh it off at your expense?:confused:

Dave

The zipline tour has a limit of 250 and the kayaking one too. I doubt they are going to weigh you. But if you look lots more heavy than the stated amount they may say something. I am sure you would get your money back though.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

Dave, I doubt a white lie will make a difference. I am pretty sure that they anticipate people "shrinking" the truth when asked about their weight. If you are within 5 pounds of the limit - don't sweat it. My fuunny weight story was a few years ago in Alaska, I am traveling with an old friend and we are going on a sea plane trip. As we board the bus, the tour guide is asking each person his weight. I hear my friend give her weight as about 12 pounds less than she weighed (and that was before the cruise started). I didn't bat at an eyelash and added the 12 pounds to my weight (I figure when youu weigh as much as I do, 10 pounds or so doesn't matter). As we headed toward the airstrip I told everybody on the bus to write notes to their loved ones that if the plane crashed the survivors should sue my friend because she lied about her weight. It continues to be the source of great amusement among our friends.

Enjoy your excursions - life's too short!

I imagine it would depend a lot on the excursion too. The zip lines, you might not want to push the weight limit, and they might be more strict in enforcing. My experience was with the Deer Island exursion in Mazatlan. The cruise literature said the limit for kayaking was (I think) 250. I weighed about 280. We went ahead and did the exursion, and I figured that if I couldn't kayak I wouldn't. Nobody ever asked or mentioned weight. The only problem, and thus the likely reason for the restriction, was that I barely fit into their largest life jacket, and the kayak was slightly uncomfortable. But there wasn't a safety issue, and I had a great time. Ultimately, I suppose it would depend upon the tour operator.

Los Veranos Zip-line tour guides weigh anyone who is questionable. One person on our tour (Nov. 05) was weighed and did not get to participate. I can't imagine going over the weight limit and wanting to do something like zip-lining! It's just not worth the risk!

I was also curious about this - we booked 2 excursions with 220 pound weight limit - my husband is 222! I did not think it would be a bid deal, but I understood the weight limit on the boat, etc.

We are so looking forward to this vacation:D

The one I want to do is the horse back ride. The picture of the poor beast lying on the sand with all four legs spread out saying back to me, "OK, lady now it is only fair, I get to ride you back!" is the motivation I need every morning that gets my butt to the gym. If I haven't lost the required weight then I won't try it. It is a great motivation!

We had a customer doing the Los Veranos canopy tour this year who was turned away when she was 1kg overweight. For 1kg, she could have just skipped breakfast that morning! However, she was not allowed to do the tour and was quite disappointed watching the rest of her group go on the tour without her. When they say 250 they mean 250. It's a safety issue, and they are very strict when it comes to safety.

However, other tours are more general guidelines. For example, on horseback riding tours, there is a 250lb. limit, but if you're tall and heavy like a linebacker, you can go higher. For the horses, it's more about weight distribution than actual weight.

I've not heard of weight limits on snorkeling tours - maybe if it's on a very small panga-style boat, if they have a boat load of heavy passengers, it poses a safety risk. Larger boats I wouldn't expect to have any weight limits.

There are over 50 tours to do in Puerto Vallarta - don't risk it.

One other possibility for the snorkeling may be that many of the cruise sponsored tours require that everyone wear life jackets. They may be limited in size ranges. If that is the case, I'm sure they wouldn't weigh anyone, but if you didn't fit in the life vest they may not let you snorkel.

We had a customer doing the Los Veranos canopy tour this year who was turned away when she was 1kg overweight. For 1kg, she could have just skipped breakfast that morning! However, she was not allowed to do the tour and was quite disappointed watching the rest of her group go on the tour without her. When they say 250 they mean 250. It's a safety issue, and they are very strict when it comes to safety.

However, other tours are more general guidelines. For example, on horseback riding tours, there is a 250lb. limit, but if you're tall and heavy like a linebacker, you can go higher. For the horses, it's more about weight distribution than actual weight.

I've not heard of weight limits on snorkeling tours - maybe if it's on a very small panga-style boat, if they have a boat load of heavy passengers, it poses a safety risk. Larger boats I wouldn't expect to have any weight limits.

There are over 50 tours to do in Puerto Vallarta - don't risk it.

When I went on the horseback ride near PTO, I weighed close to 300# (I'm 6'3" tall - still a big guy). When the ranch hands began bringing out the horses for us to ride, the "manager" of the ranch sent one of the stable hands back to the barn to bring out a BIG horse for me. I went back a year later, and I'll be damned if they didn't bring out the same horse for me!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The zip lines, horses and kayaks all make sense - I couldn't understand the limit for snokeling from a large catameran. I contacted the Pez Gato people they run several boats in Cabo. We wanted the book the Tropicat and we'd been on the Pez Gato several years ago. She said they just wanted to make sure people were fit enough to climb the ladder back on the the boat. Even though I'm about 275, I'm in reasonable shape and have never had any problem climbing a ladder - even when I was heavier. We went - had a great time, my weight was not an issue - I don't think I was the heaviest person on board :rolleyes:

The zip lines, horses and kayaks all make sense - I couldn't understand the limit for snokeling from a large catameran. I contacted the Pez Gato people they run several boats in Cabo. We wanted the book the Tropicat and we'd been on the Pez Gato several years ago. She said they just wanted to make sure people were fit enough to climb the ladder back on the the boat. Even though I'm about 275, I'm in reasonable shape and have never had any problem climbing a ladder - even when I was heavier. We went - had a great time, my weight was not an issue - I don't think I was the heaviest person on board

Archived