Hotels In Rome

Has anyone stayed at the Capo D Africa Hotel in Rome? We're looking for somewhere to stay for two nights prior to 6 Aug Grand Princess cruise. We're arriving by train from London via Paris (though I understand that the termini area is not good) As regards location, I think I would prefer (if its a matter of choosing between the two) to be in an area with a good choice of restaurants and maybe travel a bit to do the normal touristy things rather than the other way around.

David, check out Hotel Santa Maria, supposedly a quaint, small family owned hotel that is rated #1 by trip advisor. We will be there in June, so we can send you a report, but it looks great. Read the reviews.

Gary and Susan

Atlanta, GA

You might also want to check out the Albergo Del Senato: http://www.albergodelsenato.it/home.html We will be staying there five nights in May, prior to our cruise out of Barcelona.

The location is to die for..rooms and roof top restaurant over look the Pantheon! It also has an excellent review at tripadvisor.com with many repeat visitors. Although a bit pricey (250 Euro per night), I figure the hotel is worth the extra $ to be in such a great location within walking distance of many of Rome's main attractions.

We liked the Capo D'Africa, but I don't think the location is very good and we did not receive good value for the rates that we paid as compared with our experiences at other hotels in Rome.

We've stayed at the Hotel Britannia a couple of times and liked it very much. It is lovely (painted frescoes at every turn) and has excellent service and breakfast. The location is great, and that's very important in Rome. It is within easy walking distance of the major sights. It is a few blocks away from Termini Station but is in a safe area right over the Via National (sp?), which is the leather shopping district. We were able to walk to the Spanish Steps in about 10 minutes, and it's a lovely walk past several fountains. The Pantheon, etc. are a short walk in another direction. See some other threads on this site about the safety issues in Rome. The problem in the Termini Station area is the gypsies, but I don't think there's a lot of violent crime. You'll just need to take the normal precautions. Stay off Bus 64, which we call the pickpocket express, because the tourists are targeted very successfully on that crowded bus, and you'll never even know what hit you. (We have friends in Rome and Venice, and we've heard lots of stories from tourists at our hotels and elsewhere--even the Italians get ripped off.) You don't have to deal with all the crime issues in Venice--they run the gypsies off.

We found a recommendation for the Britannia in the Fodors book for Rome. We had a room with a balcony and felt very much at home. I think the sheets are Frette are something close to it--heavenly! It's not 5-star by any means, but it's a good hotel and a great value. As stated on another thread, I like hotels that have a local flavor and prefer not to stay in American hotels plopped down in Europe, and this definitely has the feel of Italy despite the Britannia name. We've also stayed at the Intercontinental right at the top of the Spanish Steps (it's more like an American hotel if you like that), but I only recommend it if you get a good rate because it can also be too high for what you get.

Hope you have a great time,

Donna

We stayed at the Intercontinental De Le Ville Roma at the top of the Spanish Steps and loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Our friends just got back from their stay at The Inn at the Spanish Steps and really enjoyed their stay.

We enjoyed the Dei Borgognoni, which is located about midway between the Spanish steps and the Trevi Fountain. Lots of good restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. In fact, there is a grocery store next door. We felt comfortable walking in the area.

I will be going to Rome for a cruise with my 3 teenage kids, I was blindstruck by the cost of accomodations so am wonderinging if anyone could provide reasonable rate hotels relatively close and or easy to access train that will take us to the port in Civitavecchia the following day. Any last know pricing as well as contact info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We liked the Capo D'Africa, but I don't think the location is very good and we did not receive good value for the rates that we paid as compared with our experiences at other hotels in Rome.

We've stayed at the Hotel Britannia a couple of times and liked it very much. It is lovely (painted frescoes at every turn) and has excellent service and breakfast. The location is great, and that's very important in Rome. It is within easy walking distance of the major sights. It is a few blocks away from Termini Station but is in a safe area right over the Via National (sp?), which is the leather shopping district. We were able to walk to the Spanish Steps in about 10 minutes, and it's a lovely walk past several fountains. The Pantheon, etc. are a short walk in another direction. See some other threads on this site about the safety issues in Rome. The problem in the Termini Station area is the gypsies, but I don't think there's a lot of violent crime. You'll just need to take the normal precautions. Stay off Bus 64, which we call the pickpocket express, because the tourists are targeted very successfully on that crowded bus, and you'll never even know what hit you. (We have friends in Rome and Venice, and we've heard lots of stories from tourists at our hotels and elsewhere--even the Italians get ripped off.) You don't have to deal with all the crime issues in Venice--they run the gypsies off.

We found a recommendation for the Britannia in the Fodors book for Rome. We had a room with a balcony and felt very much at home. I think the sheets are Frette are something close to it--heavenly! It's not 5-star by any means, but it's a good hotel and a great value. As stated on another thread, I like hotels that have a local flavor and prefer not to stay in American hotels plopped down in Europe, and this definitely has the feel of Italy despite the Britannia name. We've also stayed at the Intercontinental right at the top of the Spanish Steps (it's more like an American hotel if you like that), but I only recommend it if you get a good rate because it can also be too high for what you get.

Hope you have a great time,

Donna

I have just booked the Hotel Lancelot, very near the Colosseum and a short cab ride from the main Termini station.Their website is http://www.lancelothotel.com and they seem very efficient.They are highly rated on tripadvisor and been praised on these boards.We are paying 158 Euros per night B&B for each of 2 doubles, although a quad room (which I understand is quite small) was available for 200 Euros per night. In Rome these prices are reasonable for a 3* hotel.The two room suite was of real interest to us but it was sadly unavailable.

We've also booked the Hotel Lancelot for 3 days pre and 2 days post our July 4th Galaxy Med Cruise. It's highly recommended. We've booked two terraced rooms on the 6th floor overlooking the Coliseum. Mrs. Khan, the owner, has been wonderful to work with, her staff appears to be very service oriented.

• 1 month later...

I am very sorry I did not research hotel prices BEFORE I booked our cruise for September 16 on the Galaxy. Don't know what I was thinking. We are booked at the very height of the tourist season and the rates for hotels reflects it - big time.

Hotel Britannia looks great, wish I could afford to stay there. Three nights will cost us $925! A little too high for my budget in Rome.

I am finding it very hard to find a hotel in a good area/clean and looks better than a flea bag hotel to stay in for three nights.

Oh well, I am booked, have my air tickets and will have to work this hotel thing out as best I can.

Keep the suggestions coming, they are all worth checking out....I may get lucky!

Thanks

he hotel looks great, but so is the price.......

$1,350 for three nights................

I don't want to buy the hotel, just sleep in it for a few nights. I just can't believe the rates and how high they are for the time we will be in Rome.

Marion

Thanks

he hotel looks great, but so is the price.......

$1,350 for three nights................

I don't want to buy the hotel, just sleep in it for a few nights. I just can't believe the rates and how high they are for the time we will be in Rome.

Marion

Are you a starwood prefered guest? You can either get a free room with pts. or you can get a roomhalf price for only 100 pts. Call Westin and ask. They also have specials. They have many hotles in Rome. We are booked at the Exscelsior..free. Howeer we have been before and are only staying one night!

Karen

Hi everyone,

I just found this really good website for hotels in Rome for you all to check out.

http://www.findyourhotel.net/hotel/rome.html

You plug in the price you are looking for & it gives you a whole list. You can check instant availability & price also. Also noticed that Italy has 24 hr. customer service.

Check it out!

Mary

Wish I had some points to use, we don't. I will check out the other sites. I have found that the rates are all pretty much the same from site to site, all government regulated.

http://www.travel.it/roma/bbsusy/index.htm

The above B & B has a good rate 100 Euros ($132 US, as of today). I did not want to stay near the Vatican but it might not be the end of the world. I was planning to spend one day at the Vatican anyway. The price is just what I wanted to spend. All the other places we saw on the Internet for the same amount looked like flea bag places. Yes, I know , you get what you pay for, I agree with that. Since we won't be spending too much time in the hotel, it might be ok.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Marion

Hi Marion,

I just checked out your B&B. Looks nice to me. I'm not crazy about the looks of the bathroom, though. Looks gloomy. Price is certainly right. Do you know what the booking terms are? Do you just give a credit card # to hold or pay upfront?

I am thinking that staying in the Vatican area might not be a bad idea either. It will probably be busy but you can do some walking tours without worrying about transportation.

I also checked out the hotel link on this website & it gives a whole bunch of hotels.

http://www.travel.it/roma/ourhotel.html

I like the looks of the Motel Morgana also. Looks really nice. Checked rates & it is E145.00. Not bad. In a good area also.

Mary

Archived