Are we bringing up a bunch of lazy rugrats?

Roy&Adrian

We've just come back from a cruise around the Med. Height of the season, so the Equinox was full of kids, running around, being noisy, doing kid stuff.

Now, I'll admit to being lazy on holiday but I worked hard to pay for this cruise. So imagine my dismay at seeing a pre-teen asking a pool waiter to get him a can of Coke (the drink of a lazy generation).

When I was a kid, I would be the one fetching drinks for my parents - I had more than enough energy to do that stuff. OK, I may have been upset because had the child gone to get his own drink, the pool waiter would have reached my sunlounger and I wouldn't have had to wait another 10 minutes for mine.

Kids today, eh?

The young man was on vacation too and well within his rights to ask the waiter to bring him a soda. Perhaps he did not wish to lose his lounge chair?

We taught our children how to use and receive guest services when we traveled. This is how they learn. Teach your children how to order a meal, how to tip, make a reservation, book a flight, etc. All useful tools when it's time for them to "leave the nest". It's also important to teach them how to handle things when there is a problem. Never argue with staff, simply go to a manager and state your case truthfully and politely.

I thought no matter what one's age, if you're a passenger and you want a beverage, you order it from a waiter and he/she brings it to you at your seat or table....no? Most cruises I've been on, if you are sitting in a lounger around the pool, there's usually wait staff coming by almost TOO frequently soliciting drink orders.

Always loved the "rugrats' term but think its misplaced by the OP. The kids are paying passengers (although Mom and Dad are paying) just like the grown ups. And when we see how many of the grown-ups can hardly walk around the deck without getting exhausted (we are not the exception) one could make a better case for adults to "walk for their drinks." We have no problem with kids and teens taking advantage of deck service as long as they are always polite to the crew.

Hank

:) Maybe it's my sense of humor :rolleyes:, but it seems to me OP may be kidding around with us. Maybe it's a 'tongue in cheek' post? :D

I hope so because otherwise I would agree with the others in that all passengers - regardless of age - are entitled to the same level of service. In fact, I think it is better that the youngster asked the waiter for the service instead of going to the adult bar where the service would likely have been from.

You know the younger generations are always spoiled.

But come to think of it we were all part of a younger generation. At least some of us were.

Keith

Considering I can afford to cruise on a regular basis, I would say that I am STILL spoiled. :D

well i'm british with what i hope is a good sense of humour but i didn't get the joke ...i think the slight humour was tagged on the end as an afterthought so not to sound like a grumpy git.

i don't see the problem with children ordering a drink from a waiter poolside. a fare is charged for them too so what's the issue. i have however seen a few adults where getting up of their bums would do them some good :D

The young man was on vacation too and well within his rights to ask the waiter to bring him a soda. Perhaps he did not wish to lose his lounge chair?

We taught our children how to use and receive guest services when we traveled. This is how they learn. Teach your children how to order a meal, how to tip, make a reservation, book a flight, etc. All useful tools when it's time for them to "leave the nest". It's also important to teach them how to handle things when there is a problem. Never argue with staff, simply go to a manager and state your case truthfully and politely.

How about manners??:confused::mad::eek:

Cato:)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New Yoek

.27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.

29th cruise - Regal Princess, 02 June - 19 June, 2014, Venice - Barcelona, - Venice 17 days

30th cruise - Royal Princess, 10 - 27 Sep. 2014 TA Copenhagen - New York

31th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

32nt cruise - Royal Princess 29 Dec - 08 Jan. 2014/2015, New Years, Fort Lauderdale. Ret.

How about manners??:confused::mad::eek:

Cato:)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat' date=' 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New Yoek

.27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.

29th cruise - Regal Princess, 02 June - 19 June, 2014, Venice - Barcelona, - Venice 17 days

30th cruise - Royal Princess, 10 - 27 Sep. 2014 TA Copenhagen - New York

31th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

32nt cruise - Royal Princess 29 Dec - 08 Jan. 2014/2015, New Years, Fort Lauderdale. Ret.

Just curious why you post all your past & future cruise in the message???

Most people put them in their signature box

Agree..a bit distracting..I opt to keep the signature box turned off as the posts can get sooo long.

Agree..a bit distracting..I opt to keep the signature box turned off as the posts can get sooo long.

Yes, some of us turn off the signature box to avoid just this kind of waste of space. :mad:

We've just come back from a cruise around the Med. Height of the season, so the Equinox was full of kids, running around, being noisy, doing kid stuff.

Now, I'll admit to being lazy on holiday but I worked hard to pay for this cruise. So imagine my dismay at seeing a pre-teen asking a pool waiter to get him a can of Coke (the drink of a lazy generation).

When I was a kid, I would be the one fetching drinks for my parents - I had more than enough energy to do that stuff. OK, I may have been upset because had the child gone to get his own drink, the pool waiter would have reached my sunlounger and I wouldn't have had to wait another 10 minutes for mine.

Kids today, eh?

Sorry folks,

It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek and not to be taken too seriously.

But if I was a kid on a cruise (with free drinks, ice cream, cookies etc - I had my first cruise when I was 43) I wouldn't be waiting for the staff to bring me stuff, I'd go and get it my self.

And being British, I still tend to go to the bar to get a drink rather than wait at a table to be served. On this occassion, the sun was beating down, the floor was hot and I'm bald.

Thanks for your thoughts, though

Roy

P.S.

I'm sure the kid in question was polite to the waiter. The waiter, being on a Celebrity ship, was professional as ever.

It's just that on this particular cruise (which was full and we were at sea at the time) the bar staff weren't as numerous as on previous cruises.

A sign of austerity in the leisure industry?

Roy

Archived