Transfers at Picton Wharf, NZ

Hi, It was recommended I try posting this on the Australia/NZ thread, as well as the Princess thread, so forgive me if you are seeing it twice.

As we will be sailing into Picton on Diamond Princess, we will be berthing at the larger, logging wharf which is further away from the township. I have been told that we are transferred from the ship into the town but wondered if you have scheduled times for the return transfer. What if we explored Picton and then wanted to go back to the ship for lunch. Can we expect to find a shuttle to transfer us or will we have to find a taxi? I was told by a lady in Picton that they won't allow you to walk the distance due to the dangers of it being a logging wharf.

As a Picton resident and cruiser I can assured you that the shuttle buses run continually all the day from the logging port into the town. The buses stop on the water front directly opposite the main street. There is no way you would be able to walk as it would be far too dangerous. It is only a 5 - 10 minute bus ride.

I am sure you will enjoy our town.

Yvonne

We spent our day in Picton, enjoying the attractive park on the harbour front, watching the bird life and the children sailing boats on the pond and doing the 'museum circuit'. We visited an Aquarium, now called ecoworld, the Picton Museum and the Edwin Fox Maritime Museum. It was an unexpected and enjoyable day - the museums were run by enthusiasts, both volunteers and employed staff and were an enjoyable complement to Te puia in Wellington. We found them using information from the I site but they are all on the web. Enjoy Picton. I wish it was on more NZ itineraries.

Thank you for posting about Picton. I was not aware that the big cruise ships used the logging wharf.... until this post I did not even know there was a logging wharf there.:eek:, and always thought Picton was limited to the small/med cruise ships.

Have many other big cruise ships called there and used the logging wharf?

Thank you for posting about Picton. I was not aware that the big cruise ships used the logging wharf.... until this post I did not even know there was a logging wharf there.:eek:, and always thought Picton was limited to the small/med cruise ships.

I know that Voyager of the Seas will be there on 18th November:D. Was originally down for Christchurch but that was changed quite a few months back.

If you check out this website you will see what ships are visiting Picton 2012/13. They have an * next to the ships that berth at the logging wharf

http://portmarlborough.co.nz/Cruise%20Ships

So pleased Colleen and Harry you enjoyed your day in Picton, I do think there is plenty of things to see and do and you certainly covered most .There are also several short local walks too. This season, volunteer information hosts meet the buses who will give you suggestions as well brochures. There is also the local "I" site office handy.

Blenheim is just an ordinary town and if you aren't interested in wine there is not much else there, except the Omaka Air museum. This is certainly worth a visit. It is world class and has been designed by Weta workshop, Peter Jackson owns or has donated the planes from the 1st World War. A stunning exhibition. Check the web site http://www.omaka.org.nz

I guess you might well smile when I tell you what we did last year while cruising on the Volendam. The ship had a day in PIcton so what to do wasn't a problem for us - we went home for the day! - managed to mow the lawns, did the laundry and ironing, weeded the garden, checked the mail, paid some bills, had coffee with the neighbours and voted as it was the Saturday fo the NZ General Elections, then back on the ship in time for afternoon tea!!

Yvonne

Yvonne, we will be in a similar position as we are spending a day in our home port of Tauranga. As we will be one day out from the end of the cruise, we toyed with the idea of getting off here but decided we wanted to be there at the end, so will go through to the finish in Auckland. Anyway, our car will be there and it's another good reason to visit the family.

Archived