Port Imperial parking or NJ Park & Cruise?

Tangocherie

To avoid driving into Manhattan and it's crazy parking charges, I'm thinking of parking my car at the Port Imperial terminal of the New York Waterway and taking the ferry over into Manhattan. Our's is an 8 day cruise. The Carnival Dream on November 23. We also want to visit NYC post cruise for a few days. We're talking about 10 or 11 days worth of parking here.

Is the ferry parking lot safe? Has anyone done this or am I crazy? Another parking option would be a hotel on the New Jersey side that offers a park & cruise stay. What do you think? What are my options?:confused:

Some folks have parked at Port Imperial. However, someone did mention it was $10/day but an additional $10/day for overnight. You would have to check it out - not super cost effective at $20/day plus ferry fare plus cab in NY.

I would check out the Secaucus motels that would include parking - they don't seem to advertise very much - you would have to call them directly. La Quinta has been mentioned as a possibility. From Secaucus you would have to take a cab or a bus into NY, so your choices are going to depend on your ability to handle your luggage. Buses are a quick trip to Port Authority bus terminal where you would take a cab to the pier. PA has lots of escalators and elevators, but you still have to roll your luggage.

I'm happy to report that a nice manager (Jennifer Jackson) at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in Weehawken, NJ has agreed to my leaving my car parked there during my cruise. I will be staying there pre-cruise. Looks like a nice place to stay. It's just across the river to Manhattan and the ferry is only a few steps away. Looking forward to it. :D

The Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is a very nice place. I live about 5 miles north of it on the cliffs overlooking the Hudson River. Your other option if you just want to check the price is the Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ. NY Waterways has a Lincoln Harbor Ferry and a Weehawken Ferry. Both are right across the Hudson River. The Homewood Suites also has the parking, there may or may not be a better price. Both places are right on the river so you can't go wrong

I'm happy to report that a nice manager (Jennifer Jackson) at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in Weehawken, NJ has agreed to my leaving my car parked there during my cruise. I will be staying there pre-cruise. Looks like a nice place to stay. It's just across the river to Manhattan and the ferry is only a few steps away. Looking forward to it. :D

I think you've got a very good plan. Once you land on the Manhattan side you'll be only a few steps away from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, an easy walk or a very quick taxi ride.

Regarding the area in which you will be staying, this is all newly re-developed. You'll have some nice views of Manhattan, and comfortable surroundings. However, don't expect much that is old or historical. You'll also have convenient access to the light rail system should you decide to go to Hoboken for dinner or otherwise.

We are going on the Carnival Dream Nov 15th. I called Homewood and found out parking is free. Buses and ferry etc are here. I think we will take a ride before then and do this. People there were very nice and helpful.

I live 5 minutes from the area you are discussing and take the ferry on a regular basis.The Weehawken Ferry runs 7 days a week. The Homewood Suites has a shuttle that takes you straight to the Ferry...it is 2 miles down the road. The Edgewater Ferry runs only on weekdays but that is much further north of Homewood. There is also a company on Fort Lee called GW Taxi that I have heard charges very reasonable rates to the port if you want to take a taxi. It is a much nicer place than The Sheraton.

Archived