Edinburgh Tattoo - Hills, Walking

sunluva7

The Ocean Princess will be docked in Rosyth for the Edinburgh Tattoo. For you who have been to the Tattoo with the ship's excursion - the excursion description mentions an uphill climb to the castle of nearly a mile from the bus drop-off point. How strenuous is the hike? No physically handicapped people here - some of us just aren't in the best physical shape, and I want an idea of what to expect as to the distance, type of road surface and incline. We were in Lisbon last year, and the streets of the Alfama neighborhood, especially, were lovely - but exhausting!;)

The Ocean Princess will be docked in Rosyth for the Edinburgh Tattoo. For you who have been to the Tattoo with the ship's excursion - the excursion description mentions an uphill climb to the castle of nearly a mile from the bus drop-off point. How strenuous is the hike? No physically handicapped people here - some of us just aren't in the best physical shape, and I want an idea of what to expect as to the distance, type of road surface and incline. We were in Lisbon last year, and the streets of the Alfama neighborhood, especially, were lovely - but exhausting!;)

Steep incline to castle; not easy for anyone who is a smoker or has compromised lung capacity.

We did this a couple years ago and a bit will depend on where your bus parks. Ultimately the castle is at the top of a hill and there will be a bit of a walk. Good thing it's all downhill afterwards : )

The tattoo is a must see however......

• 2 weeks later...

The free cab service did not run on tattoo nights last year. It is quite gradual though steep so it all depend if you can take your time or not. There is a flight of stairs at the end but you can take a walk around if you want

• 1 month later...

We went to the Tattoo last August. At the time I was wearing one of those very fashionable 'boots' on my foot as I broke an ankle about a week before the cruise. I was able to walk up the hill, slowly, without too much trouble.

It all depends on where your bus is parked but it shouldn't be too far away. As others have said it is uphill to the castle but there is usually a queue to get in to the tattoo which shuffles along at a nice steady pace so you won't feel rushed and it is downhill on the way back. Try and keep to the pavements rather than the cobbled road and wear flat shoes. Make sure you also have a waterproof! I hope you enjoy the tattoo.

p.s. My office window looks right on to the Castle- lucky me:)

Archived