wow. 8 and 3 year olds have to tip??

Traveller20074

5 of us going, 2 adults, 3 kids. So, will be paying $12x4 per day for tipping charges. 2 adults and 3 children would be going. The kids would be 8, 3 and 18 months (the 18 month old would be exempt, they don't charge for the tip under 2 years old)

So, $48/day tipping charges. An 8 and 3 year old would be charged the tipping fee. Somehow I don't think that's fair :eek:

9 (days) x $48 = a whole LOT OF MONEY :eek:

Not to mention the airfare for 5.

Almost $2,000 to New York.

this is getting way too expensive for my tastes :eek:

I'm leaving Friday with 8yr and 6yr old.

Remember, it's not a tip, it's a daily service charge.

They will mess up a bed every day and occupy a seat in the dining room every day, just like Mom and Dad.

It seems harsh, but I can understand.

Look do I think it is fair yes, as it very clear from NCl

In the cause of saving us all a lot time posting the same old pro/con arguments I have done my FQA v.1.2 on the DSC. Some here will claim this information should be not shared as it is teaching people how to get out of them, I take the view you will anyway if your this cheap no matter what, so lets not wast time. I pay the DSC and add some cash at the end when I find service to be above normal.

First two things from the NCL website so you have some base understanding.

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salaryand incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,which is automatically added to your onboard account andsubject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees07/2011 according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance.A portion of the service charge collected by Carrieris also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19262 If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

"Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise.Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

From these two statements issues arise in that one part NCL clearly states "subject to adjustment at your discretion" yet it is claimed by some here on CC this not what it really means but is a legal loophole so NCL is not legally obligated to consider the DSC as wages and have tax issues. So again you should not think you can.

The 2nd statement then says "Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges." once again letting you think you can.

So with the DSC background defined so clearly by NCL themselves here we go.

Yes they can be removed. Bottom line you go the service desk ask them to remove it, insist they remove it; they will ask why and want a reason. By firmly stating you do not believe in tipping and demanding it be removed they will remove it. If you give any other excuse they will try and get you to not remove it and fix your problem.

You will be called cheap, uncaring and lots of other things here on CC. In the line on the ship you may well find others staring, glowered, making comments on your decency or where you were born. You may feel like a heal, but you can do it.

Many on CC feel if you’re going to do this, do it the first day so the crew knows you’re cheap and may ignore you and pay attention to those of us who tip and deserve their attention.

Some claim you will have scarlet mark entered next to your name and some claim a list goes around to all staff and your room steward. Also it will be pointed if removing any part of the DSC and you then tip cash it just goes back to this fund anyway, so why bother

No good reason in your mind to remove it is accepted here. If you have an issue on the ship you should go the service desk or call the hotel director @ x8888 and he will do his best to fix it, that is correct way to show your displeasure.

Now here are some of the CC reasons to leave the tip and tip well.

You’re contributing to the whole crew who works so hard, many of the crew who you never see to tip any other way. Think about their family’s wellbeing, how will they survive if everyone did this? These are the people who do the jobs, us rich Americans never would and do for 13 hrs a day all for so little pay, far below our minimum wage laws. They do it for you 7 days a week, 10 months a year, all separate from their families and homes. So now just because you can, you’re cheating them of a better life by being a cheapskate.

The DSC of $12 is less than you tip for the same value when on another type of vacation. It will be pointed out that other lines suggest higher tipping than NCL’s $12. Yet other will say the inside cheaper cabins should tip less than the balconies and mini suites and that is not fair. Other lines do suggest tips be higher based on cabin choice. Other lines only just suggest tips and you leave an envelope at the end, but they also if choosing a” freestyle like” dinning choice require you to prepay it.

This is the crew's pay. With the exception of a SERIOUS lapse, there is no reason why you should feel entitled to remove the crew's pay. End of story. This is not ancillary income for them. It's their core compensation.

Last my feeling if your trying to get out of it is;You knew about the fee's when you booked so just pay it and shut up or do not sail NCL.

5 of us going, 2 adults, 3 kids. So, will be paying $12x4 per day for tipping charges. 2 adults and 3 children would be going. The kids would be 8, 3 and 18 months (the 18 month old would be exempt, they don't charge for the tip under 2 years old)

So, $48/day tipping charges. An 8 and 3 year old would be charged the tipping fee. Somehow I don't think that's fair :eek:

Do your kids not sleep in a bed and use sheets, towels, the bathroom etc.

I posted because I was so shocked. Sorry to have started a war :o

I am paying $3,000 for the cruise for 9 days. Almost $2,000 airfare for 2 adults and 3 kids.

I am just in sticker shock and wondering if I might just leave them home. I can't afford all of that.

Yes, they use the bathroom. We don't make THAT much of a mess LOL

Oh boy .... put your helmet on .... :rolleyes:

I am paying $3,000 for the cruise for 9 days. Almost $2,000 airfare for 2 adults and 3 kids.

I am just in sticker shock and wondering if I might just leave them home. I can't afford all of that.

The answer is yes. The service charge is per person. They still need to be served, therefore the service charge also applies to them.

They are also taking the spots of 2 adults that would be paying that service charge, otherwise the staff pay would be greatly reduced if half the ship were children.

My last cruise, the children stayed home.... I didn't regret it one bit.

Yes, they use the bathroom. We don't make THAT much of a mess LOL

No war started..lol I guess the best way to look at it is you are paying 5K for cruise and airfare..is that additional $216.00 in service charge for the kids really going to make you rethink taking the kids ? For all the staff does I think $12.00 a day is a bargain. Enjoy your cruise.

Wow......so your 8 and 3 year old don't require any services at all? No clean up in the stateroom or bathroom? No special requirements for the 3 year old? Milk, juice or water every day. Your children are totally clutter free and don't make any kind of mess!? My grandchildren (same age as yours) could use some pointers from yours on how to stay clean and clutter free.

Seriously. It may seem like a lot, but when you consider that there are 5 of you in the stateroom that does require room cleanup (trash, linens, towels, fridge re-loading, etc.) I think it is quite fair.

Relax, enjoy your cruise and try not to worry about it. If possible cut the cost somewhere else so you don't have to worry about it.

Nice if we had "Adult Only" cruses. We did the Panama, only 8 kids on the whole ship.:) How about,- folks with kids pay a surcharge to other passengers, as well as the service charge.;) Not that I don’t like kids!

We could only afford to take our bunch camping.

Partly correct. The kids need to pay the DSC. That's the Daily Service Charge. It's for the services that the kids will be using.

The DSC isn't a tip. A tip is money that people givr to the crewmembers after paying the DSC, which isn't a tip.

Five can live as inexpensively as.......

five.

OP - when you go to a restaurant, do you figure the tip based only on what you and your husband eat and not your children??

It's simple. They are being provided a service (and in many cases - more work than adults) - their linens are changed, their towels are washed, they get served at a restaurant, their dishes are cleaned.

I couldn't imagine spending this much on a cruise and worrying about the $216 you have to spend for your 3 children to have these things provided (because the 18 month old you don't even have to pay for, yet they will get service as well)

It does work out to a little over $400/ticket, which for one or two people would be good. :D

So you're saying the prices aren't unreasonable... just you can't afford it?

That's a decision you have to make.

Personally, I pay $20 a day to have my dog taken care of while I'm away (thankfully there aren't two)!! ;)

Nice if we had "Adult Only" cruses. We did the Panama, only 8 kids on the whole ship.:) How about,- folks with kids pay a surcharge to other passengers, as well as the service charge.;) Not that I don’t like kids!

We could only afford to take our bunch camping.

Here Here! We couldn't afford a cruise until all three of mine moved out and then some! We camped in tents and that's something they will always remember!

Is wondering why the family is going on NCL and not Disney when the children are so young?

I would stab myself in the eye with a rusty nail before I took kids aged 8, 3 and 18 months to Disneyland. You would need a week of rest afterwards.

What's wrong with taking them on a cruise and making some wonderful family memories?

I would stab myself in the eye with a rusty nail before I took kids aged 8, 3 and 18 months to Disneyland. You would need a week of rest afterwards.

What's wrong with taking them on a cruise and making some wonderful family memories?

I think that poster implied Disney cruise line. I may be wrong.

OP, the daily service charge/tip is per person and certainly not unique to NCL.

Yikes. This is a hot topic for many. Prepare yourself.

I never questioned the fee that I paid for my 5 young children. Not only did they receive the same service as adults, they also took advantage of the kids club (we tipped extra, as well), and didn't spend any extra $ onboard (ie - didn't gamble, enjoy spa services, consume alcohol). With only one adult in each of our cabins (on paper), NCL lost money on our family.

A PP questioned why they didn't do a Disney cruise with such young children - if they are questioning the small service charge, they are NOT ready for the pricetag on DCL!

Archived