A Different Kind of Smoking Thread!

Fydlstyx

I think I have come upon a solution that will make balcony people happy. As a balcony smoker, I am thinking of putting a note in my neighbor's "mailbox" if there is one outside the cabins on our ship. If not, I will sticky tack it to their door. The note will say:

Hello Cabin #----- Neighbor,

I am a balcony smoker. My smoking is typically limited to when I wake up, and before I go to bed at night. If you plan to have a meal on your balcony, or happen to be spending time outdoors when I am smoking, and find that I am disturbing you with my smoke, please feel free to lean over and let me know. I will be happy to go inside and allow you to enjoy your meal in peace.

Additionally, I am a notorious over-packer, prepared for pretty much any eventuality, so should you be in need of a band-aid, some Dramamine, or something similar, you are welcome to knock on my cabin door and I will share whatever I have that you might need.

We hope to see you around the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Your neighbor in Cabin # ------

If you were the recipient of such a note, would you appreciate it, or would you think I was loonytunes?

Sherry

I have asthma and am very sensitive to smoke. Our 1st cruise was in 2003, and we didn't cruise again for almost 10 years because of the amount of smoke in the public areas. We gave cruising a try again last September. I had all the smoking areas mapped out on the ship so I could avoid them. I carried my rescue inhaler with me at all times.

I would be very happy to receive your note and would have no problem cooperating with you so we could both enjoy our balconies without me having an asthma attack and so you don't have to go into nicotine withdrawls. I think a little courtesy goes a long way, and it's something that seems to be lacking on both sides of the hostilities.

I also travel prepared for all possible catastrophes, so if you find yourself needing something, just hollar ;)

Actually, I think it sounds quite considerate:)

Exactly. While I don't think a note is necessary, all non-smokers ask for is a little consideration. If you hear the clanking of my silverware, please hold off on smoking. I'll return the favor by keeping my voice down, turning off my light, and maybe even buying you a drink at the bar. :)

No note please.

If I book on a balcony on a cruise line that allows smoking on the balcony, then I know what to expect. It's your right to smoke there. There are plenty of lines to book that do not allow smoking on the balcony.

I wish all non-smokers felt this way, then there would be fewer smoking vs. non-smoking threads. While I do not disagree that non-smokers have just as much of a right to enjoy their balcony as smokers do, knowing that smoking is allowed on the balconies (at least on Carnival's ships) and then complaining about it makes as much sense as booking a cabin under or over a lounge, knowing the potential for noise, and then complaining about it. Do the rights of one cruiser to enjoy their cruise supercede the rights of another cruiser? I don't see the necessity in posting notes on your neighbors' doors (or mailboxes) about your intentions to do something that some may find annoying, especially in regards to smoking.

I think this is one of these smoking threads where you will not reach any consensus on this.

I would tell you not to do as you have said.

Keith

".... one of these smoking threads where you will not reach any consensus..... "

Are there ANY smoking threads where we reach consensus? :D :eek:

I think I have come upon a solution that will make balcony people happy. As a balcony smoker, I am thinking of putting a note in my neighbor's "mailbox" if there is one outside the cabins on our ship. If not, I will sticky tack it to their door. The note will say:

I am a balcony smoker. My smoking is typically limited to when I wake up, and before I go to bed at night. If you plan to have a meal on your balcony, or happen to be spending time outdoors when I am smoking, and find that I am disturbing you with my smoke, please feel free to lean over and let me know. I will be happy to go inside and allow you to enjoy your meal in peace.

Additionally, I am a notorious over-packer, prepared for pretty much any eventuality, so should you be in need of a band-aid, some Dramamine, or something similar, you are welcome to knock on my cabin door and I will share whatever I have that you might need.

If you were the recipient of such a note, would you appreciate it, or would you think I was loonytunes?

Sherry

It's a good idea! As a non-smoker, from a state where smoking is banned almost everywhere, I would find it wonderful to get a note like yours. The laws here have made everyone more sensitive to the smell and smoking really reeks. Rather than ask smokers to move or stop (as they often get so offended), I usually end up having to move myself and not enjoy things as much. If someone made the effort to tell me what you have in your note, I would really appreciate that. I would know then that I could communicate with you without bad feelings on either party.

I too would appreciate the communication. Knowing the typical times that you would expect to be out smoking would make it easier for me to arrange my planned time to sit out on the verandah, and knowing that it wouldn't be 24/7 smoking. Having the lines of communication open makes it easier to address any possible issues.

I have a condo where we had upstairs neighbors once who could get quite loud. We'd never spoken, and I was not comfortable going to their door, so it made things kind of rough. We eventually got communication going, and things were much improved.

OP....

Just my opinion, of course, but maybe reconsider offering bandaids and headache remedies. That wouldn't 'appeal' to me very much. While we know you mean well, it's a be careful atmosphere we live in these days. Mom taught me to not take pills from strangers. :D

Nice you are trying to find a compromise and keep everyone happy.

Sherry

I'd be happy with such a note, although as someone else suggested I'd probably leave out the part about sharing things, well-intentioned though you are.

The best solution is the one I use. I am a smoker and obey the rules....in other words I don't smoke on my balcony! Even when it wasn't policy I didn't smoke on the balcony out of respect for my neighbors.

As a new cigar smoker, I think its a great idea. Smokers on the balcony never bothered me, but I want to be considerate of my neighbors, and usually speak, in a cordial manner when in passing, or going in and out of the rooms. Since cigar smoking is a lengthy, time consuming process, I would check to see if any was out before lighting up, as I wouldn't put out the cigar once lit, since the length of the cigars I smoke usually take an hour or so to go through. I usually only smoke late and night, and think most are sleep, or at a show when I light up. Great idea, but the protest to have smoking abolished anywhere, anytime, whether on land or sea will think otherwise.

A very good thought; while I really dislike second hand smoke, and would prefer that smoking on balconies be banned, I have absolutely no right to expect someone who has booked passage on a line which permits balcony smoking to give up what he/she's rightly sees as appropriate activity on their balcony.

I would greatly appreciate the gesture suggested - and should accept non-use of my balcony for those times that a smoker wants to so use his balcony. That sort or courtesy goes a long way ( I would still think that the smoker was a nut for continuing to smoke - but at least a courteous nut who still remains entitled to destroy his health as he sees fit)

I would not offer band aids, etc. that would come across as being patronizing, but the offer of limiting smoking times -and advising when those times will be - goes a long way in erasing the annoyance which smokers usually generate in me.

As a new cigar smoker, I think its a great idea. Smokers on the balcony never bothered me, but I want to be considerate of my neighbors, and usually speak, in a cordial manner when in passing, or going in and out of the rooms. Since cigar smoking is a lengthy, time consuming process, I would check to see if any was out before lighting up, as I wouldn't put out the cigar once lit, since the length of the cigars I smoke usually take an hour or so to go through. I usually only smoke late and night, and think most are sleep, or at a show when I light up. Great idea, but the protest to have smoking abolished anywhere, anytime, whether on land or sea will think otherwise.

Keep in mind that many of the cruise lines that permit smoking on balconies do not permit cigar and pipe smoking there. On those lines, cigar and pipe smoking is only allowed in designated areas, usually cigar lounges, not on balconies. It appears that even for those "permissive" lines, the strong scent of cigar and pipe tobacco is too intrusive.

The following Cruise Critic article, while a bit dated, gives a decent overview of what is restricted on different cruise lines. But be aware that on some lines additional restrictions have been put in place since this article was written. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Archived