Mediterranea heading back to Florida?

HiiPocket

http://webcams.costa.it/ShipInfo.asp?name=Mediterranea

Am boarding in Ft Lauderdale 3/15, and noticed today it appears via the Costa web cam and positioning system that the Mediterranea is heading back to Ft Lauderdale. Was on its way to Key West last night after leaving Ft. Lauderdale on saturday. Any ideas as to why? or is this just a web cam malfunction? Just looks very strange?

We sail April 5th.

It looks as if it is sailing and it should be in port until 5:00pm according to the itinerary. I don't know that you can tell it is sailing back to Florida though. Anyone have an updated itinerary? You know it could just be an old picture.

The map does show an unusual route. The ship seems to be heading south (181 degrees). I guess we will find out what happened in a week when the current passengers get off.

Maybe they are on an Eastern route and not a western so today would be a sea day I think. Even at that it should not be going to the Dominican Republic first, I thought Eastern goes to Puerto Rico first. Anyway, south 181 degrees takes it away from Florida.

How can you tell which direction she's sailing?

Because it left Ft Lauderdate yesterday (saturday heading western Carb.) and was almost to Key West when I saw it last night. Now it is back to east coast of Florida. It sails Saturday to Saturday and the Fortuna sails Sunday to Sunday.

Someone who lives in Key West and was supposed to meet the ship for an excursion just said that there was a missing passenger.

I thought something was wrong, guess its all those reruns of CSI Miami. :) I hope everything turns out ok.

MIAMI -- The Coast Guard is searching for a 39-year-old woman reported to have jumped from the cruise ship Costa Mediterranea early Sunday morning 20 miles southeast of Key Largo, Fla.

The Costa Mediterranea's crew notified the Coast Guard at 1:18 a.m. reporting that the woman's boyfriend, traveling aboard with her, said she had become angry and agitated and then unexpectedly jumped overboard.

The Coast Guard Cutters Farallon and Confidence, a HH-65C Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and a C-130 Hercules from Air Station Clearwater, Fla., were dispatched to conduct the search.

The Coast Guard Cutter Confidence is a 210-foot medium endurance cutter homported at Port Canaveral, Fla.,

The Coast Guard Cutter Farallon is a 110-foot patrol boat homeported in Miami.

MIAMI -- The Coast Guard is searching for a 39-year-old woman reported to have jumped from the cruise ship Costa Mediterranea early Sunday morning 20 miles southeast of Key Largo, Fla.

Coast Guard they dont need, they need to call Horatio Caine of the Miami CSI, he will solve the case.

http://webcams.costa.it/ShipInfo.asp?name=Mediterranea

Am boarding in Ft Lauderdale 3/15, and noticed today it appears via the Costa web cam and positioning system that the Mediterranea is heading back to Ft Lauderdale. Was on its way to Key West last night after leaving Ft. Lauderdale on saturday. Any ideas as to why? or is this just a web cam malfunction? Just looks very strange?

I just read that a woman jumped overboard , that may be the reason.

Okay, I don't get it. Even if someone was lost overboard why would they take the ship back to FLL? I can understand being late for the next port for an at sea rescue attempt but to turn the whole ship around????

Sorry to hear about this person and hope that they find her soon, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Okay, I don't get it. Even if someone was lost overboard why would they take the ship back to FLL? I can understand being late for the next port for an at sea rescue attempt but to turn the whole ship around????

At first I was thinking the same thing but I would have to guess it is for legal reasons, like investigating what happened.

Sorry to hear about this person and hope that they find her soon, but this doesn't make sense to me.

You can't turn part of the ship around!

The Law of The Sea - do everything to possible to save and rescue life.

The ship was not being taken back to FLL, but was retracing its previous course, these days it is very easy and quick to do with computer controlled navigation and GPS. The chanes of finding someone alone is sadly very slim.

Ron

You can't turn part of the ship around!

The Law of The Sea - do everything to possible to save and rescue life.

The ship was not being taken back to FLL, but was retracing its previous course, these days it is very easy and quick to do with computer controlled navigation and GPS. The chanes of finding someone alone is sadly very slim.

Ron

Thanks for clarifying--didn't know why they would go back to FLL--your post makes sense. Returning to FLL did not make sense to me. I would think the coast guard ships would have the small cutters that would make the rescue easier. Please keep us updated as the news develops!

The Coast Guard has now called off the search for the missing girl.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/451409.html

Looks like the Carnival Liberty has headed back to Ft Lauderdale today as well. Nothing in the news about that one yet.

I sail saturday on the Liberty. Let me re-phrase, I am "suppose" to sail saturday on the Liberty.

Looks like the Carnival Liberty has headed back to Ft Lauderdale today as well. Nothing in the news about that one yet.

I sail saturday on the Liberty. Let me re-phrase, I am "suppose" to sail saturday on the Liberty.

Thanks for the link update--did someone go overboard on Liberty too? We leave on Sat on the Med---is there a rash of suicides going on?

Thanks for the link update--did someone go overboard on Liberty too? We leave on Sat on the Med---is there a rash of suicides going on?

I dont know Arlodog. Still nothing on the news wires yet. She looks to be at full speed, 19 knots, so that would probably rule out mechanical. Maybe a medical emergency or another overboard.

I am getting "antsie" too. Btw- you will love the Med. She is my favorite ship, although I didnt like the last cruise director Stephano.

Archived