HMC recommendations

minegal2002

Gosh - just read about the possible # of ships at HMC at once....might just stay on board !!

We're on the Maasdam out of Norfolk on 10/17/06 - Southern Caribbean cruise.

Would like advice on whether to rent a clamshell etc. ??? What is a good idea and what isn't ?

We haven't been there for 5 years - and enjoy sitting on the beach or walking about -

Any ideas ?

I think if there are 2 or 3 ships we'll not bother :-o

Thanks!

To my knowledge there have never been three ships at HMC at the same time. There were a couple of threads recently where it appeared there would be, but IIRC it turned out not to be so. There had either been changes in itinerary, or one week had a reverse itinerary on one of the ships.

What makes you think there are three ships scheduled the day you are supposed to be there?

Minegal; DW and I will be on the Maasdam with you for the Oct. 17 cruise. Just a couple days ago we rented a clamshell on HMC. We'll be there that Thursday, Oct. 19. For $9.00 it's no big deal. I recommend it. They say it's nice there. On this link: http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/default.aspx

There is a cruise calender showing our itinerary and what other ships will be in our ports at the same time we're there. It shows we'll be the only ship at HMC that day. I hope the link works. Take a look.

Harvey

I really highly recommend the cabanas at HMC! It is the luxurious way to spend the day. They are a bit further down the beach where it is less crowded, too.

Check out CABANAS

Good luck! Are there 14 cabanas? Fourteen cabanas/3000 passengers = 214 passengers per cabana. Most passengers will have to do something else.

Rent clam shells. It is nice to get out of the sun at times. If I ever go to HMC again with two ships, and I have vowed not to, I will skip the lunch buffet. It was a disaster. Eat on board.

It really is a delightful island with a great beach.

Good luck! Are there 14 cabanas? Fourteen cabanas/3000 passengers = 214 passengers per cabana. Most passengers will have to do something else.

Rent clam shells. It is nice to get out of the sun at times. If I ever go to HMC again with two ships, and I have vowed not to, I will skip the lunch buffet. It was a disaster. Eat on board.

It really is a delightful island with a great beach.

Agree with this..Eat on board but rent a clamshell! You have to get to the island by 11:a.m to get your clamshell..But you can go back to the ship & eat in the Lido & then go back to the Island for the rest of the day..It's a beautiful island:cool: Enjoy your cruise..:)

Do you typically need to rent a clamshell in advance? I will be there in Nov and was looking at getting one. Do you have to pick it up by a certain time and if so, from where? I have kids so we would like to stay on the beach near the kids area. Is this possible to do with a clamshell? Thanks!

I would order the clamshell now. It is just like any other shore excursion order. They could shell out.

We were among the last onto HMC. The first kiosk said they were out of clamshells. We hiked down to the other kiosk. They had no record of our ordering a clamshell, but jotted down our info and gave us one. The HMC crewman then set up the shell for us.

When we went to Half Moon Cay last year (around the same time you're going), our ship was the only ship there....and, it looked pretty crowded w/just one ship. It wasn't nuts or anything, but a good amount of people. I'm not sure I would find the experience as good if there were two ships (or more) unloaded there at the same time.

We didn't rent a clam shell or a cabana, but I wish we would have gotten a clam shell. It was scorching and it would have been nice to have a little shade to sit under from time to time. Have a great cruise!

ok experts,

There are 4 of us, 2 couples and there will be 2 ships in the day we are there. We need advise: should we just skip going ashore altogether, should we go for just awhile and rent a clamshell or should we just forget about the clamshell. It will be last Novermber and probably about all we would really want to do is a little snorkeling or take a dip in the water. DH doesn't snorkel, the other 3 do.

I need your ideas.

Thanks a bunch,

Nita

A clamshell is $9 for two people---not a lot of money even if you feel it's been wasted. Book one. That way you leave your options somewhat more open if you decide you want to stay a while. You will have a retreat to come back to after getting out of the water.

Don't decide now to stay on the ship. You can go ashore. If you decide quickly that you absolutely hate it then you can go back to the ship. You won't have wasted much.

If you decide you like it you can stay and enjoy!

A clamshell is $9 for two people---not a lot of money even if you feel it's been wasted. Book one. That way you leave your options somewhat more open if you decide you want to stay a while. You will have a retreat to come back to after getting out of the water.

Don't decide now to stay on the ship. You can go ashore. If you decide quickly that you absolutely hate it then you can go back to the ship. You won't have wasted much.

If you decide you like it you can stay and enjoy!

thanks Ruth, we really intend on going ashore. On our last NCL cruise one of the best days was the private island. I felt like I was back in high school at a beach party. I am just reading so much about how crowded it gets etc and thought maybe we should forget it. Thanks again, I think we will rent a clam shell and suggest our friends do the same. NMnita

I tried to find the clamshell rentals on HAL website under shore excursions, the only things listed are the cabanas and the extra person charges for the cabanas. Some above posters said that they could be reserved ahead of time. If they aren't listed, does that mean they are all reserved?

It's possible that they are all reserved, but I would call HAL & talk to someone to see if they could get you one...If they are all sold out, keep going on-line daily, as people could cancel their cruise right up to final payment..The clamshells could open up if enough cancel..If you still can't get one as soon as the Shore Excursion Desk opens on-board, ask them if they have any available & if not, ask if they would place you on a waiting list for one..Keep checking with them periodically..

We were there in mid-May...We went over to HMC around 10 & were set up adjacent to the children's playground which is also close to the ferry dock...You must pick up your reserved clamshell by 11: a.m. but suggest you get there much earlier in order to get set up near the playground...The clamshells are made for two, but our friend came to the beach with us (her DH stayed on-board until lunch time) & had not rented one, so we asked the set up Gal if we could pull another lounge in with us..She was very accommodating & we gave her a few $$ for setting us up..It was tight with 3 but very much needed..We all live in Florida & know what the sun can do...Even then with all the sunscreen, we still had burned shoulders, while walking on the beautiful beach & swimming....

At the children's playground they have a tiki hut up a flight of stairs, where you could sit in chairs (not lounges) & get some shade...Some of the floats (fake alligators, turtles etc.) which are anchored in the water had barnacles on them so suggest you check this out before allowing any little ones near them..Barnacles are very sharp & they could be severely scratched by them!:( These sccratches could also become infected..!

Next time we're going to get our clamshell set up early & go back on board for lunch..We're not crazy about well done Hamburgers,:( but the chicken & hot dogs were fine..Enjoy your cruise...:) Betty

Good luck getting the clamshell. I do recommend you get off the ship and take in this beautiful island retreat. There are areas further down (away from the kiddie island) that are quieter. There was even a shuttle to the buffet, for people who chose to hang out further down the beach, or didn't want to walk in the heat. After all the eating on the ship my husband and I had been doing, we should have walked. Enjoy! (It was one of the prettiest islands I've ever seen....)

I think there will be two the day we are there. I still will go to the island and have a good time. We may not stay long, just long enough to do a little snorkeling and have a bite to eat or whatever. NMNita

What day will you be there? I'm on an October 17th cruise on the Amsterdam out of New York. I think we hit HMC on the 21st and will be there from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Are we there the same time?

Blue skies ...

--rita

What day will you be there? I'm on an October 17th cruise on the Amsterdam out of New York. I think we hit HMC on the 21st and will be there from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Are we there the same time?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I wish we were I would love to meet you. We won't be sailing until the 29th of November. I can hardly wait, but like I have said, we are so busy right now, I think I am glad we have a little extra time. Now, it's the wait game for cabin conformation. We booked gty. Never have we gained much by this; first time for everything, right?

Archived