Adult's Only Cruises During Summer?!?!

dustythreads

I love your child. He or she is adorable. Trust me, it was so cute when you are your little darling were singing into her toy microphone five feet from where I was trying to read.

Yes, yes. Isn't it so great that your teenage sons are standing on the second story of the pool deck and throwing the basketball off the ledge towards the hoop while I am swimming? They are going to be pro athletes, for sure.

Why on earth would I be offended that your child pushed my lower back on the stairs of a ferry? I am just standing, waiting patiently for the folks in front of me to disembark. Your child should be first and I appreciate him reminding me of that.

No, no. Don't worry, it did not disturb me at all that your drunk daughters were running through the halls banging on cabin doors while screaming. It was 2 a.m. and I have no business sleeping.

Never you mind that the sign says "Adults Only". Of course it's acceptable that your eight year old splashes around.

However, I do think it's time to investigate an "Adults Only" cruise next Summer.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Love your post and can relate to your experiences. Don't know of any adult only cruises in the summer. We avoid the summers to avoid what you've described. ;) We also tend to cruise with a large group; folks generally don't bring their kids.

I love your child. He or she is adorable. Trust me, it was so cute when you are your little darling were singing into her toy microphone five feet from where I was trying to read.

Yes, yes. Isn't it so great that your teenage sons are standing on the second story of the pool deck and throwing the basketball off the ledge towards the hoop while I am swimming? They are going to be pro athletes, for sure.

Why on earth would I be offended that your child pushed my lower back on the stairs of a ferry? I am just standing, waiting patiently for the folks in front of me to disembark. Your child should be first and I appreciate him reminding me of that.

No, no. Don't worry, it did not disturb me at all that your drunk daughters were running through the halls banging on cabin doors while screaming. It was 2 a.m. and I have no business sleeping.

Never you mind that the sign says "Adults Only". Of course it's acceptable that your eight year old splashes around.

However, I do think it's time to investigate an "Adults Only" cruise next Summer.

Your post definitely made me laugh, but I can relate and understand what you'e not looking for! Its not a relaxing vacation when kids are unruly.

Why not look at itineraries for Crystal cruises or Oceania.. Regent Seven seas, Azamara Club cruises? We were on Celebrity in May, there were very few kids on board.

Thanks for your replies. While I am not particularly well off, I think it might be time to try one of the luxury lines. My concern is that I will have worked really hard to save all that money and still be confronted with the same issues I faced on the reasonably priced lines.

Is there a noticeable difference with rare courtesy and rare sense with the behavior of the passengers after making the transition to the more expensive lines?

-------------------------------------

Hey dusty!

In 2009, I tried to host an Adult only, Official Cruise Critic cruise...lots of interest -not many signed up...Reasons: time of year, itin, etc.

...so I changed it for general public.

Turned out that there we only a hand full of "crumb-crunchers" on board.

Seriously, we found that the variables that affect the amount of kids has to do with: whether they're in school , how long of cruise, and avoiding Orlando, (you know, D-world connection.)

So we generally go, 2-3 weeks or so after New Years holiday, and end of August beginning of Sept.

Like you we love kids, but that isn't the debate. It's a cruise vacation!

Soooooo...Any true Adults Only cruises would be a chartered ship , often with Lifestyle or clothing Optional groups like Bare Necessities.

So unless, you are a closet nudist, or a swinger advocate/voyear follow the above advice.

Warning, too long of cruise during these times may have a much older senior citizen contingent than desired..

We did a 12 day in early Feb 2011, and even the CD on board had never seen such an older crowd. Good news tho, late show seating was easy to find:rolleyes:

We're doing the awsome Oasis of the Seas AGAIN, Jan 12, 2013, pricing with specials, Crown and Anchor coupon, and paid gratuities, it's about the same as Carnival 7 day.

Good luck!

Mike

We agree completely.

As one RCL multi-cruiser said while in the hot tub with a tub full of nak*d fellow cruisers: "Damn, I'm never going to be able to go on a 'regular' cruise again!"

(See our signature below for hints)

• 2 weeks later...

Totally love your post! DH & I always pick times when there will be the least amount of kids on the cruise. We avoid all other times..

I've found that the third & fourth week of January are great. The kids are back in school and most likely won't be out again till the end of February beginning of March for spring break.

End of April till the first week of May, but anything after that till the middle of September is worthless as all the college kids are off and then all the other kids.

We also won't cruise around Thanksgiving or Christmas either. We would probably do the 1st or 2nd week of December because I think most parents would wait till Christmas break to cruise.

By staying within these times and always doing a 7 day cruise or longer, we've managed to have trips where I've seen less than 10 children on the entire boat.. It's been awesome!!

• 1 month later...

We have found that time of year and length of cruise affect the number of children onboard. I also think Celebrity has fewer children as they do not offer the same number of activities as other lines such as RCI or NCL.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go on one of the full ship winery charters. Smaller ships, lot's of great people, and no kids!

Some people might think a "wine cruise" will be full of drunks, that's not the case at all in our experience. People didn't drink to excess and in two weeks we saw only a few people who had a bit too much. But there no obnoxious drunken behavior and you wouldn't have known they had overdone it if you weren't actually having a conversation with them. If anything people were pretty reserved about their consumption.

Go on one of the full ship winery charters. Smaller ships, lot's of great people, and no kids!

Some people might think a "wine cruise" will be full of drunks, that's not the case at all in our experience. People didn't drink to excess and in two weeks we saw only a few people who had a bit too much. But there no obnoxious drunken behavior and you wouldn't have known they had overdone it if you weren't actually having a conversation with them. If anything people were pretty reserved about their consumption.

Which lines usually do these? We've looked into Celebrity's wine cruises but they're not full ship charters like you mentioned. My husband and I would love that!

Which lines usually do these? We've looked into Celebrity's wine cruises but they're not full ship charters like you mentioned. My husband and I would love that!

I've done them on Wind Surf, and I've got another booked on the PG to Tahiti. I know that Seabourn has them and one of the river cruise boats in Europe has hosted them as well. Usually they are sponsored by the winery and have a charter company put all the details together.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Depending on line, time of year, location and duration there may be few children on board.

We've never had any issues with unruly kids on our cruises:

-We did a 2 week with Star Clippers which had a 5 year old, an 11 year old, and a 16 year old. Everyone else was a legal adult.

-Windstar openly discourages children, I think the youngest person I saw was maybe 14?

-Later we did Carnival, yes Carnival, in January. There were 80 children on board(our of over 2000) with 40 of those being under the age of 5. I felt bad for the youth staff; they looked so bored.

-We also did Celebrity to Alaska at the beginning of the season. I can't remember the number of kids they told me. I'd guess it was under 100 on a ship built for around 2000 guests. Not sure it was even that many, perhaps only 50.

If you stay away from NCL, Carnival, and RC during breaks as well as very short cruises you really shouldn't have any issues. Stay away from Disney! :D

Edited by lrowe70

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all of the advice. I have one more tip; be watchful of the school breaks of the local children that live close to the port you are sailing from.

I took a cruise from NYC in the middle of January and there were over 800 children on board because there was a week long school holiday for a group of children that went to certain a religion's schools.

It was wild and quite disrespectful to other passengers; I had booked in mid-January because I expected there would be little if no children. Boy was I wrong. Every thing that could happen with lots of families on board, happened. From fighting fathers in the embarkation terminal to families pushing seniors over to push their way through when disembarking.

I really don't know how I would have known as I am not from the NYC area but I guess you never know. :o

Happy cruising all!!

Windstar is definitely a good choice. They won't accept bookings for children under six, have no club, children's menu, or any amenities at all for children. I understand that from time to time a couple of teens might be with their parents, but this is not the norm, and I have never heard of disruptive children in that line. We sailed for two weeks last summer and the youngest person in board was an 18 year old with his parents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...

Loved your reply post..especially about the jacuzzi! My apartment has a pool and jacuzzi and it's always full of kids..even in the evening. I like to go out at about 9:30 on a school night with my glass of wine and soak sans bathing suit..sadly I was invaded by young kids last time and they complained about the naked old lady...I can't complain about the kids though..what are kids doing in the pool at 9:30 on a school night anyhow? Shouldn't they be in bed?

Anyhow my question..As a new cruiser-what is a Take Over? Does this mean you just casually take the ship over and go butt naked in the pool because theres more of you etc?

Sorry to be so dumb about this but I really want to know how this works!

Best wishes

Elle (aka PlantCrone)

• 2 weeks later...
We agree completely.

As one RCL multi-cruiser said while in the hot tub with a tub full of nak*d fellow cruisers: "Damn, I'm never going to be able to go on a 'regular' cruise again!"

(See our signature below for hints)

Wife and I spent a week at a resort in Jamaica that was mostly textile with a nude beach. We agreed to go try the nude beach our first day, and if we didn't feel comfortable, spend the rest of the vacation on the main property. We both loved it and spent the entire time (from right after breakfast until just before dinner/sunset) at the nude beach/pool.

So, we are comfortable enough to probably enjoy one of the cruises like is in your signature line. The question/dilema is this, from what I can see those cruises are usually 2-3 times the cost of a "vanilla" cruise. I can't justify to the wife paying that much more for a cruise so we can spend the at sea days nude. Why do they have to raise the cost so high? Makes no sense to me, especially if the ships are selling out. I could almost see it if they only sold 50% of the cabins, they'd have to make up the lost revenue. But for a sold out cruise, it just seems like highway robbery. Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the advice. I have one more tip; be watchful of the school breaks of the local children that live close to the port you are sailing from.

I took a cruise from NYC in the middle of January and there were over 800 children on board because there was a week long school holiday for a group of children that went to certain a religion's schools.

It was wild and quite disrespectful to other passengers; I had booked in mid-January because I expected there would be little if no children. Boy was I wrong. Every thing that could happen with lots of families on board, happened. From fighting fathers in the embarkation terminal to families pushing seniors over to push their way through when disembarking.

I really don't know how I would have known as I am not from the NYC area but I guess you never know. :o

Happy cruising all!!

my wife and i were on the miracle out of NY 1/17/2013 and it must of been the same holiday. it was a well deserved cruise without our kids and we picked that week because it was cheap and thought there would be no kids on board. man were we wrong. lots of kids. lots of rude people. we still had a great time and met some great people.

Loved your reply post..especially about the jacuzzi! My apartment has a pool and jacuzzi and it's always full of kids..even in the evening. I like to go out at about 9:30 on a school night with my glass of wine and soak sans bathing suit..sadly I was invaded by young kids last time and they complained about the naked old lady...I can't complain about the kids though..what are kids doing in the pool at 9:30 on a school night anyhow? Shouldn't they be in bed?

Anyhow my question..As a new cruiser-what is a Take Over? Does this mean you just casually take the ship over and go butt naked in the pool because theres more of you etc?

Sorry to be so dumb about this but I really want to know how this works!

Best wishes

Elle (aka PlantCrone)

Takeover cruises are just that....a charter booking a whole ship so naked and party time runs a course without having to offend guests who do not appreciate public nudity or sexy touching.

My love and I are sometimes able to find hot tubs on the ships after hours to enjoy a naked romantic soak, but it's a rare treat. Hopefully, we can find a late night tub on the Silhouette.

• 2 months later...

Nude cruises are full ship take overs. No kids. We just took one. The nude Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam was great. Nice ship, good food, great weather and the nicest people, both the crew and passengers. We had a wonderful time.

• 3 weeks later...
Love your post . Should be more adults only cruises.

Hey RnJ,

Here's a previous quote of my experience of attempting to organize a Couple Cruise... Problem is ...is that more prioities are put on time of year, cruise line and ship.

Previous post: "In 2009, I tried to host an Adult only, Official Cruise Critic cruise...lots of interest -not many signed up...Reasons: time of year, itin, etc.

...so I changed it for general public.

Turned out that there we only a hand full of "crumb-crunchers" on board.

Seriously, we found that the variables that affect the amount of kids has to do with: whether they're in school , how long of cruise, and avoiding Orlando, (you know, D-world connection.)

So we generally go, 2-3 weeks or so after New Years holiday, and end of August beginning of Sept.

Like you we love kids, but that isn't the debate. It's a cruise vacation!

Soooooo...Any true Adults Only cruises would be a chartered ship , often with Lifestyle or clothing Optional groups like Bare Necessities.

So unless, you are a closet nudist, or a swinger advocate/voyear follow the above advice.

Warning, too long of cruise during these times may have a much older senior citizen contingent than desired..

We did a 12 day in early Feb 2011, and even the CD on board had never seen such an older crowd. Good news tho, late show seating was easy to find:rolleyes:"

So, We're doing a Baltimore based Grandeur of the Seas AGAIN, this May 30. There's a "Crown and Anchor" Savings certificate available thu Mar 31.

Hoping that it is not like a previous Baltimore RCL "geriatric" cruise ship

Good luck! Here's hoping someone can come up with a formula for adults/couples cruise that actually happens!

Mike-