need recipes for limoncello

andrea63

I remember reading numerous reports of people bringing along limoncello. I bought a bottle today and I do not know what to mix with it. I tried it over ice and it was really STRONG! Any suggestions? Can you give me approx. measurements in you concoctions? Thanks!

I remember reading numerous reports of people bringing along limoncello. I bought a bottle today and I do not know what to mix with it. I tried it over ice and it was really STRONG! Any suggestions? Can you give me approx. measurements in you concoctions? Thanks!

Hi!

Do a search for limoncello - there are 2 or 3 recipes on CC. Also, check Google.

We tried some onboard as an afterdinner drink on one of our cruises. Cold and straight up in a liquor glass. I prefer port, Sambuca, or a cognac.

I've read it is Danny Devito's favorite and that he needed a fair amount of it to put up with Rosie O'Donnell recently on The View.

My mother-in-law bought limoncello while in Venice and when it ran out, we tried to make it ourselves but it didn't work. There is nothing like the original limoncello, which can be found in some of the oldest, most rundown basements in Italy. I think it's hard to make because of strong contect of alcohol (32 degress).

However, if you do decide to still make it, try googling "old world italian limoncello" and see what you find.

Sincerely,

Rita

If you feel it is too strong to drink on its own try mixing it with Champagne or sparkling wine it is very yummy that way. I just add a shot or two to a glass, I think you will like it.

This recipe for Italian Limoncello was posted on this board by Largin. Here is the link for the recipe:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm

Enjoy.

Jean

Started a batch using this recipe just before Thanksgiving and it was ready by Christmas. Taste's great, and our friends say its just like on the ship. Key is to keep it in the freezer and serve it cold from there. Wouldn't be the same over the rocks IMHO.

We are in training for the upcoming Western Caribbean trip 6-Jan!

If you feel it is too strong to drink on its own try mixing it with Champagne or sparkling wine it is very yummy that way. I just add a shot or two to a glass, I think you will like it.

Thanks for the replies! I will try mixing it with something non alcoholic or something mild. I bought the limoncello in the market already made. I tried it on the rocks and wow, it was strong. I tried a dash of limoncello and a dash of vodka and just as strong. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this strong liqueur. Anyways, thanks again for all the replies!

After all the raving about it for the past year or so that I have heard, I just tried it onboard the Crown and I thought it was disgusting. :eek: JMO

Me too! That's why I was looking to see how people drink it. I really do not want to put it in the trash can just yet.

Andrea,

I was at the grocery store and they had some lemon pound cakes and lemon poppyseed ring cakes. I'll bet you could drizzle some on those like they do on rum cakes. If you try that, let us know how it tastes after it soaks into a cake.

Andrea,

I was at the grocery store and they had some lemon pound cakes and lemon poppyseed ring cakes. I'll bet you could drizzle some on those like they do on rum cakes. If you try that, let us know how it tastes after it soaks into a cake.

Thanks for the ideas to try it in baked goods. I probably will not be baking for a while since we are so bloated after christmas and we will be cruising in 2 weeks. I hope it tastes better in baked goods because right now our opinion of it is AWFUL! Luckily I bought it on sale so DH will not ring my neck if I throw the stuff out! When I get around to using it in baked goods, I will let you know how it was.

I drink lemonchello in drinks called "Lemon Drops". I have had some that are delicious and others that are way too strong for me. The first one I ever had was in a bar in Florida and it tasted just like the lemon drop candy with the sugar on the rim of a martini glass.

Try some of these recipes.

1. Combine vodka, cranberry juice and a splash of lemoncello in a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

2. Combine 1-1/2 oz lemoncello and 3 oz cream in a shaker. shake well and pour into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with a lemon strip.

3. Pour lemonade in a tall glass with a splash of lemoncello.

4. Pour 1 oz Lemoncello in a tall glass over ice. Fill with unsweetened iced teas. Add sugar to taste.

Enjoy and Happy New Year.

Regards,

I drink lemonchello in drinks called "Lemon Drops". I have had some that are delicious and others that are way too strong for me. The first one I ever had was in a bar in Florida and it tasted just like the lemon drop candy with the sugar on the rim of a martini glass.

Try some of these recipes.

1. Combine vodka, cranberry juice and a splash of lemoncello in a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

2. Combine 1-1/2 oz lemoncello and 3 oz cream in a shaker. shake well and pour into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with a lemon strip.

3. Pour lemonade in a tall glass with a splash of lemoncello.

4. Pour 1 oz Lemoncello in a tall glass over ice. Fill with unsweetened iced teas. Add sugar to taste.

Enjoy and Happy New

Regards,

Ahh, recipes I can try. Thanks! I will go to the store and buy some cranberry juice later. I was not ready to throw away the entire bottle of limoncello quite yet. Happy New Year to you as well!

I got to the grocery store today and bought diet sprite, diet mountain dew and a few juices to try mixing with the limoncello. I first tried the sprite and mountain dew to see what those tasted like without alcohol. I usually drink diet coke. I decided the mountain dew would probably be better with the limoncello. It was good. I couldn't even taste the limoncello which was a good thing because by itself it is awful! If you ever are at the grocery store and on a whim decide to buy a bottle of limoncello you better get yourself a bottle of mountain dew to go with it. Cheers!

Add a Canadian to that list .....

I love it (lemoncello)when we were on the Diamond this past Nov. My DH disliked it which was good cause I drank his also. Then our favourite server (April in The Savoy) came by and topped up my shot glass....I think I was asleep less then one hour later...;0

Thanks for posting the recipe I am going to make some today :)

I have made it many times. The posted recipe is good. However, a local Italian Restaurant owner told me to use pure grain alcohol 198 proof. I usually have to buy it in Mexico. Sometimes I can get it here in California. It's called Everclear. He said you need the higher alcohol content to best extract all of the lemon flavour from the zest.

Regards

You are all so funny with the people rolling over in their graves. I tried the limoncello today with the diet sprite. That is also good and not as sweet as the mountain dew. I think this should get the Italians, Americans and Canadians to roll over once again in their graves and be in the right position.:) Cheers, and Happy New Year to all!

Try drizzling a little Limoncello over lemon sorbet or lemon Italian ice for a real treat! ...how about a limoncello snow cone??:)

The bottle of limoncello I bought before Christmas actually had drink recipes on the label/tag. One was for a limontini...hmm.

Go forth and experiment!:D

Archived