Would you sail on RCI's new ship?

M.S JAZO

I will only post this thread on boards with large ships, CCL, Princess and RCI. Would you sail on the new Genesis Of the Seas? Lets looks at some Positive and Negative points of the new MEGA ship, and please do add if u think of some, and please, its only MY opinion, And everyone can express there opinion, I think :confused:

Positives: Alot of crap to do, If you like to be busy, This is your ship that is boarding.

- Getting to try alot of firsts, We know when RCI has a new Biggest ship,something new is bound to come along as features

- Good pricing, I think so, I mean, the more heads they can stuff onboard, the lower the prices would be, I am not sure if it is, Atleast the first voyages dont count as they are maiden.

I honestly think there are alot more Negative points to this ships size

- Long ass lines, I mean come on, 6400 passengers to feed for breakfeast, lunch and dinner, Holy crap, if people have complained of cold food coming to the table, get use to it

- Getting of and on the ship. 6400 people on a line? Enough said!!!

- Tendering, Should i even say more. Wait, Perhaps they found Celebrity's Zenith a new job.

- Service, Ok so a ship with like 2200 passengers has like 900 crew members, so GOS is almost 3 times that, and RCI is not putting 2400 crew members onboard. Or are they? I dont think so, Poor Service? Its a good question!

- Ports, What ports can handle her? Miami? Ya ok, thats a start, Sure Grand Cayman, but even Zenith cant help here. Do i see long lines. Costa Maya, ya maybe. St Thomas, well she would take the space of 2 ships, and could she even get in the harbor. Puerto Rico, Can she make those turns to get in, And what about NYC, sure Red Hook would do, But I dont think Carnival and NCL are willing to share. Would Bayonne do, I dont know?

- Now looking at her from the point of view of other ships arriving at a port where she is. I think the concept of no shore excursions would take place. She has 6400 passengers doing tours. WOW!:eek: I think i will stay onboard. Shopping, Hm, Doesnt this seem like Christmas eve all over again? And this line looks like The East Bound Belt Parkway. OMG, Shoot me NOW!!! Oh and i think Deck Chair Hogs would take new meaning? Whats this, RCI is taking reservations for Chairs?? Holy Cow:p

Ok, and here is a HOTT topic. KIDS. Ok, dont get me wrong, I love kids, But when packs form, LOOK OUT:eek: . 1000 kids onboard will probably be the average number. Is it just me or do i actually see people jumping off as soon as they see land...., Wait, thats just me jumping:rolleyes: Cuba Hoo

And one note that isnt really funny. God forbid something happens onboard, Fire, Sinking, anything, Imagine 6400 pax trying to get of. Arent ships crew trained to get all of in 30 mins of less? I think thats what i have heard. Doesnt the number of passengers change the time in which everyone should be off a ship in an emergency? I think there is a Maritime Law for that.

Again, This is my opinion. And I just might probably here sssooo much about my comments, But, As i said, Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I totally agree that the negatives outweigh the positives, for a ship of that size.

I prefer the initimacy of the Serenade Of The Seas.

6,400 people! I envision a nightmare, with every aspect of cruising.

What is going to be the ratio of passengers to crew? I can't help but wonder how the great RCCL quality of service can be maintained, on that monster?

Maybe Maybe Not..

Yes,there will be more people...Ok...tons more people.But that also means more space,more rooms more venues.More Dining options.Hopefully bigger Theatres..So it might not matter..

What causes me the most concern is the number of folks unloading on an Island at one time..Not to mention how long it could take to tender..But good grief...Its already Chaos with 3-4 ships (and many times more) at 2800-3600 per...Can you imagine that plus 3 ships with almost 7000 per ship :( :mad: :eek:

I'd sail on it.

As far as tendering and/or getting on and off in port goes, I would assume that they don't build a ship that holds twice the passengers without doubling the on-off capacity. That means twice the number of gangplanks... spread out along the length of the ship. And twice the number of tenders. And since the thing takes up the space of two ships in port... well there won't be any more people in each port then will there? There will be one less ship but the same number of people swarming the port area.

Keep in mind that I've never sailed on a small ship before... just Radiance class and Voyager class. Neither felt too big to me.

Like all things I guess it just depends on your personal taste. :)

I don't pick a cruise just for the ship. If the ship offered an itinerary I liked, I would sail on it. If not, then no.

I'm with you on that one.

Which is why I won't be going on the Freedom anytime soon.

We wish all of the itinerary's we liked were on Voyager class ships(our favorite) but unfortunately thats not the case.

Don't think you will find us on this one. Embarkation/debarkation would be a nightmare. People moving is just not of RCI's strong points. Don't get me wrong - I love Royal Caribbean, and after 7 cruises in 3 1/2 years we know patients is a virtue. I just can not see this working well.

Limited ports due to her size and can you imagine the departure ports? 6,000 people trying to find a hotel room the night before their cruise? Ooh boy, I think I will pass. Sorry RCI.

Sign me up, I'd love to sail her. All the negatives posted are based on trying to stuff more passengers into a ship design like the current ships. I think when this ship launches we will see some new and interesting facilities that will be designed for this many people. like multiple tenders, mulitple dinning rooms and kitchens. What if the 3 1000 person dinning rooms each with there own kitchen?

so I can't wait to step foot on her. But again I love to go christmas shopping on xmas eve and the day after thanksgiving!

I agree with the OP about the reasons for not sailing a ship of this magnitude. I cannot conceive of them making the amenities proportionatly larger with the increase in passengers and staff. The top deck surface area is not going to double, which means the pools and outdoor things are going to suffer an enormous increase in demand. I think theidea of reserving deck chairs is not all that far off. Sea days will be a like rush hour in New York. I think RCCL lost sight of the fact that sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

Jerry

My friends and I will be on the Genesis class ship as soon as they begin accepting reservations. But they need to let us reserve now as it will take three years to pay for a balcony on that behemoth for sure! :eek:

Contrary to most posts I've read here and at other boards, I prefer larger ships. We were on the Jewel in December and I was just so disappointed about the lack of Voyager class space, activities, and I really missed the Promenade. I kept thinking: we need to get ice show tickets then I remembered: no ice skating rink. Bummer! The Jewel was lovely, but it did not compare IMHO to the Voyager class ships I've sailed (Mariner, Adventure). We are booked on the Freedom of the Seas this year--Aug. 6. There are just so many more options on RCI's larger ships, and I'm sure that crowding issues at tendering, meal times, etc., will be well-thought out and at worst a minor inconvenience just as they are on the Voyager lines now. I'm sure there were similar fears about Voyager-class ships years before they debuted yet they remain popular and will probably become industry standard in years to come.

By the time Genesis sails, I should have about RCI 10 sailings under my belt. Maybe we'll be able to book the inaugural!!

... to the RCI powers that be if they are lurking at this board. Re future Genesis features: (1) a true movie theater with popcorn, not some glorified little conference room with a screen; (2) pool tables?????; and (3) figure out a way to pipe in more than one or two NFL football games during football season/playoffs. I am a Redskins fan. Could you mix in some NFC games???? The world does not revolve around Cleveland and Green Bay!! :p That will be all for now. :D There will be more suggestions after our August Freedom cruise!! :D

I think I might try it just once for curiosity, just to take a look at the ship.

I don't have a problem with them building a ship of this size, but I'm a little alarmed at the number of passengers they plan to accomodate on it.

5400 to 6000+ maximum ? I think the QM2 only holds 2600 to 3000 maximum ?

I think 4000 - 4500 passengers would sound more reasonable for this new ship. They must ensure that the PUBLIC areas & facilities can accomodate that many passengers without feeling overcrowded on sea days, & I think that may not be an easy task given the number of passengers they're planning for this ship.

I think I might try it just once for curiosity, just to take a look at the ship.

I don't have a problem with them building a ship of this size, but I'm a little alarmed at the number of passengers they plan to accomodate on it.

5400 to 6000+ maximum ? I think the QM2 only holds 2600 to 3000 maximum ?

I think 4000 - 4500 passengers would sound more reasonable for this new ship. They must ensure that the PUBLIC areas & facilities can accomodate that many passengers without feeling overcrowded on sea days, & I think that may not be an easy task given the number of passengers they're planning for this ship.

The space ratio for a 220,000 GRT ship with 5400 passengers is 40.74. Not great, but not bad either. Basically this ship will have less room per passenger than the Freedom OTS or the Voyager OTS, but more room per passenger than the Vision / Rhapsody or Monarch OTS. For comparison - the space ratio on other RCI ships:

Freedom OTS - 44.0

Voyager OTS - 44.3

Serenade OTS - 43.3

Rhapsody OTS - 39.2

Monarch OTS - 31.4

Archived