NCL Star vs Sun ?

Manish

We are going on our first cruise on NCL from Sept. 5th till 12th. We have two choices, NCL Star or NCL Sun.

The NCL Star route is: Seattle, Victoria, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway

The NCL Sun route is: Vancouver, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Skagway

The Star is a total of $800 more compared to the Sun for two of us. The Star goes through Glacier Bay. Is Glacier Bay worth paying $800 more compared to the Sun ? We have never been to Alaska or ona cruise before. We are getting balcony rooms on both of them. We have a 16 month old baby with us.

Please advice.

Thanks

Manish

Hi there...

I had the same two choices and chose the Sun. (August 8th)

I chose it because of the flights in and out of Vancouver, I am in Toronto and am more comfortable flying to Vancouver than Seattle. I have heard Glacier Bay is more spectacular than Sawyer Glacier... however, I have seen photos of TracyArm and Sawyer that were jaw droppers ~ I am pleased with the Sun itinerary.

THe Star is a bigger by about 15,000 tons, longer by 80 feet and has more passengers. The Sun is a little newer. The star has that cool hull art. :)

It is really hard to say! I would recommend you take which ever one makes the flight easier travelling with a baby.

Let us know what you pick

Tough choice. Both are one of the best ships in the Fleet. I looked at both earlier this summer and booked the Sun. Cruises inside Vancouver Island to the inside passages. For some reason I liked the port times better. What really closed the deal was I was able to book an Aft AF Mini for less then the Balcony on the Star. The difference in air made it about equal. If you have to fly there can be a big difference in the cost to Vancouver vs. Seattle.

I have not been on the Star but have been on the Dawn 3 times. Twin sister. I would have loved to do Glacier Bay but the Tracy Arms excursion to Sawyer was something I wanted to do as well.

In the end the Sun turned into a no brainer when NCL called and we upgraded into an AD Suite total cost still a few dollars less the the Star balcony

Enjoy which ever ship you pick.

Thanks for your reply.

Forgot to add that we are total vegetarians (Dairy is OK). Which one has better vegetarian food ? Star or Sun ?

Thanks

Manish

Note sure - I know the Dawn had a whole line in the Buffet for vegetarian choices. You need to check if is the same on the Star. I don't remember if they had one on the Sun since my cruisemates didn't eat any veggies (go figure) unless you consider booze a veggie :D .

Both ships will have at least one vegetarian choice on the main dinning room menu each night. Some better then others.

The food has to better better on the Sun since they get it in Canada. Isn't that right Casshew :D

We are going on our first cruise on NCL from Sept. 5th till 12th. We have two choices, NCL Star or NCL Sun.

The NCL Star route is: Seattle, Victoria, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway

The NCL Sun route is: Vancouver, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Skagway

The Star is a total of $800 more compared to the Sun for two of us. The Star goes through Glacier Bay. Is Glacier Bay worth paying $800 more compared to the Sun ? We have never been to Alaska or ona cruise before. We are getting balcony rooms on both of them. We have a 16 month old baby with us.

Please advice.

Thanks

Manish

We were on the NCL Spirit early in July. I've got some nice pictures of the Star when she came in to Juneau and Skagway and also some of Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier if that might help you make your decision - I prefer to leave from Seattle, but only because it's much more convenient.

http://community.webshots.com/user/brunolvr

• 6 months later...

I had book on the sun for alaska 9/3 mini suite and canceled when I found out the airfare package from NCL would likely fly to seattle and bus us to vancouver (3 hour bus trip) so we are rebooked on the star mini suite and bought my own flights $400.00 less on AA/OR United to makeup the price differance.

I wanted to my air through NCL but to make this work we had to do it this way.

I have never been on the sun or the star but have been on the Dawn and have been told the star is the same we loved the dawn.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Thanks for your reply.

Forgot to add that we are total vegetarians (Dairy is OK). Which one has better vegetarian food ? Star or Sun ?

Thanks

Manish

Manish,

All NCL ships have a veg. side at lunch with GREAT Indian food. I pig out (pardon the phrase:D ) at lunch and go lite at dinner. They do have a veg entre at dinner but I usually can`t find anything I like so I go with a big salad.

Be careful of the hot soups. Made with animal stock.

Shoreguy,

Yes I do consider booze a veggie. They are all made with fruit or grains, ya know:D . Have a great cruise on the Dawn, have a martini for me

Shoreguy,

Yes I do consider booze a veggie. They are all made with fruit or grains, ya know:D . Have a great cruise on the Dawn, have a martini for me

I plan to no matter where the ship ends up. Last night it was in San Juan and today I don't know. We need to end up on the same ship again and have a martini together again.

Sorry to hijack this old thread...now back to the Sun/Star question ;)

I have sailed the Sun twice and the Star four times. Both are the same age, they were christened nose to nose. The design of the Sun is based on the older Sky (now Pride of Aloha) and the Star was a new design at the time. The cabins of both have the exact same carpet and decor. Overall, I think the Star is a little nicer. Any time you get a later design, they have of course thought of some improvements. The Sun bathrooms have the old round shower with the friendly curtian. :) The Star has separate shower stalls with a sliding glass door. I enjoy both ships. If the price were equal, I would choose the Star. For a price savings like that, I would choose the Sun. Either ship is a great choice.

TBC

Archived