Black and Blue Onion Soup Recipe

Sandie

We loved the Black and Blue Onion Soup served in the Crown Grill onboard the Emerald Princess. Does anyone have the recipe?

Thanks,

Sandie

I have looked in my Princess Cookbook and the recipe is not there.

We loved the Black and Blue Onion Soup served in the Crown Grill onboard the Emerald Princess. Does anyone have the recipe?

Thanks,

Sandie

Sandie,

Princess has a recipe request email address on their website. I've always had great success in requesting a recipe.

Try this link:

http://www.princess.com/customer_care/emailform.jsp?cat=GI&subcat=s1&subject=Request%20f or%20recipes%20and%20bar/wine

Thanks,

Sandie

What is different about the Black and Blue Onion Soup (as compared to regular onion soup)?

Thanks,

The Black and Blue onion soup uses Blue Cheese instead of Mozzarella. The taste and texture is unique and very smooth.

Thanks for the email request link - I will also try to see if a reply will follow.

Sandie

The Black and Blue onion soup uses Blue Cheese instead of Mozzarella. The taste and texture is unique and very smooth.

Thanks for the email request link - I will also try to see if a reply will follow.

Sandie

YUM :) That would be great with the beef stock they use for the base...somehow beef and blue go together so well :)

I hope someone can get the recipe I have had hot and cold responses with asking for recipes

• 3 weeks later...

I asked the Head Chef in the Crown Grill on the Crown just last week how the Black and Blue Onion Soup was made. Sitting at the cooking bar watching them was such a great night.

The Chef headed up both the Crown Grill and Sabatinis on the Crown and went between the two restaurants.

He didn't give me the amounts because he of course only knew it by making the large amounts, including using a whole bottle of Johnny Walker Black.

They used red onions (he said they were the most flavorful in his opinion) and sauteed them. Boiled a good chicken stock (not broth) for an hour with the sauteed onions. Then added Johnny Walker Black and boiled for another hour. Season with salt and pepper.

A crouton was placed in the soup and blue cheese was put on top and broiled.

Thanks,

Sandie

You can google this recipe very easily, it took me about 5 seconds to do it.

I found this on Facebook:

t19788524059_3013.jpg

Post #32

Princess Cruises wrote11 hours ago

Here is the recipe you reqeusted. Enjoy!

Black and Blue Onion Soup

6 Servings

Soup:

4 medium-sized sliced white onions (1 lb, 5 oz)

5 cups chicken stock

1/8 tsp fresh thyme leaves

½ tsp olive oil

2 tbsp Jack Daniels

Roquefort Crust:

½ loaf white or French bread

1 garlic bulb, cut across the grain

Olive Oil

½ lb Roquefort cheese, crumbled

• Sauté the onions in olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until browned, being careful not to burn them. Add thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes

• Add in the Jack Daniels and carefully flame off the alcohol

• Add the stock and simmer for 1 hour, over a moderate heat, allowing the onions to stew and thereby releasing their natural sugars and flavor

• Season to taste

• Ladle into ovenproof bowls

• For the Roquefort crust – cut the bread into rounds, sized to fit into the bowls. Rub the garlic bulbs across the bread. Place onto baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven until crisp and golden brown

• Top each soup portion with a round of toasted bread and thick layer of Roquefort cheese. Place in the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and serve immediately

[/url]

I found this on Facebook:

t19788524059_3013.jpg

Post #32

Princess Cruises wrote11 hours ago

Here is the recipe you reqeusted. Enjoy!

Black and Blue Onion Soup

6 Servings

Soup:

4 medium-sized sliced white onions (1 lb, 5 oz)

5 cups chicken stock

1/8 tsp fresh thyme leaves

½ tsp olive oil

2 tbsp Jack Daniels

Roquefort Crust:

½ loaf white or French bread

1 garlic bulb, cut across the grain

Olive Oil

½ lb Roquefort cheese, crumbled

• Sauté the onions in olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until browned, being careful not to burn them. Add thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes

• Add in the Jack Daniels and carefully flame off the alcohol

• Add the stock and simmer for 1 hour, over a moderate heat, allowing the onions to stew and thereby releasing their natural sugars and flavor

• Season to taste

• Ladle into ovenproof bowls

• For the Roquefort crust – cut the bread into rounds, sized to fit into the bowls. Rub the garlic bulbs across the bread. Place onto baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven until crisp and golden brown

• Top each soup portion with a round of toasted bread and thick layer of Roquefort cheese. Place in the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and serve immediately

[/url]

Thanks!

The chef told me that they use Johnny Walker Black, not Jack Daniels. The Black is what gave it half of the name.

Just keep in mind that the chef from the Crown Princess told me that they only use red onions in this soup, at least on the Crown. He said using white won't make it as flavorful and it will taste slight different than on the ship then.

I know that Princess put this on facebook but it's a bit different then what the Chef who runs the Crown Grill and Sabatinis on the Crown told us just the other night. We had sat at the "cooking bar" and he came around and spent some time talking to us. With his gorgeous eyes it was hard to focus on listening to his recipes and tips!

Thank you, Linda90 and cjskids for your help with finding this recipe. I appreciate the extra tips from the chef on the Crown. I hadn't thought of looking on Facebook - I will keep that in mind in the future.

Sandie

Sandie

But what is the Black?

I'm not saying it's wrong, but Johnny Walker is a Scotch ... yes??? I don't think I've ever heard of a recipe using Scotch. But, it could be correct! Either way, I've copied the recipes even before I try it this summer on the Ruby.

I'm not saying it's wrong, but Johnny Walker is a Scotch ... yes??? I don't think I've ever heard of a recipe using Scotch. But, it could be correct! Either way, I've copied the recipes even before I try it this summer on the Ruby.

Scotch and Whiskey are the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Calling it a scotch just seems to increase the prices :p

Archived