Klaipeda - Questions Re the Curonian Spit

MalibuCA

We will be in Klaipeda in August from noon to 8 p.m. We plan to wander around the Old Town on our own. At this point, we could return to the ship, but I've been reading about the Curonian Spit and how beautiful it is to visit. I know that we can go to the Curonian Spit by ferry, but I'm not sure how to do this. I know that the Old Town is only a 10-minute walk from the ship, and I've read that it's a very short ferry ride to the Curonian Spit. Can you please tell me specifically how to get from the Old Town to the ferry? Which ferry do we take? When we get off the ferry, are we right there at the Curonian Spit where it's best to see? Is it beautiful right there, or do we need to travel a distance to get to the dunes? I'm not sure we will be adventuresome enough to take additional transportation (i.e., bus) from where we get off the ferry. I'm really interested if we can see the beauty of the area simply by walking from the ferry, but I'm concerned how long the walk would be. 10 minutes? 30 minutes? 60 minutes? Unwalkable?

Please provide me with very specific information (if possible) as to which ferry we take, where and how we get to see the "beauty" of the Curonian Spit once we get off the ferry, and most importantly, which ferry we take to get back to Klaipeda and the cruise terminal for our ship, including ferry schedules, if possible. Detailed instructions are really appreciated!

Thanks,

Shelley

• 2 months later...

Hello, glad to see you're interested spending some time in Klaipeda. Here's what I've got:

m95Y0K0.jpg

The highlighted is the path from the cruise terminal to the new ferry terminal. Note the map, that the old ferry terminal which is on the same side as the cruise terminal is no longer in operation. So you'd have to walk (approx 10-15 minutes - it sure makes a circle) to the new pier.

Ticket price is 3 LT (less than 1 Euro) per person round trip - note, they accept local currency only.

If you choose to not go to Nida, you could just take the pathway to the beach side, that I also marked - the seaside is another 10 minute walk through the woods. Although the dunes will not be as tall and as spectacular as they would be in Nida.

Trip to Nida takes approx. 30-40 minutes one way by bus, I am just not sure of the price. But should not be more than 10-15 LTL (5-7 bucks) .

Archived