Cell phone use in Cozumel

RIGirl

I've read on other forums that both of those companies have some roaming features that allow you to make and receive cell phone calls while in Mexico. Almost all cases they mention having to "pre-arrange" this with their service provider. You should check into it. There are models available in Cozumel as cheap as $25 with about 100 pesos to 300 pesos in air time.

The last time we were in Cozumel on a cruise our cingular phone worked perfectly. We sat on the balcony and phoned home with perfect reception. There was a roaming charge but it was only a few dollars. We didn't pre-arrange anything. Happy sailing!

If you use Verizon, switch to the North America Plan-it will include Mexico and Canada as your home area so there is no roaming. You can switch back the next month.

I used to switch back and forth depending on business travel-I've kept the N. America Plan for the last year or so and it has worked out well.

Used Verizon this past May. I called them prior to goign and was told it would be from 89 cents to $1.49 per minute depending on the area and tower. It was about a buck a minute. I did have to download soemthing, which was no big deal and free, prior to leaving to upgrade my phone. But, had absolutely no problem calling home. It was much cheaper than emailing from the ship!

If you use Verizon, switch to the North America Plan-it will include Mexico and Canada as your home area so there is no roaming. You can switch back the next month.

I used to switch back and forth depending on business travel-I've kept the N. America Plan for the last year or so and it has worked out well.

Does it also work in roatan and belize?

I just called Cingular a couple hours ago about this, because my wife and I will be on Rhapsody next week and we want to be reachable for emergencies and make calls if necessary. I told the guy our plans and he set up our account with international roaming service - it was free. However we will have roaming charges either making or receiving calls. You can even call from the ship between ports, but it's most expensive.

Roaming charges:

Mexico - .99 per minute

Grand Caymen - $1.99 per minute

Royal Caribbean ship - $2.49 per minute.

Are these the only 2 providers that you know of that allow this? I have T Mobile? When I did have Cingular, the phone did not work on the ship or at port. It is possible that things have changed. That was in 2004. However, I would at least call to make sure your plan or maybe type of phone would work, first. I know how it is to want to check in and things not work out as planned!;)

Archived