handicapped cabins

JudithBee

I am going on the Navigator in June and was assigned a handicapped suite in a great location on the boat even though we are not handicapped and never requested it! I am not sure if its better since its bigger... needed some thoughts on the topic! Any would be appreciated!

JudithBee, Were you "assigned" a handicapped cabin because you had a guarantee booking? If so, you may not have much of a choice with assignment. We had a handicapped cabin on the Mariner, the Navigator might be different.

The suite may have been a little bigger than a standard cabin but there are some disadvantages. There is a lot of space that is not usable because of the large doors in the entry and in the bathroom. The handicapped bathroom is stark compared to the other suites. The shower is almost flush with the floor and water flows over the ramp and is suppose to go to a drain but I was constantly mopping up water with towels. There was less furniture in the suite to make room for a wheelchair.

Thanks so much for your input. Now I am really annoyed with my travel agent. I wanted the guaranteed "F" which is what I thought I paid for. The room was a deluxe D so I thought they already upgraded me! When I looked at my invoice I actually PAID for the deluxe D! Based upon what you said I really don't want that cabin! I really hope they will change it!

If you had a guaranteed F, then they can assign you a suite almost anywhere. When you reserve a guaranteed rate, you're agreeing to take any suite available at that level or above. But if you're being charged for a D, then either you didn't have a guaranteed F or someone made a mistake somewhere. I think you need to talk to your travel agent so find out exactly what was done when. Do you have any paperwork or email from your TA which quotes you the "F" rate?

If your TA actually booked you a guaranteed D, and they've assigned you this suite, you probably have no recourse with Regent -- the issue is whether you ever agreed to that price with your TA, and if not, whether they will make good on the difference in cost between a D and F. If your TA booked this specific suite for you, not as a guarantee, then it's possible the TA can go back to Regent to see if any other suites are available to shift you into.

Finally, if it ends up that you're "stuck" with this suite for one reason or another, I would say not to worry about it too much and not to let it cast a shadow over your anticipation of the cruise. Most of your cruise experience takes place outside your suite, and having a differently-furnighed suite will not ruin your cruise!

-- Eric

• 4 weeks later...
JudithBee, Were you "assigned" a handicapped cabin because you had a guarantee booking? If so, you may not have much of a choice with assignment. We had a handicapped cabin on the Mariner, the Navigator might be different.

The suite may have been a little bigger than a standard cabin but there are some disadvantages. There is a lot of space that is not usable because of the large doors in the entry and in the bathroom. The handicapped bathroom is stark compared to the other suites. The shower is almost flush with the floor and water flows over the ramp and is suppose to go to a drain but I was constantly mopping up water with towels. There was less furniture in the suite to make room for a wheelchair.

I just got off the Crown Princess, spent the month of January 2012 on it.

My first cabin was E717 for 2 weeks which is an ocean view non-obstructed and located aft. The last two weeks it was E303 a handicap cabin located far forward. In the bathroom the floor is level and you do have to be careful when taking a shower (very careful). The best I found was to go to the spa and use their free showers. This is good for tall people also the doors close, you do not have to deal with shower curtains.

Oh, I am not handicap and while part of me wanted the new cabin, another part of me didn't. But the handicap cabin was near the elevators; actually open the door and walk a few paces.

I just got off the Crown Princess, spent the month of January 2012 on it.

My first cabin was E717 for 2 weeks which is an ocean view non-obstructed and located aft. The last two weeks it was E303 a handicap cabin located far forward. In the bathroom the floor is level and you do have to be careful when taking a shower (very careful). The best I found was to go to the spa and use their free showers. This is good for tall people also the doors close, you do not have to deal with shower curtains.

Oh, I am not handicap and while part of me wanted the new cabin, another part of me didn't. But the handicap cabin was near the elevators; actually open the door and walk a few paces.

Not sure what this has to do with Regent.

Archived