Experience on the Breakaway

Riverrats87

We just finished our cruise yesterday on the Breakaway. There were a total of 10 with four teens. We all had inside cabins. Tight yes, but we were only there to sleep. The ship never seemed crowded. We were able to make dinner reservations for our party in the free restaurants. We were seated right away. Savor did take a long time to get your food (2 hours).. The wait staff has to ride escalators to get the food. When we complained about the wait, the supervisor made excuses and didn't acknowledge there was a problem. He stated it was because we had a party of 10. However a party of 2 had to wait forever as well. We knew there would be bugs but they will not be able to fix problems if they do not acknowledge it. This delay caused us to miss the comedy show. We enjoyed all the shows, the kids loved the teen club and the wait for the ropes course and water slides were quick. FYI if your child is injured in an activity with the club, free doctor care on the ship. In Osheehan's and the circus show lemonade was not free but it was free every where else. (Strange). My only other complaint was dance parties with kids. Lots of alcohol and the kids should have had their own parties in their club. Other then those small complaints, we had a wonderful time. Getting on and off the ship was a breeze. We were the second group to board and we disembarked quickly.

Overall, sounds like you had a nice time and things went fairly smoothly. Still bothers me to read about slow or poor service aboard the Breakaway.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. :)

Overall, sounds like you had a nice time and things went fairly smoothly. Still bothers me to read about slow or poor service aboard the Breakaway.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. :)

We had excellent service in the Manhattan. If that helps.

We just finished our cruise yesterday on the Breakaway. There were a total of 10 with four teens. We all had inside cabins. Tight yes, but we were only there to sleep. The ship never seemed crowded. We were able to make dinner reservations for our party in the free restaurants. We were seated right away. Savor did take a long time to get your food (2 hours).. The wait staff has to ride escalators to get the food. When we complained about the wait, the supervisor made excuses and didn't acknowledge there was a problem. He stated it was because we had a party of 10. However a party of 2 had to wait forever as well. We knew there would be bugs but they will not be able to fix problems if they do not acknowledge it. This delay caused us to miss the comedy show. We enjoyed all the shows, the kids loved the teen club and the wait for the ropes course and water slides were quick. FYI if your child is injured in an activity with the club, free doctor care on the ship. In Osheehan's and the circus show lemonade was not free but it was free every where else. (Strange). My only other complaint was dance parties with kids. Lots of alcohol and the kids should have had their own parties in their club. Other then those small complaints, we had a wonderful time. Getting on and off the ship was a breeze. We were the second group to board and we disembarked quickly.

Gosh, was it only yesterday we disembarked?! We were in the same position as you except we were a party of 8. The wait times were unbelievable and with 3 small children it was not pleasant at all. When I tried to make reservations in advance I was told they only take them for parties of 10 or more (not what I was told prior to the cruise). Service was also so spotty all around. I am hoping that the various issues were only because it is a new ship?

My big complaint was with the toddlers with diapers in the kids pools - rules clearly posted. No NCL crew around the pools to make sure rules were followed. Guess the parents can't read or think the rules apply to everyone else.

Did see a lot of young kids in Rock of Ages - totally inappropriate. Don't know if the parents really didn't know what the show was like (but they didn't make any effort to leave). Do think that it's NCL's responsibility to keep the kids out.

We were on the 6/2 sailing and went to the Manhattan Room twice. It was the worst service we experienced on the ship. The first night we had a long wait (an hour) and for our party of 8 they pushed 2 round tables together so it was not the easiest when it came to having a dinner conversation. Service was slow at best. So I chalked it up to it being the first night and dining at a popular time (about 7:30PM). We tried it again later in the week with a group of 6, going at 6:30 and it was about 6:45PM by the time we got seated, not too bad. The meal took so long we did not have coffee or dessert until 8:45PM and it was only after we complained. My husband and I were shut out of the 9PM magic show because dinner took so long. :eek:

We had several meals in Savor where service was hit or miss. It seemed to get better as the week wore on. Service was good at our late dinner in Taste as well as when we ate in O'Sheehan's and Moderno. I thought the best service was at Ocean Blu, where they made sure to serve our group of 8 all at the same time for every course and explained each dish. We had reservations there before the price went up so paid the lower price.

Our cabin steward balked when we asked for 2 dailies to be delivered to our cabin since we keep one as a momento. One night we did not get one at all. :(

So while I like the Breakaway, its shows and amenities, I think the service has lots of room for improvement. Perhaps it is just the crew getting used to a new ship and getting into a routine. I am sure other's experience was different but that seems in keeping with the hit and miss service I keep reading on CC about.

Please don't let this scare anyone off. The shows are great. I loved Slam Allen's show in Fat Cats and the Waterfront is awesome. Fireworks at sea are amazing. Bermuda is beautiful, as always. It was a fun cruise, even though the weather did not cooperate too much. It is pretty cool sailing from NYC, especially for those that do not live there. We had a great time but were just not impressed by the service. I hope it improves over time.

Did you have to sign the teens in and out of the teen club? Or were they free to come and go as they wish? My son will be 13 when we go and is excited to move up to the teen club!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Did you have to sign the teens in and out of the teen club? Or were they free to come and go as they wish? My son will be 13 when we go and is excited to move up to the teen club!

He will be free to come and go.

Thanks! That could be good or bad...lol..

Yeah ... once they get to Entourage (the teen club), they no longer give you the option of signing them out. I actually didn't give mine the freedom to come and go until she was 15. Prior to that, we agreed on a time, and I'd wait for her to come out. If she wanted to stay longer, we'd agree on a new time, and I'd come back. That's just me though. I know some parents give their kids free reign on the ship at 9 years old ....

Since you sailed in inside cabins, do they have the little clothesline in the showers? I can't tell from any pictures or videos I have seen. We are in a family inside and was curious, as I like to wash out the kids' bathing suits and hang them in there. Normally we sail in balcony cabins and have always had them.

Since you sailed in inside cabins, do they have the little clothesline in the showers? I can't tell from any pictures or videos I have seen. We are in a family inside and was curious, as I like to wash out the kids' bathing suits and hang them in there. Normally we sail in balcony cabins and have always had them.

There is a clothesline in the shower.

Our swimsuits didn't get completely dry overnight...

Hi. We are crusing next month with a party of 10. My two kids are 19 and 15 and my sister has 3 boys under 9. Although we have three speciality restaurants booked, we want to eat

in the MDR. Can you please let me know how you went about making the ressies for the nights you wanted to eat in the MDR? Did you do as soon as you boarded or nightly? This is important for me to know.

Did you enjoy OShennhans? We are thinking we can do this as a dinner one night with the little kids as well as my older teens since the kids can keep busy playing the games with my ds.

What time did you get to the pier?

Gosh, was it only yesterday we disembarked?! We were in the same position as you except we were a party of 8. The wait times were unbelievable and with 3 small children it was not pleasant at all. When I tried to make reservations in advance I was told they only take them for parties of 10 or more (not what I was told prior to the cruise). Service was also so spotty all around. I am hoping that the various issues were only because it is a new ship?

My big complaint was with the toddlers with diapers in the kids pools - rules clearly posted. No NCL crew around the pools to make sure rules were followed. Guess the parents can't read or think the rules apply to everyone else.

Did see a lot of young kids in Rock of Ages - totally inappropriate. Don't know if the parents really didn't know what the show was like (but they didn't make any effort to leave). Do think that it's NCL's responsibility to keep the kids out.

Hi. My kids are 19 and 15 but my sister is sailing with us with 3 boys under 10. Can you please tell me how the kids enjoyed the kids clubs? My sister only has DCL to compare it to so she is hoping they are as good as Disney (although I think RCCL is much better than DCL for their clubs). Anyway, do you have anything to share? Thanks so much!

Hi. We are crusing next month with a party of 10. My two kids are 19 and 15 and my sister has 3 boys under 9. Although we have three speciality restaurants booked, we want to eat

in the MDR. Can you please let me know how you went about making the ressies for the nights you wanted to eat in the MDR? Did you do as soon as you boarded or nightly? This is important for me to know.

Did you enjoy OShennhans? We are thinking we can do this as a dinner one night with the little kids as well as my older teens since the kids can keep busy playing the games with my ds.

What time did you get to the pier?

The MDRs run like a typical restaurant at home.... you go to the entrance when you are ready to eat and they seat you. if there happens to be a wait, you a given a beeper. Taste and Savor are right across from one another and if something opens up for you they will move you across as well....the Manhattan room is at the end of the ship....

The MDRs run like a typical restaurant at home.... you go to the entrance when you are ready to eat and they seat you. if there happens to be a wait, you a given a beeper. Taste and Savor are right across from one another and if something opens up for you they will move you across as well....the Manhattan room is at the end of the ship....

Yes but what JS is asking is about making reservations. People have posted that they were able to make MDR reservations in advance. So does anyone know if this is only on the day of? or can they be made in advance? and are reservations only available for large parties of say 8 or 10 or more?

I am curious also because we are a group of 10 on the same sailing as JS. Thanks :D

Yes but what JS is asking is about making reservations. People have posted that they were able to make MDR reservations in advance. So does anyone know if this is only on the day of? or can they be made in advance? and are reservations only available for large parties of say 8 or 10 or more?

I am curious also because we are a group of 10 on the same sailing as JS. Thanks :D

Thanks, you are 100% correct, your question and mine are identical :)

Just booked party bus for our transportation and ditched the car service that wanted to pick me up between 11 am - 12:00 pm. Now getting picked up at 9:30 am. Mimosas at 9:45 am :)

Just booked party bus for our transportation and ditched the car service that wanted to pick me up between 11 am - 12:00 pm. Now getting picked up at 9:30 am. Mimosas at 9:45 am :)

That long? You're gonna wait 15 minutes to start drinking? lol :D

:D glad you got your car service figured out. I like to be on the ship as early as possible. And would much rather sit at the port waiting to board than sit around my house waiting for my ride. ;)

:D glad you got your car service figured out. I like to be on the ship as early as possible. And would much rather sit at the port waiting to board than sit around my house waiting for my ride. ;)

I agree, and while we aren't taking a car service this time (we are taking the train) I will be making sure we get into Grand Central by 1030am. At least if you're waiting at the port you can at least see the ship. :p

we didn't have to wait long to be seated or get our food but the servers in the MDR were awful to decent (except the last night in Savor when we had an excellent server and I made sure to tell the manger and put her name down on the paper card and online survey)...the first two nights (Savor and Taste) the waiters never introduced themselves, we were never offered any types of drinks (wine, cocktails, tea, soda) and weren't told the specials...basically they filled the water glasses, dropped off the bread, then came back and said what do you want to order, delivered the food, and didn't come back until dropping off the desert menu...I have better service at Denny's...the second night we made our concerns known to the asst. matri'd when she came by (we didn't seek her out) who tried to correct the situation but getting us a new waitress (who was very attentive, but that could have been because of the situation) and offered us a bottle of wine the next night when we told her we would be in the Manhattan Room (which we took even though we really weren't trying to get anything free, we just wanted to let her know what we were feeling since she asked)...service in the MR was slightly better to start and greatly improved after handing the waiter the card with the lady's name on it so we could get our wine so there is a possibility it was only because of that...the service at Wasabi and Teppanki were awesome

Hi, I am js's Mom and am trying to find out the answer to the question that she (js) and green eyed lady asked.

That is, as a party of 10 can we make reservations in the MDR?

If so, how do we go about doing that? Can this be done on the day we embark? Can we make reservations when we get on the ship for the entire week? Or do we make them daily?

Thank you for any info, this is important to us as we are traveling with 3 little boys who may not be into waiting around for a table for half an hour or so.

Karen :)

Lemonade is free in main dining rooms?? Does anyone know if the dress code is relaxed in the Manhattan Room on the first night?

The dress code for Manhattan Room is no shorts for men. There did not appear to be a requirement for collared shirts. Plenty of men got in with T-shirts.

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on the Breakaway Sept. 22 in a B6. My mom is 87 and she would like to have room service breakfast. She always has eggs. I've read on cc that all they serve is " continental style". Pastries and bagels. Anyone have info on this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived