Snow at Denali Yesterday!

AkSusan

Well, heard on the news this morning, that Eielson Visitor's Center at Denali got 4 inches of snow yesterday and it was snowing again.

Guess the late season visitors to Denali, got a heck of a surprise.

We have termination dust - first snow on the tops of the Chugach Mountains that surround Anchorage too.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Wow!

I am sure it's beautiful.

Keith

Actually from the pics I have seen it looked like very wet and sloppy snow. I doubt it was beautiful at all! Then to think about all tent campers in campgrounds and the bcakcountry. I am sure it wasnt beautiful for them nor for those with early morning shuttle bus reservations whose buses didnt get past Toklat!

And heck, I just got back from shopping and actually the mountains cleared and that dang termination dust is 1/4 to 1/2 down some of the peaks:eek: I am not ready for snow, please not yet:eek::eek:

Actually from the pics I have seen it looked like very wet and sloppy snow. I doubt it was beautiful at all! Then to think about all tent campers in campgrounds and the bcakcountry. I am sure it wasnt beautiful for them nor for those with early morning shuttle bus reservations whose buses didnt get past Toklat!

All true, but from a distance, I'm sure it was pretty......

And heck, I just got back from shopping and actually the mountains cleared and that dang termination dust is 1/4 to 1/2 down some of the peaks:eek: I am not ready for snow, please not yet:eek::eek:

I noticed that too. Did you see the tundra up there? It is clearly going on winter up there......

Nice to see some posts from Anchorage -- that was quite the wind storm several days ago.

According to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner the road was closed at Toklat but opened to Eielson Visitor's Center after about four hours. We are driving down to the park tomorrow for lunch so it will be interesting to see the mountains around Healy.

Nice to see some posts from Anchorage -- that was quite the wind storm several days ago.

Yeah, a lot of people still without power. I saw a bunch of big trees that war broken or uprooted and a huge flagpole downtown that was installed in 1961, broke and fell.

Basically it was a hurricane that went unnoticed by anyone by the people of Anchorage and environs.....That's because we're tough....

Yeah, a lot of people still without power. I saw a bunch of big trees that war broken or uprooted and a huge flagpole downtown that was installed in 1961, broke and fell.

Basically it was a hurricane that went unnoticed by anyone by the people of Anchorage and environs.....That's because we're tough....

The Fairbanks Daily-Newsminer has devoted quite a bit of coverage to the Anchorage storm, and I also have been checking the Anchorage Daily News and Alaska Dispatch websites. The Alaska Dispatch articles often use such great language -- one of the Dispatch articles commented something to the effect about the dazed residents of Southcentral and the stunned squirrels dealing with the aftermath of the storm. While I realize that when it started many of the squirrels retreated to their middens, the image of a squirrel hanging on for dear life in the crown of a tree was just burned in my mind for the rest of the day.

The latest NOAA forecast for Fairbanks tonight calls for snow showers down to 2500 feet. The season is definitely changing.

The Fairbanks Daily-Newsminer has devoted quite a bit of coverage to the Anchorage storm, and I also have been checking the Anchorage Daily News and Alaska Dispatch websites. The Alaska Dispatch articles often use such great language -- one of the Dispatch articles commented something to the effect about the dazed residents of Southcentral and the stunned squirrels dealing with the aftermath of the storm. While I realize that when it started many of the squirrels retreated to their middens, the image of a squirrel hanging on for dear life in the crown of a tree was just burned in my mind for the rest of the day.

The latest NOAA forecast for Fairbanks tonight calls for snow showers down to 2500 feet. The season is definitely changing.

Thanks for your information.

We love watching our squirrels -- they try to haul ears of corn across snowy, slippery fences to take home.

We had driven down to Denali for lunch on Saturday. It has become a tradition to drive down on a fall day since the colors are so beautiful. When we left Fairbanks it was a crisp morning but very sunny. As we approached Healy we could see the dark clouds becoming even darker. At the canyon it was misting and very windy, and it was clear that the peaks very having some snow storms. According to our local newspaper, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, the road was re-opened to mile 92 by 3 PM. Weather at Denali is always a crapshoot, but the NOAA weather forecast is calling for chinook winds this weekend.

We were in Denali from Friday evening until the noon train yesterday. We went on the TWT on Saturday. We started the tour at 28 degrees. There was heavy frost on everything. This is our pic from Sony Hill. You can see the mountian was hidden for the most part. But, there was already snow beside the road.

10-1.jpg

This is my shot of McKinley from the trsin. We could see it all the way to Anchorage. WOW! Can you see the blowing snow?

We were so lucky.

IMG_5856.jpg

I did a "Live from the Radiance of the Sea" posting and then added the land excursions, too.

Go to page # 6 to see the Denali posting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35131941&posted=1#post35131941

DH and I are loving AK--but, we leave tomorrow.:(

Archived