Staying in a suite solo - awkward?

CarleenD

Hi everyone!

I've booked an aft penthouse suite on the Jade for 11/21, and I'm traveling solo. I'm just wondering what that experience may be like? The only other solo cruise I've done was on the Epic in a studio, and that was awesome. But it was tailored to singles. I wouldn't imagine very many singles take the PH. What does attract me is the ensuite dining though - that makes sense for a single, so I don't have to be a sore thumb in the dining rooms.

Will I enjoy myself, or feel out of place because I'm alone? There seems like so much to take in!

Carleen

Not sure why you'd feel out of place? The choice to go alone is yours, and the choice of the suite is yours. Make the most of it, and enjoy all the amenities the suites have to offer.

As for being a sore thumb at meals in the restaurants and dining rooms - well, you'll probably end up making friends on board, and then you can dine with them every once and a while.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just my two cents....I think being in a suite will be wonderful no matter if you are solo or with people you want to be with! The only unhappy suite experience would be if you had to share the space with a person or people who you didn't want to be with! Take full advantage of the perks as they really make the cruise an incredible experience. I was in a suite last summer on the Dawn and the perks really made the cruise for me.

Have an absolutely great cruise!!:)

I think it's a great idea. I think with access to the courtyard, which I'm assuming you have with a penthouse, I think the courtyard would be ideal for a single person. Its easy to get to know the people up there seeing the same group of people all week. You don't need to even put much effort into it. Access to Cagneys for breakfast would be nice as a single I would think.

Thanks yes, the choice is mine. But I wondered what it'd be like to be alone where everything is tailored for 2 or more people. I know the question was vague though. :-)

The service isn't necessarily tailored for 2 in the suites. You will be surprised just how attentive your service personnel will be in tending your every desire.

John

I think it's a great idea. I think with access to the courtyard, which I'm assuming you have with a penthouse, I think the courtyard would be ideal for a single person. Its easy to get to know the people up there seeing the same group of people all week. You don't need to even put much effort into it. Access to Cagneys for breakfast would be nice as a single I would think.

Access to the courtyard is for Haven Suite residents and Owners Suite passengers only.

John

Here's a review from a gal who sailed solo to Bermuda a few weeks ago. She was not in suite, but does recount her experience positively.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666352

Also, have you joined your roll call? Dh and I have met many a single there and have gone on excursions, dined, met up for drinks, etc together. Just spread the word that you're looking for someone to hang with occasionally (if you are) and I'm sure there will be many that will be delighted to fold you into their groups.

We met a young woman from South Africa whose husband's plans changed at the last minute and he couldn't go. Rather than lose both fares completely, she went alone. She let the roll call know from the beginning and was never at a loss for company whenever she wanted it.

You will be fine. Join your roll call.

My last cruise on the Gem, DH and I were in an OS. We met a solo traveler staying in the OS above us. We spoke on the roll call and met at the M&G. We then had breakfast with her several times in Cagneys. She partied with us and our travel companions all week and had a ball. I envied her in that big cabin by herself!

You will have a great time. At Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, you will see the same faces and it will be easy to make friends.

Have a great cruise!

Here's a review from a gal who sailed solo to Bermuda a few weeks ago. She was not in suite, but does recount her experience positively.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666352

Also, have you joined your roll call? Dh and I have met many a single there and have gone on excursions, dined, met up for drinks, etc together. Just spread the word that you're looking for someone to hang with occasionally (if you are) and I'm sure there will be many that will be delighted to fold you into their groups.

We met a young woman from South Africa whose husband's plans changed at the last minute and he couldn't go. Rather than lose both fares completely, she went alone. She let the roll call know from the beginning and was never at a loss for company whenever she wanted it.

You beat me to referring the OP to the thread you cited. It gives such a great account of cruising solo and how wonderful it can be! Plus...it's a great read!:)

I sailed solo in an aft penthouse on the Dawn last summer, although I did have friends who were also on the same cruise. Priority embarkation and disembarkation made travelling alone to/from the ship more comfortable. I had breakfast and lunch at Cagney's solo once or twice and didn't feel like I stuck out at all. The waitstaff stopped by to chat quite often and I had a crossword to fill the time. I was at the main pool alone on a couple of occasions and the martini tasting too. There was always someone to talk to and start to get to know. I tend to be a shy person so it is a conscious effort for me to strike up a conversation with a stranger. I would absolutely take a cruise by myself in a suite. Even when travelling with others, not everyone wants to do the same thing at the same time, so I found there were plenty of "singles" out and about around the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks everyone! I guess another thing on my mind is the service from the butler et al. I feel like I'd be annoyed if I was constantly called to a room to serve just one person (I'm kinda high maintenance :-)). I would think the staff would be used to receiving higher tips, and not want to be bothered with the "single lady".

The solo on the epic was excellent for me as well. Especially the Studio Lounge which will not be available. I have found on many solo cruises that solos tend to sunbathe on the Freestyle deck. So you might try that. Also I am not sure what lounge is in the atrium area but on the Epic the Champagne Bar was an excellent place to meet solo cruisers. But like everybody says, join your roll call and you will be much better informed. I soloed on a balcony on the Spirit in March and met a ton of great people from the Cruise Critic Roll call.

Be brave, be bold be solo-mio.:D

Kev:cool:

I have travelled solo, or with a roomate only, a few times and I loved it every time. If I had had a suite, it would have been nothing less than heaven!!! I am a little jealous actually :) I'll be in a penthouse too that same week (Gem) but with my parents in the same room so it will be more crowded but I am happy to give them that special gift (we had booked a balcony and I paid the difference for the penthouse).

You'll have a blast I am sure. In regards to going for dinner by yourself, you can go to any restaurant of course but if you don't like being at a table for yourself, I have a few options for you:

- Sushi bar, there you can watch the sushi chef and I am sure he will chat a little

- Teppenyaki, since you are all around the chef cooking the food, people are not looking for a romatic dinner, usually people will talk to other people around them.

- I am sure you will find some cruise friends if you go to your roll call and to the meet and greet. If you enjoy some people presence, do not hesitate to ask if they'd like to share dinner sometimes. Usually, I would say something like '' I am going to Le Bistro on Thursday night, if you would like to join me, let me know''. This way, they are invited but they don't feel any pressure because you are not asking for a ''yes'' or a ''no''. If they have already something that night but still want to have dinner with you, it will then be easier for them to suggest another day and place.

But if you want to try another restaurant, please go even if you are by yourself, you are there to do whatever you'd like. Sometimes, I would bring a book or a notebook to prepare my next cruise critic review :) but bring a little lamp because it can be on the dark side for dinner.

But I am sure in-suite dinning will also be a nice experience, especially after a full day in port, when you are tired and just feel like watching a movie in your pj :)

Enjoy yourself and IF you don't like the experience, next time invite me :)

Thanks everyone! I guess another thing on my mind is the service from the butler et al. I feel like I'd be annoyed if I was constantly called to a room to serve just one person (I'm kinda high maintenance :-)). I would think the staff would be used to receiving higher tips, and not want to be bothered with the "single lady".

IMHO, butler and concierge tips should be based on the amount of service rendered, not for the number of people in the room. Sometimes 2 people will ask for less than a single person. Only you can know how much work you were and how much it was worth.

When sailing solo, I would always give extra tip to the room steward because making the room for 1 or 2 is about the same work but I wouldn't give more to a restaurant waiter... but that's just the way I do things, I don't know about others.

Thanks yes, the choice is mine. But I wondered what it'd be like to be alone where everything is tailored for 2 or more people. I know the question was vague though. :-)

A few years ago I did an owner's suite on the Dawn. I traveled solo. I thought I died and went to heaven! You should have no problem in your suite as a solo traveler. It is nice to have the extra space :)

I hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

~La Princesa

Carleen I always travel solo in suites, I was in owners suite once and a few times in the 2bdrm because I love the bathroom. I used to joke my luggage had it's own room. I also have traveled in aft and haven solo. Everyone was great to me some people thought I was brave for going solo, to me I just love having a butler bring me dinner or late nite snacks so I could get ready for the nite. Don't worry actually your steward will love that he only has one person to clean up lol. Join your roll call, cruises are the best way to go when you travel solo. Cagneys always treated me great and usually someone would see me coming in and ask me to sit with them, not that I minded eationg solo. Enjoy hun, Maria Oh and it seemed the concierge went out of his way for me becasue I was solo

Carleen, I just solved your problem. I'm good looking, very fit and have a great personality. We'll share your suite together. Nah I'm just kidding but seriously just enjoy your cruise. Once my wife and I once brought our single friends with us on the cruise. Our Friend had her own cabin. The first night or 2 she joined us for dinner. Following that we never saw her again. She met many new friends and she didn't hang with us. Most likely that will happen to you. Our second friend that joined us had his cabin and he hooked up with new friends also. It seems that your very outgoing and again just enjoy your cruise.

I think you will have a great time. The aft PH suites are not so large that you will feel like you have too much space. Your balcony will be nice and you will enjoy the suite perks so much. Have fun and make sure to post a review when you return!

Archived