55plus

declans granny

• 1 month later...

If you tell us your cruise, we can give you a link to the roll call for your cruise. It is a great way to 'meet' fellow guests in advance. Many make friends and plans before they even board and that could work out well for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Declans Granny, I wish you were coming on our cruise! I'm not in the "over 55" range, but we are bringing my mom who is. We're going 3/31/13 on a cruise out of Puerto Rico. I reeeeally wish there was a way I could find other folks around her age that were going on that cruise (I started a regular 'roll call' with only one other person onboard right now). She is probably older than you are, but she acts and looks much younger. She's 75. She walks a lot, but doesn't take it too well when she must stand still for a long time. (Heck, even I don't do well with that with my scoliosis.) But if she could find just one person who is just a tad limited like she is, that would be great. She wants to take riding excursions at some of our ports. The walking tours are a little too much for her. Any suggestions from anyone? I want her to enjoy this as much as we will. She went last year and actually did a tour by herself with some tour van (with other Carnival passengers) in Old San Juan.

• 3 weeks later...

I just seen this 55plus, which I am.

What got my attenion........."Declans granny." The reason I say this, I am Declan's grandma, and I have never heard anyone else, other than my grandson called Declan. As far as I know Declan is an Irish name. My son and d-i-l (I think she named them all) named all their sons (7 of them) Irish names.:)

I hope you had a great cruise.

Ask for traditional dining and request a large table...that way, you get to meet folks at dinner...that's the best way, I've found, to find friends...we got to know our tablemates, and went to shows, and bars, etc....much fun!

And, don't worry about age too much...everyone is there for a good time! Fun knows no age bounderies!!!!

I just seen this 55plus, which I am.

What got my attenion........."Declans granny." The reason I say this, I am Declan's grandma, and I have never heard anyone else, other than my grandson called Declan. As far as I know Declan is an Irish name. My son and d-i-l (I think she named them all) named all their sons (7 of them) Irish names.:)

I hope you had a great cruise.

I think so I have read it in one of Maeve Binchy's more recent novels-perhaps your kids are Maeve Binchy fans.

How do you pronounce it? Is Deck-clan Deck-lan?

• 2 weeks later...

cb at wea, I agree, don't worry about the age of people on cruises. I have found myself having fun with the very young, as well as people my age, which is over 50.

momofmeg, my grandsons name is spelled Declan, without the K. He was born Spina Biffia, and turned 3 in October. He still doesn't walk, or talk, but we know he is in God's hands, and we'll take it from there. He is such a loving boy, and so SMART. He does crawl, and is able to pull himself up and sit. He goes to school every day and LIKES computers, like the rest of the kids.

cb at wea, I agree, don't worry about the age of people on cruises. I have found myself having fun with the very young, as well as people my age, which is over 50.

momofmeg, my grandsons name is spelled Declan, without the K. He was born Spina Biffia, and turned 3 in October. He still doesn't walk, or talk, but we know he is in God's hands, and we'll take it from there. He is such a loving boy, and so SMART. He does crawl, and is able to pull himself up and sit. He goes to school every day and LIKES computers, like the rest of the kids.

My heart goes out to Declan. Twenty eight years ago this July I lost a baby girl to Spina Biffia. Your little Declan is a precious gift.

Hello everyone I am a widow and am 66 soon 67 age group. My Dad who will be 98 in a couple weeks is going with me on an Eastern Caribbean trip the 30th of June for 8 days. He has trouble with walking fast and uses a cane but is as active as he feels he can be. This will be his very first cruise. I am very excited for him and look forward to this time together. I myself have gone on a few cruises and have one big one scheduled for this Christmas to Antarctica, which I have been wanting to do for a long time. I decided to bite the bullet and do it or I may not do it at all. I love traveling but do most of it solo as I can't seem to find others interested or able to get away. I have met a great deal of wonderful folks all ages on my travels. I not only cruise I also go on bus group tours and some car travels by myself. I keep looking for other women who may be interested in these type of travels but so far it has not worked out trying a couple of roommates that we just did not click for some reason. I still love to travel and have a lot more to come as this is what I want to use my retirement funds for as long as I am able.

Lets try to keep this board going as it has given me some good ideas as well as the boards for the roll calls. See you on a cruise someday.

Hello everyone I am a widow and am 66 soon 67 age group. My Dad who will be 98 in a couple weeks is going with me on an Eastern Caribbean trip the 30th of June for 8 days. He has trouble with walking fast and uses a cane but is as active as he feels he can be. This will be his very first cruise. I am very excited for him and look forward to this time together. I myself have gone on a few cruises and have one big one scheduled for this Christmas to Antarctica, which I have been wanting to do for a long time. I decided to bite the bullet and do it or I may not do it at all. I love traveling but do most of it solo as I can't seem to find others interested or able to get away. I have met a great deal of wonderful folks all ages on my travels. I not only cruise I also go on bus group tours and some car travels by myself. I keep looking for other women who may be interested in these type of travels but so far it has not worked out trying a couple of roommates that we just did not click for some reason. I still love to travel and have a lot more to come as this is what I want to use my retirement funds for as long as I am able.

Lets try to keep this board going as it has given me some good ideas as well as the boards for the roll calls. See you on a cruise someday.

I have several "cc friends" I post to that cruise solo and prefer it that way. One shared a stateroom with someone she met here and she just was not as happy as having her room to herself. She said she would rather pay an extra premium than to share.

My hubby's aunt will go on bus tours too that are sponsored for senior citizens in her county.

Hubby and I took a land tour of France a few years ago (2009) and the tour company would arrange roommates for single travelers. We had several ladies 55 plus traveling on their own; widows, divorcees, and one was married, but her hubby did not like to travel. Perhaps you can check into land tour companies and ask if they do that.

I am not sure if HAL still does this, but we met a lady on HAL Statendam Alaska in 2001 who had a roommate that HAL arranged for her.

NCL on their largest ship the Epic, actually has rooms made for one person, they are a bit pricey but not as pricey as paying double in the other staterooms, and they also have a large common area/sitting area that is shared by all those in those type staterooms.

Thank you momofmeg for the information. I am not sure of HAL room match either. I know they were the ones I first used for my beginners cruise but that was a lot of years back so I have not inquired since then. I am sort of like your friend in that I do like to have my own space so I will probably just start using those lines that have the smaller rooms like the EPIC to save just a little anyhow.

I would be interested to hear about your transatlantic trip as I have considered doing one but not sure about all the sea days and how many activities there are to do. Of course I can always find a nook and read but I do like to be some busy. I usually do some walking but have not used any of the gym areas so far but I supposed they are quite busy on a lot of sea days.

The bus companies I have used so far have been Trafalga which I think they do roommate matching but not sure. I also have gone with Christian Tours who are located not too far away and they will try to do roommate matching. How did your husband's aunt find out about the ones she has gone on? I don't know of or have not heard of those in Asheville area where I live.

Where in Georgia do you live? I have a brother and his wife that live in Canton, GA area.

Again thank you for replying.

Thank you momofmeg for the information. I am not sure of HAL room match either. I know they were the ones I first used for my beginners cruise but that was a lot of years back so I have not inquired since then. I am sort of like your friend in that I do like to have my own space so I will probably just start using those lines that have the smaller rooms like the EPIC to save just a little anyhow.

I would be interested to hear about your transatlantic trip as I have considered doing one but not sure about all the sea days and how many activities there are to do. Of course I can always find a nook and read but I do like to be some busy. I usually do some walking but have not used any of the gym areas so far but I supposed they are quite busy on a lot of sea days.

The bus companies I have used so far have been Trafalga which I think they do roommate matching but not sure. I also have gone with Christian Tours who are located not too far away and they will try to do roommate matching. How did your husband's aunt find out about the ones she has gone on? I don't know of or have not heard of those in Asheville area where I live.

Where in Georgia do you live? I have a brother and his wife that live in Canton, GA area.

Again thank you for replying.

I live near Atlanta. We canceled our transatlantic and are going on a Med instead. Hubby's vacation time and seeing all we wanted to see was why. It just made more sense than booking a transatlantic which had 7 days out in the middle of the ocean.

Let me know how that trip goes as I see it is upcoming. I understand that need to see as much as you can on a trip. I guess I will just still be interested in a transatlantic for the future and keep reading these boards to see who has done one and their thoughts.

I really need to be getting my thoughts together for my Dad's and my trip at the end of the month but for some reason have the early summer lazies. I will get going maybe next week when I really realize how close it is.

Have a great time on your upcoming trip.

momofmeg, I'm truly sorry to read of your loss of your daughter. I believe I told you I had some friends that had a Spina Biffia daughter too, and she passed away (I believe) at the age of 26 or so. I know there are so many more things they can do for Spina Biffia babies/children, so with God's help, were HOLDING ON!

Elaine, you said you were 66, well I'm 69 and still working for a large corporate company, and I love my job. Most people wonder why I'm not retired, but that is the reason. I love to cruise, and try to every year, but I wound up in the hospital instead, but that is OK. I'm headed for Arizona this afternoon for a few days.:) I did want to mention, we may not be able to do everything like we "used to,", but we STILL can do it, only slower.:)

beshears so glad you have a job that you like and more power to you that you can continue to work. I sort of wish I had of gotten at least a part time job when I moved up here but I did not and think now my skills have gone so much it would be hard for me to go back now.

Yes slower is the mode now but I am trying to keep as active physically as I can with walking every day at least and doing some other stretching exercises as I know if I don't do something like they say you get into not doing anything and "freeze up" so to speak and I certainly don't want that. My Dad at 98 is a great inspiration to me as he is still good in the mind and is living by himself and still driving, so I have a lot to try to keep up with.

See you all very soon on our cruise and really looking forward to our meet and greet. I just hope my Dad want be too tired after our trip to get to the ship so he will come also.

• 2 weeks later...

bird2sea, it was good to read your reply.

Yes, as I've said, I am very thankful that I am STILL working at the age of 69. Yes, keeping up work skills is a must. I know if I no longer worked, I would lose these skills easily. Most people think I am younger, and it is HARD to look/stay that way, unless you do some type of physical exercise. Like you said walking as well as other exercises, which I try to do at least 3 times a week where I live. In fact, everyone reading this will think I am CRAZY:rolleyes:, but I went walking after work yesterday, and it was 103 degrees. I just don't mind the heat.:)

I'm sorry, but I haven't read from the "beginning" everyone's replies, so I am sort of behind, but you said your dad was 98 with a good mind, that is wonderful. My father lived to be 91, and hopefully with God's help, and a fairly sound mine, I hope to do the same.

You said you live "up here,", where is that? I live in the "heart of the US," or that is what we call it, here in Kansas City, MO.

Have you left on your cruise yet, and if so, when you get back, I would like to know how the cruise went for you and your dad, or anyone else that went?

Brenda

Brenda good to hear from you also. We leave tomorrow for the cruise but am trying to be sure to have camera and charger with me for all the good memories we will be making.

Boy you are brave to be out in that heat, hope you are drinking plenty of fluids so not to get dehydrated which is a real problem. I like the heat more than cold but when over 100 I want to be somewhere shady and breezy for sure. Of course my Dec trip I am going to Antarctica I will have to have all sort of layers. I am really looking forward to it as have wanted to do for so long.

Will report back after cruise.

I live in Asheville, NC area and moved up here from Tallahassee FL area (Coast).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elaine, good to hear from you.

I have a feeling that you are either still on your cruise, or just got back. If you do a review, and it is in another area, please let me know where it is, so I can look it up and read it. I always like reading other peoples "adventures.":)

Yes, I am still walking in the HIGH heat, but I always take a cup along with ICE, so I can let it melt in my mouth.:)

So you moved from Florida, I'm curious why? It wouldn't be the heat would it? I really like parts of Florida, but I would miss my SNOW, yes, I did say that. I don't want a lot, but just a nice covering.:)

I just got back from Arizona a few weeks ago, and it is "bone dry" there. So sad. It was good to see GREEN trees and "some" green grass when I got home.

By the way, I don't know if you can get Borden cheese or products in your area, but I work for the corporate office of Bordens. I don't know if you remember "Elsie the cow" slogan or picture? They have been in busy 150 years.

Brenda

Brenda

Brenda yes just got back Sunday from our cruise. Dad had a very good time. My review is under the member reviews Entry ID 105705. I have not been on computer much as I got sick at the end of the trip and it turned out to be bronchitis and conjunctivitis so the doctor wanted me not to use computer and to just rest for this week. It has been hard to stay away from computer as this is important to my single life.

The review is not much but at least I did one. Got to go close my eyes again for a bit. More later.

bird2sea, it was good to read your reply.

Yes, as I've said, I am very thankful that I am STILL working at the age of 69. Yes, keeping up work skills is a must. I know if I no longer worked, I would lose these skills easily. Most people think I am younger, and it is HARD to look/stay that way, unless you do some type of physical exercise. Like you said walking as well as other exercises, which I try to do at least 3 times a week where I live. In fact, everyone reading this will think I am CRAZY:rolleyes:, but I went walking after work yesterday, and it was 103 degrees. I just don't mind the heat.:)

I'm sorry, but I haven't read from the "beginning" everyone's replies, so I am sort of behind, but you said your dad was 98 with a good mind, that is wonderful. My father lived to be 91, and hopefully with God's help, and a fairly sound mine, I hope to do the same.

You said you live "up here,", where is that? I live in the "heart of the US," or that is what we call it, here in Kansas City, MO.

Have you left on your cruise yet, and if so, when you get back, I would like to know how the cruise went for you and your dad, or anyone else that went?

Brenda

I was just sitting here reading this thread cause I recently hit 55, but then noticed you are from Gladstone MO. Used to live there, now live in Lawrence KS. I didn't realize Borden was based here. I work for that major greeting card co-if you care to send the best & life is a special occasion. It was just nice to read a post from a local.

I wish this 55+ area would be a bit more active. I enjoy chatting w/ fellow cruisers, hearing their adventures. Happy sailing all -- Annette fr Lawrence KS.

Archived