How Do You Pronounce "Cay"?

Roz

"You say tomato, I say tomoto, let's call the whole thing off...."

Is "Cay", as in HMC, pronounced "key" or "kay"?

Is a cay the same thing as a quay?

Aren't these thought provoking questions for a Sunday afternoon?

Roz

Cay (ke {long e}) it is a low island made mostly of coral or sand.

a quay, same pronounciation, is a wharf or a paved embankment for loading/unloading ships

the second acceptable pronounciation of both is ka (long a)

Thanks to both of you. So Ruby, you're saying there are 2 possible pronunciations? Now I'm totally confused! But I'll never make the mistake of saying boat instead of ship.

Roz

I pronounce it "key", as in door key.

I pronounce gaol "jail" as in slammer.

I pronounce the first r in library, but most say liberry.

I also use the first r in February.

Otherwise, I speak with a fairly normal Western US accent.

Michael

30 years ago I visited Great Harbor Cay in the Bahamas and Cay was pronounced with a long A...I still say it with the long A although I have heard Key. Another pronounciation issue...Antiga or Antigua. On the island and on Jimmy Buffet songs it is Anteega.

After reading about Half Moon Cay for several months I found that it is supposed to be pronounced Key! Well, I am a slow learner so I now call it Half Moon Cay-Key. Maybe by December I will get it right!

And I pronounce both R's in February and library and nuclear not nucular and realtor not realitor. But once I get something wrong it's difficult to un-learn it!

Apparently both are technically acceptable but on lovely Half Moon Cay it is most definitely pronounced "key".

I also pronounce "quay" as "key" though there are myriad different ways to pronounce that. The correct alternate pronounciation is, yes, "cay", like the way you would expect the island to be pronounced Lots of Americans say "kway" but that is not correct. I stick with the most common British version, "key" (how often do you have Americans using the word quay anyway?). In French it is spelled quai and pronounced roughly as "keh", like the first part of "KEttle".

As for whether "cay" and "quay" are the same, no, they're totally different. A cay is a small, low island. A quay is a place where one ties up a ship - it is a synonym for wharf; that is a dock which is parallel to the shoreline (whereas a pier is perpendicular to, or at least protrudes from the shore). Confusingly I have read that "quay" can also be spelled "key", just to muddy things further. At least there can't be any controversy over pronounciation when it's spelled that way :) .

After reading about Half Moon Cay for several months I found that it is supposed to be pronounced Key! Well, I am a slow learner so I now call it Half Moon Cay-Key. Maybe by December I will get it right!

And I pronounce both R's in February and library and nuclear not nucular and realtor not realitor. But once I get something wrong it's difficult to un-learn it!

KSCnCa,

My favorite mispronounced word PREROGATIVE. Everyone seems to pronounce it PURROGATIVE. But, I guess that is their prerogative !:D

KSCnCa,

My favorite mispronounced word PREROGATIVE. Everyone seems to pronounce it PURROGATIVE. But, I guess that is their prerogative !:D

Very good! I must admit I am guilty of that mistake! Never again.

Thanks for the lesson of the day! And I thought I was done! I told my boss to stick a fork in me tonight as I left! (Another favorite of mine that I abuse often - people are not done, unless you're talking Silence of the Lambs!) :p

Cay can be pronounced either like KEY or KAY..either way is correct. It's from the spanish word "cayo"

Main Entry: cay

Pronunciation: 'kE, 'kA

Function: noun

Etymology: Spanish cayo —more at KEY

Date: 1707

: a low island or reef of sand or coral

Archived