Leaving the Ship in the Event of a Family Emergency?

Smokeyham

I just read the following Carnival review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=113423

where a passenger on a Los Angeles/Catalina/Ensenada trip had to leave the ship early (at Catalina) due to a family emergency. She was required to pay a $300 fine for getting off at an American port.

Is this the norm? I thinking that this type of event must happen with some regularity, especially on the Alaskan cruises.

Is this something which would be covered by Trip Insurance?

I also wonder what happens if you just leave the ship?

I just read the following Carnival review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=113423

where a passenger on a Los Angeles/Catalina/Ensenada trip had to leave the ship early (at Catalina) due to a family emergency. She was required to pay a $300 fine for getting off at an American port.

Is this the norm? I thinking that this type of event must happen with some regularity, especially on the Alaskan cruises.

Is this something which would be covered by Trip Insurance?

I also wonder what happens if you just leave the ship?

This is the fine for violating the PSVA/Jones Act or whatever it is that prohibits transporting US citizens between US cities. I would think that if it were a bona fide emergency that one would be able to apply to have the fine waived. If one were to just leave the ship the cruise line would probably add the amount to the sail and sign. I don't know if insurance would cover it.

This is the fine for violating the PSVA/Jones Act or whatever it is that prohibits transporting US citizens between US cities. I would think that if it were a bona fide emergency that one would be able to apply to have the fine waived. If one were to just leave the ship the cruise line would probably add the amount to the sail and sign. I don't know if insurance would cover it.

Good point about them adding the fine to the Sail and Sign if you just decided to walk off!

You would think that there would be a way to submit a request for the waiver of the fine, with appropriate documentation from a medical facility, etc.

Good point about them adding the fine to the Sail and Sign if you just decided to walk off!

You would think that there would be a way to submit a request for the waiver of the fine, with appropriate documentation from a medical facility, etc.

The fine is imposted by government agency so I am sure that there is a form that must be filed in triplicate with copies of the appropriate documentation. Not quite sure which agency has jurisdiction but I am sure that the cruise line would be willing to point one in the right direction.

The Jones Act applies to cargo ships, the PVSA applies to passenger ships.

You would need to look at the cruise ticket contract to see what, if any, language is included concerning early departure, or government fines. If there is no specific mention there, you could fight it with the cruise line, but your legal fees would exceed the amount of the fine, which is why the lines pass it on to you, knowing it isn't worth fighting over.

You could contact CBP to see if a waiver is available, and you would then have to trace things down as to whether the cruise line or the government has your money, for a refund.

The Jones Act applies to cargo ships, the PVSA applies to passenger ships.

You would need to look at the cruise ticket contract to see what, if any, language is included concerning early departure, or government fines. If there is no specific mention there, you could fight it with the cruise line, but your legal fees would exceed the amount of the fine, which is why the lines pass it on to you, knowing it isn't worth fighting over.

You could contact CBP to see if a waiver is available, and you would then have to trace things down as to whether the cruise line or the government has your money, for a refund.

I would hope that if the cruise line is collecting a fine on behalf of the government that they are passing it on to the government:eek: (but of course when they pass it on may be the question, they may only remit fines quarterly).

I would hope that if the cruise line is collecting a fine on behalf of the government that they are passing it on to the government:eek: (but of course when they pass it on may be the question, they may only remit fines quarterly).

That's essentially what I meant. Depending on when you file a complaint, the line may not have remitted the fine to CBP, though we all know how efficient the govt is in collecting money!

Archived