Accademia Museum, Florence

We will be on the May 15 sailing of the Millenium. I have been looking at the excursions. If we should the "Florence on your own" can we go to the Accademia museum? I sit right there in town? Only one of the tours offers this as a stop, but we would like to explore on our own also. Thanks.

To make reservations for entry to the Accademia (and Uffizi, too) in Florence, call 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. (their time). An English-speaking reservationist will give you a date and time and confirmation number for your museum visit. You don't pay until you get to the museum. There is a nominal service charge (3E this summer) for the reservation in addition to the standard admission price (6,50E this summer), but by reserving directly with the museum's official reservation service, the price (including brief phone call) is less than the service charge imposed by commercial ticket sellers.

Whether you reserve through a ticket agency or directly, when you arrive, go directly to the advance reservations line. You will feel like such a savvy traveler when you compare the length of that line to the walk-up line! Some date in September, 2004 is the 500th anniversary of "David," and he's just been cleaned up for his big b'day, so everyone's going to check him out!

I agree with Artemis. The first time we went to Florence we stood in a line for over an hour to see David. The next time we went we prebooked our tickets for the Uffizi and it was great to just walk in.

David was and is my favourite of everything we have seen in Florence and if you can only make time for one place, make sure it is David.

Climbing to the top of the Duomo was a big challenge for me as I am claustrophobic and I still am proud of that achievement. The view is out of this world and well worth the effort of climbing over 700 steps. (I think)

Also go the market and rub the Boars nose, just to make sure you will return again!

Jennie

Archived