Help selecting cruise for various ages

daisy37

I'm thinking of going to Alaska in August. Yes, I know there isn't much time left to plan. Originally it was just me and dd10 and we were going on Disney. However my DD25 wants to come but isn't interested in DCL. Therefore, I'm trying to find a cruise that will have children activities but also young single adults.

thanks in advance for the suggestions.:)

I would instead suggest you find out about Alaska, how you wish to occupy your port time, and understand the big differences with itineraries. This may offer you a better selection of cruises. I would not worry about the "kids", overall expect fewer of them compared to the Caribbean, but all ages sail on every line. A compromise, may also be a Disney Cruise?

If you are able to late book, there can be significant discounts about a month out. Alaska is in over supply with some excellent bargains waiting to be picked up. :)

I also would learn about Alaska. A lot of the fun will come from the ports as mentioned.

I think in the end Disney will work because you will likely also see others in their 20's on the cruise as well like your situation.

Keith

All the cruise lines will have kids' programs. I actually read a post that stated their child preferred HAL's kid's club better than Disney. One comment often made, is that with fewer children on the other lines, they get more attention in the kids' clubs. I am not aware of any line that will have an abundance of young adults. BQ has stated she has been on all the main cruise lines in AK, except Disney. She says the demographics are similar on all lines, even Carnival.

I am not sure what your focus is for this cruise. Is it a relaxing getaway, or are you out to see the beauty of AK? If it is the latter, than I agree, you need to learn about the various ports and glaciers that the cruise ships visit. Then find an itinerary that will allow you to see and do what you want. Those who have been on many AK cruises often state that AK cruises are far more subdued with less activities than cruises to other destinations.

I like Glacier Bay with Tracy Arm being my second choice. Others prefer Hubbard Glacier. Read about them all and see if one seems to appeal to you more than the others. Then you can start looking for a ship that will take you where you want to go.

Archived