Operation Brightstar

Avril

I was just wondering if anyone knows what this means. I heard it on my recent cruise on the Victory. It came over the ship's PA system. They said "Operation Brightstar Crew Bar Deck 0 forward"

Thanks!! :D

They have code words for situations. I'm trying to remember what they called for medicals.

I know they do. I just don't know what this one is and I'm curious. I think medical is "Alpha". I remember on my cruise on the Radiance of the Seas, when someone had a heart attack in the dining room, they said over the PA "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha, Dining Room, Starboard side, Deck 5".

Inquisitive minds need to know these things!! :D

The crew is constantly undergoing emergency/crisis training as part of operating to US ports. I'd be more likely to believe that it was a training operation (especially if this occured in port rather than on an at sea day) then a serious issue.

The crew is constantly undergoing emergency/crisis training as part of operating to US ports. I'd be more likely to believe that it was a training operation (especially if this occured in port rather than on an at sea day) then a serious issue.

Well, I do like that explaination much better than the ones above :D however, we weren't cruising to US ports (our ports were Saint John and Halifax, both in Canada). Also, if I remember right, it was on a sea day. I wish I remembered more about it but all I really remember is what was said "Operation Brightstar Crew Bar Deck 0 Forward"

I hope no one was seriously sick or had died but if that's what it means, that's what it means. I feel sorry for their family. :(

Bright Star refers to a medical emergency requiring immediate response,

It does not mean someone has died, although that could be the outcome.

On my 8 day Splendor cruise in July, Bright Star came over the PA system and a specific cabin number was given.

My understanding is that a teenager developed a condition requiring immediate surgery and the ship diverted course and the passenger and a parent or two were disembarked at an unscheduled stop in Spain. Last I heard the passenger was ok (and I hope still is), and that Bright Star probably saved a life.

You can see on the GPS track the abrupt change of course and then resumption

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6009.JPG

Bright Star does mean a medical emergency. Rising Star means someone has died. We were on the Triumph in May (Sat - Sat) and on Tuesday, one of our days at sea, we were by the pool when we heard "Operation Bright Star" being announced and saw staff running to the main Lido deck pool area. Shortly afterwards, we heard the "Operation Rising Star" announcement and more staff heading to the pool area. As it turned out, a woman who was a couple of cabins down the hall from us had a heart attack and died. From what we'd heard, the couple didn't purchase the trip insurance and as a result, the husband had to finish out the cruise while his wife was in the ship's morgue.......very sad.

• 3 months later...

thanks - we recently heard a call for operation bright star - then a few days leter there was a call for the C-team (might have been Sea-Team) -

in both cases the crew were directed to a very specific location.

Does anyone know what the C team call means ?

Forgot to add - these are specific to CCL. Other cruise lines will have their own variations. With CCL, there is no code for the death of a passenger. As someone stated, a brighstar might end up being a death on board, but there is no specific code.

The reason for the codes is to alert the officers, staff and crew involved in the fastest way possible. With a death, there is no need to alert people quickly and the ship's internal communication system (phones, pagers, radios etc) is sufficient.

Operation brightstar - medical emergency

Bravo - man overboard

Code Alpha - fire

Sierra team - stretcher team

Delta - disaster, multiple casualties

Edit to add - there are monthly drills for the crew for these codes.

We were on the Pride this last May and experienced a crew drill. We had just left Mazatlan and were in the middle of dinner, early seating. "Bravo, Bravo Port Side...." came over the loud speakers. It was kinda funny to watch the faces of the crew when it happened. They all froze for a split second and then ran to the windows. Comforting to know that they drop what they are doing when there is an emergency.

To the OP hope yours was just a drill too.

• 1 month later...

We heard a Operation Bright Star to Cabin 4111 on the Spirit on the second day of our trip departing 1/23/09 we asked the Cabin stewart and he did not have a clue what it ment....he probably did but would not tell us...

Does anybody have a clue what happened?

Yes, there was a death on your cruise, Spirit 01/23 sailing. The mornng before Acapulco around 7am or so (I believe), a woman tried to wake her husband up to find that he had died in his sleep. That's all I know.

Thanks for the Info....I just told my DS what you said she told me my Niece talked to there neighbor and told her the story....why she did not tell me i dont know...Also my BIL said he saw them take the body off this morning......not sure if that is true or not....i think it could of been anything

• 8 months later...

Had the same code on Miracle last week while we were on board and yes the previous post I saw is correct. Someone passed away on deck 6 while we were at sea. I believe on the 2nd or 3rd night? It was rather shocking to hear all the crew chatting about it so freely a bit distastful.

Had the same code on Miracle last week while we were on board and yes the previous post I saw is correct. Someone passed away on deck 6 while we were at sea. I believe on the 2nd or 3rd night? It was rather shocking to hear all the crew chatting about it so freely a bit distastful.

We were on that cruise and we were told it was a medical situation but didn't result in a death...funny how different staff members give different outcomes :rolleyes:

There was another call for .....um how do I put it delicately, someone making pizza's in a public area. When on the Liberty a couple of years ago it was really rough and saw a lady (there were many) who got sick in a hallway, and they paged with this call (the one I can't remember) for that hall (like port side veranda). Heard it several times that day. They actually had what appeared to be air sickness bags stuffed in the hand hold of hallways.:o

Looks like someone dragged up an old post, but the timing is interesting to me. Last week on the Glory we were chatting with the bartender at the pool bar. Operation Bright Star was called and she told us it means medical emergency. Several days later we were doing the Beyond the Fun tour and passed by the morgue and the Carnival trainer told us that it had not been used in years. Glad to hear the person must have been ok.

Also, same bar, same day, a passenger called to the bartender that there was smoke coming from under the busboy station. Apparently someone had thrown a lit cigarette and it had caught fire. The crew moved really fast to take care of it.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Miracle, 11/4-11/12, and the third night we heard Sierra Team at 2:30 a.m., apparently a man pushed his girlfriend over the balcony from the 7th floor to the 5th floor, but in the front of the ship, where the 5th floor deck stick out a few feet and luckinly she landed on the deck but apparently she is seriosuly injured. Then the last night of the cruise we heard "Bright Star" at 2:00 a.m. and that person died. I am still really wanting to know what happenned to that poor girl, we saw her go off the ship in St. Martin, with her head immobilized, a crew member said her neck was broken. Then a zip line snapped in St. Kitts and injured someone, and a train derailed!

Archived