Alitalia - First Class

martinimadam

I hate continuing to be the bearer of bad news, but from Boston to Malpensa you would be on an ancient 767, and they offer business class (called Magnifica). While a monumental step up from the third worldesque steerage offered by Alitalia I do not think that it is worth the money. Going to Lisbon, I would rather fly coach on Air France through Paris than Business on Alitalia through Malpensa.

Have not been on an AZ 767, but I can attest that Magnifica Class on their 777's is quite nice. Seats are significantly wider and better. However, most of the service from the USA is on the 767, which is both older and less desirable from a passenger comfort standpoint.

I would take AZ in business class on the 777 and be hesitant on the 767. Milan Malpensa (MXP) can be a zoo when lots of flights arrive and the immigration lines stretch out. Also, the AZ lounges at MXP aren't world beaters, though better than waiting at the gate.

If you can arrange it, think about CO on a routing of BOS-EWR-LIS. You have no mid-trip immigration on the outbound and your connections are in Newark. The CO 757 on the flight should work fine in BusinessFirst. Lots of flights BOS-EWR, so you can get whatever amount of connection time you want.

Thanks for the info and good advice. Changed my reservation to CO from BOS-EWR-LIS. Cost me $135 for change fees, etc., but, I'm sure it's going to be worth every penney!

Next cruise I'll check with you all before I make a move!

So glad I found Cruise Critic. Full of wonderful, helpful people!

Thanks, again.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from the cruise. It was wonderful. But, more importantly for this board, the advice to fly CO on the BOS-EWR-LIS connections was PERFECT! Can't thank you all enough for the great advice! The service was spectacular. The flight was a bit delayed in EWR. Rotten weather all along the eastern seaboard. They were actually waiting for some incoming CO flights that had been delayed by the weather. Nice touch, I thought. In Business/First the seats actually fully reclined! The food was great, and I actually got a few hours sleep (not normal for me)! I will certainly check back here the next time I'm flying to Europe to get more great suggestions. Thanks again.

Just beware that on CO that they have different business first seats on their 777 and 767 jets. Service is the same, just different seats (the ones on the 777 recline more).

If you're on a 757, lucky you as they are now rolling out the AVOD systems in BizFirst.

• 1 month later...

Archived