Great Cruise moments on TV/ movies

Hey I just saw a clip for this week's episode of Ghost Whisperer that features a romantic anniversary cruise (that's haunted naturally) -- but it got me to thinking about all those old romantic films with cruises -- I have a memory of Cary Grant on a cruise -- wacky shananigans abound. Maybe Only Angels Have Wings???

Anyway -- I thought I'd start a thread for great "Cruise" moments in entertainment... anyone have any to share?

• 4 months later...

how about an affair to remember, about 1960 with cary grant and deborah carr. I loved that movie. He is a playboy who wants to paint and she has been sent by her fiance on a trip to the Mediteranean. It was the last movie I saw at a drive in. It is a chick flick. with an accident that causes a disconnect at the planned reunion at the top of the Empire state building.

• 1 month later...

Well, you'll have to admit that Titanic with Leonardo & Kate had some fine cruise scenes. The final scenes gave me the impetus to attend each & every lifeboat drill.

Ah, Oak Hill,

You're setting yourself up for the obligatory "Ship lover" lecture:

Titanic was in the business of transporting passengers from point A to point B, so she was an OCEAN LINER, and her voyages would generally be called crossings. :D

On a CRUISE SHIP, the voyage is the purpose of the trip, not transportation, so those are called cruises. :rolleyes:

Let's not forget about ocean liners that became or doubled as cruise ships. SS Norway comes to mind. ;)

Generally speaking, an ocean liner is built with stronger plating than its cruise counterpart.

Speaking of ocean/cruise liners, SS United States had a part in the 1962 Disney film "Bon Voyage." The Big U cruised the tropics during the winter months.

This was technically on an ocean liner, but there was a scene on the Marx brothers movie A Night at the Opera (very funny) where they stowaway on the ship going to New York. The antics of hiding them in this tiny room and staff crowding in to deliver different things. It's too funny for words. I highly recommend watching it.

In the days leading up to a cruise I love watching a film that features a ship. Juggernaut mentioned above is a great picture, shot aboard the liner that would become the Maxim Gorky shortly thereafter.

Here are some of my all-time ocean liner film favorites.

Dodsworth - A retired automobile tycoon (Walter Huston) and his wife (Ruth Chatterton) head to Europe for a wonderful vacation. However, shortly after they arrive the wife gets involved in a series of indiscretions and the couple learns that the following perhaps will not be quite that golden. There are some terrific shots of the Queen Mary in New York City and a good twenty minutes of the picture take place aboard the QM during a transatlantic crossing. Towards the end of the film there's also a nice shot of the famous Italian Liner, Rex steaming across the Mediterranean. Nominated for 7 Oscars including best picture. It won for best Art Direction.

The Lady Eve - Great Preston Sturges romantic, screwball comedy with Charles Coburn and Barbara Stanwyck as father/daughter con-artists who attempt to dupe a bumbling explorer, Henry Fonda aboard the S.S. Southern Queen. Nominated for 1 Oscar.

Now Voyager - In an effort to build her self-esteem and escape the grasp of her domineering mother, Bette Davis takes an ocean voyage and begins a high seas love affair with Paul Henreid. A tremendous film, with some wonderfully escapist ship and port scenes. Nominated for 3 Oscars including best actress Bette Davis. 1 Oscar win for Best Music Score.

Dangerous Crossing - A terrific, taut, mystery starring Jean Crain who boards an ocean liner to celebrate her honeymoon. Soon after the newlyweds check into their cabin, the husband disappears without a trace. The ship's officers find no sign of the man and soon question the woman's sanity. Great puzzler with superb ocean liner feeling and excellent sets the same ones used in Titanic and Gentleman Prefer Blondes. The film also stars Michael Rennie of The Day the Earth Stood Still, as the ship's doctor the only person aboard who gives Crain the benefit of the doubt.

The Voyage of the Dammed - A haunting and compelling film which depicts the true story of a ship full of German Jewish Refugees bound for safe haven in Havana however they are denied permission to land anywhere. A star studded cast, very well acted and just about the entire film takes place aboard an ocean liner. It was nominated for three Oscars.

The Legend of 1900 - A bittersweet tale of a man (Tim Roth) who spends his entire life upon a steam ship. The film evokes the elegance of ocean travel from a bygone era. No Oscar nods but did win Golden Globe for best original score.

The Poseidon Adventure - A classic, adventure tale about a band of survivors attempting to escape from a capsized ocean liner. Tremendous special effects and stellar cast make this film a winner. It was nominated for 8 Oscars. It won for best original song, The Morning After. The film was also awarded a special Oscar for visual effects.

Poseidon - The remake of the latter. A rousing tale of survival with boat loads of suspense. The staggering opening shot of the ship is actually computer generated but you would never know it. The ship interiors were based on the Queen Mary 2's Britannia Restaurant. It earned one Oscar nomination for best visual effects.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The cruise director tries to make the most of a bad situation as passengers are told their ship is in danger in the Uk disaster movie "Juggernaut." :eek:

As you can see from my sig line, I was on the Maxim Gorkiy twice. I'll never forget when my mother and I went to see Juggernaut, we were floored and said out loud in the theater "That's the Gorky!" Good thing it wasn't crowded at the time!

Anita

• 3 weeks later...

Archived