Taxes on royal caribbean

Does anyone know how Royal Caribbean calculates the taxes on the fares? I see an 8-night Eastern Caribbean (4 ports) with taxes of $114. Then there's a 6-night Western with 3 ports and the taxes are higher ($120).

I have booked a 7-night with 4 ports in the Southern Caribbean and the taxes are $44.00!!

A lot of inconsistencies!

I believe it's set by the ports. Regardless it's such a small part of the total cost of a balcony room we've never paid much attention. It is what it is:D

It can actually be quite high. I looked at an inside room for $478 and the taxes were $120 - that 25% of the fare. Just wondered if there was some sort of formula.

Does anyone know how Royal Caribbean calculates the taxes on the fares? I see an 8-night Eastern Caribbean (4 ports) with taxes of $114. Then there's a 6-night Western with 3 ports and the taxes are higher ($120).

I have booked a 7-night with 4 ports in the Southern Caribbean and the taxes are $44.00!!

A lot of inconsistencies!

The so-called "Govt Fees/Taxes" that are added to the cruisefare are "charges/expenditures" that the cruiseline has to pay and is allowed to pass on to the cruiser. They aren't a percentage of the cruisefare. The cruiselines aren't very forthcoming about the specifics. ken

It can actually be quite high. I looked at an inside room for $478 and the taxes were $120 - that 25% of the fare. Just wondered if there was some sort of formula.

The taxes and fees are the same for all cabin types on a cruise. They are calculated per person and are solely based on the taxes and fees incurred in docking at the ports on your itinerary.

Steve

Royal Caribbean doesn't set the port charges. The ports do. Royal Caribbean is charged for docking at each port, and that cost is passed on to the cruisers. Some ports charge higher port charges than others. They also tend to charge more per passenger the larger the ship is.

The lines aren't very forthcoming about this and as mentioned it does vary by port.

That being said you can save a few hundred bucks by driving the 75 minutes to Buffalo as opposed to flying out a Malton..

Royal Caribbean doesn't set the port charges. The ports do. Royal Caribbean is charged for docking at each port, and that cost is passed on to the cruisers. Some ports charge higher port charges than others. They also tend to charge more per passenger the larger the ship is.

Port charges are not the same as taxes and fees.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Depends on the ports that you leave/visit. The cheapest that I know of is San Juan @ $44.32:) per (02/10/13 sail) versus our upcoming Allure out of Fort Lauderdale (02/09/14) @ 126.45:mad: per. Both are for 7 days.

Also, our August, 11 2013 cruise out of Barcelona the fee is $124.50:D for a 12 niter.

For the first time, we book a Panama Canal cruise "next cruise" while on the Enchantment. The tax was almost $115. more than if we had booked it when we got home. I inquired about it after checking prices online(has I always do) after we got home. Basically, I got no real answer as to why the tax was higher:mad:. If the cruise price wasn't higher, I would have canceled and re- booked.

For the first time, we book a Panama Canal cruise "next cruise" while on the Enchantment. The tax was almost $115. more than if we had booked it when we got home. I inquired about it after checking prices online(has I always do) after we got home. Basically, I got no real answer as to why the tax was higher:mad:. If the cruise price wasn't higher, I would have canceled and re- booked.

That makes no sense. Did you inquiry further?

Archived