Grandeur Fire - My experience 100% positive

I know there were a few people who really snapped during and after the muster on the 24May sailing fire. Aside from having a self-healing ship or the power of fortunetelling to have prevented this fire there is nothing else I could think to ask of from Royal Caribbean in the manner they handled things.

My group of 4 was in the very center aft on deck 7, right above where the fire was taking place. It is scary in hind sight knowing where the fire was and after seeing the ship from outside, but none of us ever were more than tense during the event.

I'm happy to answer questions as I can, be it about the ship post-refurb, in general, or the event itself. I can only give my experience, comments of the different speculation going around onboard (which there was a lot), what I learned from talking to staff, and whatnot.

The staff was amazing. I cannot say that loudly enough.

I've posted my experience here:

http://staynegative.blogspot.com/2013/05/on-23rd-we-headed-down-to-baltimore-for.html

Judy

Really glad you are safe and that you took the time to acknowledge the fine efforts of the ship's crew on the passengers behalf. It sounds like you may have been next door to or very close to the member Korianto who started a thread here earlier today regarding her experiences in deck 7 aft.

Really glad you are safe and that you took the time to acknowledge the fine efforts of the ship's crew on the passengers behalf. It sounds like you may have been next door to or very close to the member Korianto who started a thread here earlier today regarding her experiences in deck 7 aft.

Right next door with 2 completely different outlooks on their experiences. It really shows that attitude is everything in life.

To the OP, I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.

Wow -- that's quite a story. Your attitude is refreshing -- I'd like to think I'd react similarly. Not to state the obvious but I'm sure this is a vacation you'll remember for *a looong time.* :) Glad you're safe!

Thanks for the update--forgive me if this seems odd, but I was thinking about you over the last few days, as we had just left 7156 as you were getting on last Friday. Glad to hear that all is well and you're doing ok!

It's so funny... last Thursday night I was talking with Waylon, a bartender in the Crown Lounge, who happened to have been one of the folks in charge of our muster drill. He said that if something were to happen, he knew that he needed to stay calm and keep his passengers safe and as calm as he could. From what I've heard, most of the crew did just that. :)

We were on Deck 3 fore and did not realize the fire was as bad as what it turned out to be. The staff on the Grandeur was amazing and did a fantastic job keeping us informed and calm. We could not have asked for better treatment or knowledge than what we were given. Royal Caribbean and the Grandeur crew answered the need royally. We were so impressed with the actions, we booked a cruise while on board even after the fire. We will be back on the Grandeur in November.

Thank you Royal for taking such good care of us during this crisis.

Wow..I just read your blog....What an experience...and you handled it with such grace. Fires can happen on any vacation, land or sea, and it's sad when a small amount of people feel the need to capitalize. I am also loyal to royal for many reasons and now even more after reading your account on how they handled this difficult situation. Thank you for your enlightening us.

How bad was your cabin damaged or was it affected?

Our balcony was a pretty big mess, but the usable space was cleaned up, which I didn't expect to have happen. Lots of soot on everything. There was a pretty strong smell along the back... no doubt, but it cleared out surprisingly well within 24 hours.

You can see 3 before and quite a few more after photos here:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=9794c61a33278728d33ce936de451066&sid=8CaNmzFqxaM2I

Thanks for the update--forgive me if this seems odd, but I was thinking about you over the last few days, as we had just left 7156 as you were getting on last Friday. Glad to hear that all is well and you're doing ok!

It's so funny... last Thursday night I was talking with Waylon, a bartender in the Crown Lounge, who happened to have been one of the folks in charge of our muster drill. He said that if something were to happen, he knew that he needed to stay calm and keep his passengers safe and as calm as he could. From what I've heard, most of the crew did just that. :)

Not odd at all. I thought of you and others that posted about being on there recently! By the way, you and your little one kept the room in tip top shape for us ;)

They were prepared, for sure. Taking the time to talk to some of the staff, since they seemed to have a little more leeway as passengers thinned out, they spoke of all of the practice and training. But rest assured, there were still comments of "while I knew what I needed to do... my hand was shaking like this (demonstration) while I put my key into the rooms to check the cabins".

Judy

Thanks for posting the pictures- I was actually expecting a lot more damage to the aft cabins. But it appears that most of the problem was lots and lots of soot. Better than a lot of heat, for sure.

Glad you are ok, too!!!

We like those aft cabins, and probably will end up on one sometime in the futuer out of Baltimore, so it coulda.... :o

Thanks for posting your experience and your pictures. From other posts I have read about deck 7 aft, I had expected that everything was melted and destroyed. Your pictures really tell a different story, quite a bit of smoke, soot and overall "yuck" but not the picture that is being painted elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for those photos. We were in corner aft 7150 on Grandeur last summer (one of our favourite cruises ever) and were so sad to see the damage and to hear all the various stories. Just wanted to say I love the "Get Well Soon" message marked out in the soot :)

Our balcony was a pretty big mess, but the usable space was cleaned up, which I didn't expect to have happen. Lots of soot on everything. There was a pretty strong smell along the back... no doubt, but it cleared out surprisingly well within 24 hours.

You can see 3 before and quite a few more after photos here:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=9794c61a33278728d33ce936de451066&sid=8CaNmzFqxaM2I

Thanks for sharing those--it's amazing seeing the before and after pics. Was your cabin interior damaged at all?

-Alli

PS--I'm glad you didn't find a Matchbox car or some leftover Play Doh! We tipped the steward extra to make sure the cabin was clean for you. :)

Thanks for the positive post and pictures of the ship. What did someone write on the outside of the glass? It almost looks like Get Well Soon. But can't really tell.

Thanks for the positive post and pictures of the ship. What did someone write on the outside of the glass? It almost looks like Get Well Soon. But can't really tell.

I think you're right - it says "Get Well Soon." I assume the OP wrote it, hoping the ship is fixed and back in action before long (July, it sounds like).

I think you're right - it says "Get Well Soon." I assume the OP wrote it, hoping the ship is fixed and back in action before long (July, it sounds like).

That is so cute!!

Thanks for sharing your story, so glad everyone is safe and the crew treated you well. Grandeur's a special ship :)

Thank you for that account of the fire. It is great to read an account from such a loyal, grateful passenger who has recognised the expertise of the crew in this terrible situation. There are soooo many people who try to claim compensation for anything and everything at the moment. Your review was very refreshing to say the least.

Must admit, we always have an aft cabin on deck 8 of the Silhouette - can't imagine being so close to a fire.

I am glad that you are all home safe.

:)

Archived