La Bombonera? Say it Isn't So!

Host Faith

Hi All! I just saw a post online about the possibility of La Bombonera closing. Can someone confirm? I hope it's not true. This article is in Spanish: http://www.vocero.com/cierra-la-bombonera/

I found out about it from this page.

I was told it was already closed by someone before our cruise in March and it was very much open with line out the door. Unless they just are tired of running it, I can't imagine it's because they are losing business.:confused: I can't read Spanish so I don't know either. I wonder if that includes Cafe Mallorca which is just down the street and I was told, owned by the same people. Very sad if it's true.:(

OK, so I went to translator and this is the gist of it:

After 110 years of tradition, the emblematic sanjuanero restaurant La Bombonera will close its doors to the public as the building where the kitchen is located will be sold.

Earlier this year, EL VOCERO published that closure rumours circulated in the community, but administrative staff denied in a forceful manner that the establishment had a problem.

However, a source of entire credit informed this newspaper last Friday administrators gathered to all staff and informed them that unfortunately next Monday will be the last day of work.

The restaurant founded in 1902 in old San Juan, famous for its delicious mallorcas and coffee, occupies two buildings. Property of La Bombonera - one - is the dining room, delivery of bread and baked goods. On the other - which is rented - is the kitchen, baths and the firm. The owner of this building you expressed to the owners of the establishment who did not want to continue with the lease because he wants to renovate and sell.

"Was offered buy the area, renew contract." It was by a thousand ways and could not, opposed to negotiate. "And a restaurant without kitchen or bathroom can not work," said the source who preferred not to be identified.

However, the official version does not seem certain to the eyes of everyone. It has also transpired that the cancellation of the lease is the excuse of owners to close and the reality is that in building colonial property of the restaurant could build the kitchen and bathrooms in the back of the dining room or in the upper floors, but they prefer close to change the type of business.

The closure of operations would leave about 40 people jobless. Unionados, some carrying 65 years of work in trade, receive approximately only one month's wages.

La Bombonera, located in the San Francisco Street, is considered the third oldest restaurant of the colonial islet, superseding the missing coffee Turull, founded in 1816, and La Mallorquina, in 1848, which closed earlier this year. This would be the fourth restaurant in old San Juan which ends operations this year with La Mallorquina closures in the street San Justo, Maria's on the street of the Christ and Baru in San Sebastián Street.

The iconic place, gathering place for sanjuaneros, intellectuals, artists and the public in general suffered the shocks of the economic recession, but resistance thanks to the sponsorship of the community. Last Friday, with the aggravating circumstance of a blackout, the guests queued up to enjoy the typical dishes of the meal Creole and Spanish. His most popular item have always been the mallorcas or ensaimadas, typical of the island of Majorca, which still maintains the original recipe that brought those Majorcans from the beginning of the 20th century.

So it appears that it will close this coming Monday. Too bad.:( For the employees, the patrons and the owners.

La Bombonera's closing will be partial and temporary. They will leave the pastry section open for take out while they figure out where and how to relocate their kitchen and bathrooms.

About an hour ago, there was a high-level meeting with government, tourism and private bank officials to look for alternatives.

Thank you for your interest.

La Bombonera's closing will be partial and temporary. They will leave the pastry section open for take out while they figure out where and how to relocate their kitchen and bathrooms.

About an hour ago, there was a high-level meeting with government, tourism and private bank officials to look for alternatives.

Good to know, thanks Aviator! I was hoping you would see this thread :)

We were there last week. I can see the need for them to remodel. I believe there is space next door to expand. Do stop by and get their pastries and a coffee then head back to the little plaza a block away and enjoy them there. BTW, I did notice that Cafe Mallorca on Calle San Francisco, across from the Plaza, had an Open sign lit in the window and guys working on the outside of the building. So that might be an alternative for mallorcas. I did find the ham and cheese mallorca at la Bombonera to be a bit below par. Bread/pastry was great but filling was sliced ham from a package like you buy here in a grocery lunch meat section and "queso" was a slice of American cheese, yuk.

Well thats good to hear , told my wife last night over dinner she was like wow , that is so hard to believe , we always make a stop there everytime we are in San Juan. Good Luck hope they can get it all worked out.

Oh thank goodness! We will be there the first week of November. I had my heart set on mallorcas from La Bombonera.

Oh thank goodness! We will be there the first week of November. I had my heart set on mallorcas from La Bombonera.

Cafe Mallorca really does a great job too! They almost very similar and someone once told me that they were owned by the same owner, but I don't know if that is correct. If there was a line at LB we just walked a block down the street and went to CM and usually got seated somewhere. I personally prefer CM, but just because it is a little smaller and it's a tradition with us. So if LB is not open by then, check out CF.

I don't think the La Bombonera and Cafe Mallorca have the same owners. Ownership of La Bombonera seems to precisely be the problem.

You see, it was originally opened over a hundred years by two parteners by the surnames of Puig and Abraham. Over the years, ownership shares have been spread among so many succesors (heirs), that now some of them want to part. It was reported that a group of such succesors also own the building next door where the kitchen and the rest rooms are, want to sell that building and also want to part with their Bombonera ownership. I guess it is not as attractive to spread earnings among a couple of owners versus a few dozen.

If this is indeed a conflict among common heirs, I suspect the complications will keep La Bombonera closed for far longer than anyone is hoping for at this point.

I don't think the La Bombonera and Cafe Mallorca have the same owners. Ownership of La Bombonera seems to precisely be the problem.

You see, it was originally opened over a hundred years by two parteners by the surnames of Puig and Abraham. Over the years, ownership shares have been spread among so many succesors (heirs), that now some of them want to part. It was reported that a group of such succesors also own the building next door where the kitchen and the rest rooms are, want to sell that building and also want to part with their Bombonera ownership. I guess it is not as attractive to spread earnings among a couple of owners versus a few dozen.

If this is indeed a conflict among common heirs, I suspect the complications will keep La Bombonera closed for far longer than anyone is hoping for at this point.

Thank you for the clarity!! I can only imagine the dilemma with it all. We sure love coming to San Juan, the people, the food, the mallorcas!!;) Each year it gets better!!

Best regards

Thank you for the clarity!! I can only imagine the dilemma with it all. We sure love coming to San Juan' date=' the people, the food, the mallorcas!!;) Each year it gets better!!

Best regards[/quote']

Hey, we've been here for over 500 years and someway, somehow, we'll do our best to keep the fine folk like you who visit us happy for at least another 500 years!

Cheers,

We've been visiting frequently in San Juan for over 40 years and still enjoy our visits as much as ever. We were there two weeks ago and had a wonderful lunch at Parrot Club..... and delicious mojito for me. :)

Aviator....I think I missed this somewhere in this thread. We will be coming in May 19, leaving on the Victory May 20, and La Bombonera is in my itinerary for breakfast!!! Will this still be possible? Or should I start looking elsewhere? I'm planning for our group, and had made the decision to get Mallorcas since I've heard great reviews! Thanks!

Aviator....I think I missed this somewhere in this thread. We will be coming in May 19, leaving on the Victory May 20, and La Bombonera is in my itinerary for breakfast!!! Will this still be possible? Or should I start looking elsewhere? I'm planning for our group, and had made the decision to get Mallorcas since I've heard great reviews! Thanks!

I am sorry to report that yesterday the owners could not agree on a plan to keep La Bombonera running and it closed indefinitively.

Thx for the update , that is just so sad . We have so many fond memeories of going there . Our last cruise we took a young couple First cruise , he still talks about the breakfast sandwich he got there in the pastry ..... Guess no more at least for now.

I am sorry to report that yesterday the owners could not agree on a plan to keep La Bombonera running and it closed indefinitively.

Aviator, can you confirm that Cafe Mallorca is indeed reopened? Cluelyss18, it's in the small square a block down from LB, might be a good substitute. Or Cafe Cultura over by Plaza Colon, just a few blocks away and even easier to get to from the Pier, if you head into OSJ along the street by the Sheraton and Post Office.

Aviator, can you confirm that Cafe Mallorca is indeed reopened? Cluelyss18, it's in the small square a block down from LB, might be a good substitute. Or Cafe Cultura over by Plaza Colon, just a few blocks away and even easier to get to from the Pier, if you head into OSJ along the street by the Sheraton and Post Office.

Cafe Mallorca is still open. I was just there in March and it was as good as ever. They are sure going to be hopping now. I had not heard of Cafe Cultura. Maybe I'll have to check them 1 of the mornings next year.

Archived