Celebrity Silhouette - 29th April 2013

MarkusDY

We are also on this cruise. It's our first one with Celebrity. My partner and I have sailed on (all German-speaking) Aida before, which we enjoyed, but this time around we wanted an international cruise. Celebrity's alleged gay friendliness was an additional selling point. Aida doesn't have any LGBT meetings, so hopefully there will be some on this cruise. See you there!

Hi there,

Nice to hear your on board too. I am Markus, my partner is Andrew, pleased to meet you.

Celebrity really is wonderful, I'm sure you will enjoy. They have become our favourite cruise line. We love the Aida ships, so colourful. They are not really marketed here in the UK.

Are you flying in to rome early or on the day of departure?

Markus

Hello,

we are flying to Rome already on Saturday, as we both have not been to Rome before and would like to do some sightseeing. We will then take the train to Civitavecchia on Monday morning. We are really looking forward to this cruise, as we think the style of the S-Class Celebrity ships is more to our liking than the very colorful Aida ships. We did enjoy the casual, buffet-style dining experience of Aida, so we'll see how we like the more formal sit-down dinners of Celebrity. Due to some price drops we even upgraded to Aqua Class, so we'll have access to Blu, which I hear is very nice.

Hi again!

Well we fly out Monday morning, so I hope our flight is not delayed! Rome is beautiful, you will enjoy some sight seeing there I am sure.

We also found some great deals so we opted for Concierge class this time. Blu is very nice, but I prefer the atmosphere of the Main Dining Room, where are Blu is very quiet. But we all have different tastes don't we?

Maybe it would be nice to meet for a social drink on board if you would like to join us sometime?

Hi,

Yes, certainly, let's meet up for a drink or so. I trust there will be LGBT gatherings; however, I understand that time and location are posted on a board near the Guest Relations desk and not in the bulletin that distributed to the staterooms. I read this somewhere on this board. What was your experience with your past Celebrity cruises?

Morning both,

I actually don't remember about where they publicise the meetings. I remember knowing about them, but we never went. We've been to them on other cruise lines and didn't find them very social, it was more a case of people looking each other up and down if you understand.

Maybe we can exchange email address and arrange some time to meet up for a drink on board?

Have you guys planned much for trips at each destination yet? I haven't even thought about it, but then we only booked a few days ago!

Hi there,

we have not made any definite plans for excursions, as we will most likely DIY the ports of call. One exception could be Kusadasi, where we might take an organized excursion, be it by Celebrity or some other company.

I am not sure whether it is such a good idea to exchange private e-mail addresses on a public board. Is there a way to send private messages over this board? Then we can set up something for meeting onboard next month.

We can't wait to start the cruise, especially since it started snowing heavily here since yesterday! So we are really looking forward to the warmth of the Mediterranean.

Yes, we're the same. We don't usually take ships tours and often find you can arrange something better yourself.

I agree about the email address, but not sure how you send a private message. I'll have a look.

We have snow here too, luckily not too heavy just yet, but it's been around for a couple of days now. Hope it will go soon!

Hi again,

Apparently there is no private message function in here. Are you on Facebook at all? If so, you can add me on there and we can arrange something?

Hope the vacation preparation is going well in the mean time?

Catch you later.

Markus

Hi,

after a short Google search I think I found your e-mail address -- so much for privacy on the Internet :-)

Is it a gmail account? Let me know, and I will send you an e-mail there.

Have you received your travel documents yet? We haven't, but we booked through a TA, so it might take longer.

Hello,

Yes, I do have a gmail account, sounds like you have found my email quite easily! Sure, send a message and let's see if it reaches me.

We haven't completed online check in yet, so I don't think the luggage tags and other things are produced until then. We just had the travel agency receipt so far. Have you done the online check in? Did you book a named cabin number or guarantee? We did guarantee and had the cabin number confirmed now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Rob and Bill here from Washington DC. We will be on this cruise too. We have sailed Celebrity a lot. They post the special functions on a board at the guest services level. Generally it is usually 7.30 at the Martini bar. Used to post as Friends of Dorothy - pretty sure they changed that to LGBT.

Hopefully we can meet and chat one evening.

If either of you would like to send us an email just use our name and add at hotmail dot com. I check that every couple of days - and then send our normal email address.

Hi Rob and Bill, great to hear from you.

I am Markus, my partner is Andrew. We have sailed Celebrity before too and really looking forward to another trip. I think you're right, the meeting gets posted as LGBT I'm pretty sure. We haven't usually gone to those meetings, but would love to meet up for a drink and chat sometime on board.

I'll try and drop you an email now. Otherwise, feel free to drop me an email by adding "oung at gmail.com" to the end of my username on here?

Take care for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting excited, too!

I watched the Silhouette's sail-away for its TA-passage to Rome last night out of Fort Lauderdale via webcam -- she was 30 minutes late, as the Allure of the Seas and the Celebrity Freedom had to get out first.

@MarkusDY: there was a group of your fellow countrymen with a Union Jack hanging off their balcony visible on the webcam; they looked really happy to be on the Silhouette :)

See you on board; any suggestions for a good meeting place to have a drink?

Archived