Best area of Auckland to stay in precruise

tnr

I have been reading through these forums, but just seem to get more confused. We will be staying in Auckland 4 nights precruise next January. I would like to stay in an area that has a lot of restaurants, some shopping, and a nice area to walk around. Should that be central Auckland, Parnell, or ?????. I really could use some advice.:confused:

I have been reading through these forums, but just seem to get more confused. We will be staying in Auckland 4 nights precruise next January. I would like to stay in an area that has a lot of restaurants, some shopping, and a nice area to walk around. Should that be central Auckland, Parnell, or ?????. I really could use some advice.:confused:

I like Parnell and have stayed there on a number of occasions. It has good restaurants/cafes, shopping and a nice residential area to walk around in (beautiful Parnell rose garden and Domain, with War Memorial Museum).

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/334/auckland-domain-sculpture-walk

I like the atmosphere - it feels like I'm in NZ, not a CBD which could be in any developed city of the world.

Just returned from our regatta cruise.We stayed at the Hilton best loacation and walk right to your ship.Aroundthe corner from the ferry building.Free shuttle bus to the Kelly Tarton Auqu.Fantasic views of the harbor and bridge.

The Sebel is pretty nice...its in Central Auckland but right on the waterfront..in the area where the Americas Cup Yachts were, interesting cafes and bars, rooms are nice with washing machines! Since you are right on the harbour you can walk down to the Devonport Ferry which is well worth the visit as is Talingtons Penguin Exhibit...free tourist bus around the city too.

If I had a few days to spare I would take the tour to the Waitomo Caves to see the glow worms it will take all day but fantastic.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

In December, as well as Parnell, we also stayed at waterfront, fully self contained, Takapuna Oaks Hotel, Bayswater, which provided free ferry tickets into the CBD.

http://www.aucklandtakapunaoaks.co.nz/

It was handy to have a car here, but the hotel did provide free shuttles into Takapuna and Devonport.

Archived