Based in the UK, book in the US

kruzgal

There has been much discussion recently, both on this board and on Celebrity, about UK residents being 'ripped off' when booking cruise holidays - paying higher prices and, in the case of Celebrity, not being offered the same incentives to book. I know you are not allowed to recommend US travel agents but can anyone give any hints or tips on researching a good US travel agent that is able and happy to take bookings from residents of the UK? I am sure that there are lots of people like me, thinking it is time to have a go booking in the US, but unsure where to start. Just looking for some general advice/experiences from UK guests. Thanks :)

The problem is if you book through a US travel agent, you will most likely not be covered by ABTA and ATOL, which provide financial protection to each booking. For example, if you booked through *Inserts UK agency here* and then for some reason you had to cancel due to factors outside of your control you would be covered. If you booked through a US travel agent, you may not necessarily be covered and your money may not be protected, in addition - your travel insurance may be void.

Many cruise lines, hotels etc. target specific countries and regions with special offers. Sadly it is just how the travel industry has evolved.

The problem is if you book through a US travel agent, you will most likely not be covered by ABTA and ATOL, which provide financial protection to each booking. For example, if you booked through *Inserts UK agency here* and then for some reason you had to cancel due to factors outside of your control you would be covered. If you booked through a US travel agent, you may not necessarily be covered and your money may not be protected, in addition - your travel insurance may be void.

Many cruise lines, hotels etc. target specific countries and regions with special offers. Sadly it is just how the travel industry has evolved.

ABTA and ATOL are not to cover situations when the customer cancels - that's what travel insurance is for. They are schemes to protect consumers when the agent or tour operator is in difficulty.

I was previously put in touch with a US TA by someone on a roll call. Recommendations are always the way to go. For the specific cruise I was looking for she turned out dearer.....

I think I know, but I just want to be sure. When you say "dearer", you mean higher priced, right? Love the differences in language use.:)

More dear.... expensive.... tomayto.... tomahto.... ;)

Got it, thanks! Normally, the different idioms are self-explanatory, but that one was a little confusing because "being a dear" is a good thing, but being expensive is not a good thing. Just another one of the many of context sensitive words uses.;)

Its a bit like you saying something is going to happen on 03/02/2013 and I say "what do you mean. That was last week"

I agree. This forum has taught me to represent dates differently because of potential confusion. Now I either spell out the month, or use the 02-MAR form.

Okay, many state you get extra protection when booking in the UK. Well I can understand it matters when booking flights, however what I don't understand is when it's the cruise portion only. Is that what you are saying is the case?

Are you also saying that my travel insurance would not cover me for booking through an American site? If I have adequate travel insurance for my trip, then why would they not pay out if I was covered (and obviously had the correct paperwork etc) and could prove the amounts I had paid. Does this not apply to any holiday you may book on line and what about if you pay with a credit card, are you still not covered under their insurance? I thought ATOL and ABTA were cover for when the TA company went out of business (of which there have been many British companies in the recent economic climate) :confused:?

Additionally, in the US, do they not refund deposits should you need to cancel before final payment date? Again, over here you would automatically lose that deposit or have to pay an extra fee if you wanted to transfer it to another cruise.

Would welcome clarification as I'm genuinely confused by what's been stated on all the different threads regarding this subject :).

Okay, many state you get extra protection when booking in the UK. Well I can understand it matters when booking flights, however what I don't understand is when it's the cruise portion only. Is that what you are saying is the case?

Are you also saying that my travel insurance would not cover me for booking through an American site? If I have adequate travel insurance for my trip, then why would they not pay out if I was covered (and obviously had the correct paperwork etc) and could prove the amounts I had paid. Does this not apply to any holiday you may book on line and what about if you pay with a credit card, are you still not covered under their insurance? I thought ATOL and ABTA were cover for when the TA company went out of business (of which there have been many British companies in the recent economic climate) :confused:?

Additionally, in the US, do they not refund deposits should you need to cancel before final payment date? Again, over here you would automatically lose that deposit or have to pay an extra fee if you wanted to transfer it to another cruise.

Would welcome clarification as I'm genuinely confused by what's been stated on all the different threads regarding this subject :).

In terms of travel insurance, it really depends whom you decide to go with. Most will cover you, but I have heard of stories where this has not been the case.

And yes, ABTA and ATOL do provide financial protection to the travel agent/tour operator if they do go out of business, however if you were to book through a US agency (most likely not to be ABTA-credited since they are not British), then you may not be protected financially.

You're right about the deposits, however not all the cruise lines will refund the deposit, it varies by when you book etc.

There has been much discussion recently, both on this board and on Celebrity, about UK residents being 'ripped off' when booking cruise holidays - paying higher prices and, in the case of Celebrity, not being offered the same incentives to book. I know you are not allowed to recommend US travel agents but can anyone give any hints or tips on researching a good US travel agent that is able and happy to take bookings from residents of the UK? I am sure that there are lots of people like me, thinking it is time to have a go booking in the US, but unsure where to start. Just looking for some general advice/experiences from UK guests. Thanks :)

I've nearly always used a US travel agent. Wish I could say who :-(

Sorry !

Archived