Dock in Vienna to Schonbrunn Palace

littleanimal

Cruise boats berth near road bridge. Walk to this bridge up the stairs onto the pedestrian footpath, turn to the LEFT . When you come to Metro station (approx 5 mins) go downstairs and catch Metro to Schonnbrun . Allow 1/2 day minimum at Schonnbrun, it is huge and lots of walking . Lovely gardens at the rear not to be missed .

Also worth visiting in Vienna - The Lippenzaner Riding School, The Golden Hall of the Muzikverein (where the New Days Concert from Vienna is broadcast from on 01/01 each year, and home of the World Famous Vienna Philharmoniker Orchestra.) The 70 acre Prater Park with its famous Ferris Wheel as seen in the film The Third Man. Optional Concert at night most cruise boats offer - Mozart / Strauss Concert at Hoffburg Palace is brilliant .

I will be cruisng to Vienna with AMA. Does anyone have any idea how far and how long will it take from the dock to Schonbrunn Palace by pulice transportation (i.e. metro)?

I am surprised that AMA doesn't offer it as an optional tour. It was an option on Uniworld when we did Budapest to Amsterdam in 2008.

However you get there, it is amazing. We had been in Paris right before this trip and it made Versailles look like a dump. You will love it.

Cool Cruiser,

We will be in Vienna the end of October with AMA. Where did your boat dock? AMA told me that they dock in Nussdorf and not downtown. If so,

did they have shuttle buses taking you back and forth after the tour. How easy is it to get to the metro from Nussdorf?

We did dock in Nussdorf and a bus took us to town for the morning walking tour and they did have shuttle buses running from downtown back to the ship for people wanting to stay in town or to head back to town after lunch. I went on the morning tour, came back and had lunch, went to Schonnbrun Palace, came back and had a fast shower and dressed up for the early dinner before getting on a bus again to go to the wonderful concert at the palace in town, then we drove around the ring for the tour of the lights in Vienna. It was an amazing day and there is no way anyone could do it all and take public transportation. You really don't want to miss the evening concert, everyone that went loved it and they even gave us a cd.

Archived