Question to the Boston experts

DON M.

Our cruise in June on RCL stops in Boston for one day. We have visited Boston before, and for this day would like to see Lexington and Concord. What would be the best way to get there from the cruise port? Thanks.

Best way to get there is if your ship has an excursion to those towns (many ships do). Otherwise, either rent a car, or find a private bus tour to Lexington and Concord, they should be fairly easy to find

Would public transportation be a viable option? I really want to just get to Lexington and then do the hop-on-off trolley they have. I try and stay away from ship tours whenever possible.

I agree with nightmare. To take public transportation, you first have to get to North Station to catch the commuter rail to Concord Depot. When you get off, it is a 1.5 mile walk to the North Bridge (west end of Minuteman National Park). So I think that the train ride, walking, waiting for trains, etc. would take up a lot of your time.

I personally think that you would maximize your sightseeing time if you took the ship's tour or another tour company bus directly to Lexington and Concord.

There is some good information at http://www.nps.gov/mima

P.S. To me, the best part of the area is walking along the Battle Road (no cars). There are interpretive signs along the way that explain where certain events took place. There is also a good multi-media presentation at the NPS visitors' center.

• 2 months later...
Would public transportation be a viable option? I really want to just get to Lexington and then do the hop-on-off trolley they have. I try and stay away from ship tours whenever possible.

Nope, not a viable option at all. rent a car - if you are brave, or do a ship tour.

• 3 weeks later...

depending on when you're to dock here in Boston. I would be really hesitant to rent a car and do an excursion because the traffic can be horrendous. With the cruise ship excursion, it may not be your ideal trip, but you'd be guaranteed to be back onboard before heading to your next destination.

Check out http://www.bostontours.us

They run a 3 1/2 hour trip that includes Cambridge, Concord, Lexington. They have a pick-up listed at 8:25 am at the Seaport Hotel, which is a 5 minute walk from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. It looks like the actual tour then starts around 9:30 which would get you back around 1 ish.

$75 for two people would be cheaper than renting a car for the day.

These are the folks that run the red Beantown trolleys, which also do tours of Boston, and usually are parked right at the dock waiting for the cruise ships to come in. Believe me, I know, because I work in that area and we have to guard our parking spaces with vigor!!! So check and see -- maybe they even pick up at the dock. Good luck!

Madeline815

• 1 month later...

I was looking at this as it includes the beantown trolley...BUT you have to first use your card at their office (Greyhound) so you have to get there to start the tour...not good business....any hints on the best things to see. I have a couple of days

We are doing the Canada/NewEngland 7 day cruise, B2B on Crown. So we will be able to enjoy Boston twice. Any "must do" suggestions, and any ideas where the ship docks??? Would the beantown trolley be close by?

• 2 weeks later...

BabySis: we did the Mt. Washington Railway cog train 2 years ago. The train chugs up the mountain and stops for about 30 minutes at the top. On top, there is a restaurant and a small museum. And, some snow too! We were there in early Oct. It was cold and windy. The scenery beautiful.

One thing that I did not like, was the thick black smoke that came into the train cars! But, the tour was interesting.

Boston is a great walking town, so you really don't have to spend a lot money to see a lot. The Freedom Trail is always good, and Quincy Market is always a great place to stop for any type of food you want.

I love Boston, I have been to a lot of different cities in my life, but Boston is still the best!

Go Sox!

Archived