What is the best NYC one-day tours?

azcruizin

We will be in New York City for 2-nights but basically just one day pre-cruise in October 2009. Can someone suggest a good NYC one-day tour? I think we would like to do a guided tour but may also consider doing a Hop-On-Hop-Off tour. Your experience would be appreciated.

There are lots of threads on this site with the same type of question, but it's always good to see what might pop up that's different.

We are leaning toward doing a HOHO only because we want to have a taste of the "Apple" and be able to spend time in a couple of areas of interest since we only have one day as well.

• 2 weeks later...

As it was already said, there is a LOT in other posts about this topic, but speaking as a local New Yorker, the HOHO buses seem a waste of money to me. New York city has extensive public bus transportation and some of the lines (like the M1, M5, etc) run the entire lenght of the Manhattan Island. A one day, all-inclusive ticket is $7 and that includes all local buses and subway and you can get on and off whenever you want. (www.mta.info)

Another thing is: you really should consider walking, as that is the best way to explore the city, even for only 1 day.

Last tip: don't waste too much time at Times Square: there is so much more to New York.

Hope this was helpful.

I love the HOHO buses. I've been on them about 4-5 times (all the loops) and the guides are - for the most part - knowledgeable and funny. I like to be entertained and have someone tell me what I'm seeing.

We love the subways too - but can't see much of the city from DOWN there!

NYC is incredible!

It seems that getting on the HOHO and with a plan to get off at a few stops of interest might work best. If you are in to buildings, then spending time in Soho or the Brownstone area might be good and then a little time near the ESB or Chrysler and of course, a side boat trip to the "Lady".

We will be on the Triumph in October and plan to stay in New York two nights after the cruise. On Saturday after we get off the ship, we will probably do the hop on hop off bus and try to see as much as possible. I also noticed that Greyline has day tours but they run in the $50.00 price area. How much is the HOHO? On Sunday, we will probably get up and walk over to the theatre ticket booth in Time Square and get tickets for a show the same day and then go out to dinner that night. We were thinking about a carriage ride in Central Park and then dinner at Tavern on the Green. I really wanted to see Billy Elliott but the tickets are so expensive I will wait til it comes to LA so other members of my family can see it with me.

We had a one day visit to NYC last year. We did the double decker bus tour that we picked up around Times Square and than did the Harbor Tour of the Hudson and the East River. It gave us a nice perspective of the city and desire to see more on the next visit.

We will be on the Triumph in October and plan to stay in New York two nights after the cruise. On Saturday after we get off the ship, we will probably do the hop on hop off bus and try to see as much as possible. I also noticed that Greyline has day tours but they run in the $50.00 price area. How much is the HOHO? On Sunday, we will probably get up and walk over to the theatre ticket booth in Time Square and get tickets for a show the same day and then go out to dinner that night. We were thinking about a carriage ride in Central Park and then dinner at Tavern on the Green. I really wanted to see Billy Elliott but the tickets are so expensive I will wait til it comes to LA so other members of my family can see it with me.

We were in NYC a couple weeks ago and bought tickets at TKTS for the matinee on Sunday afternoon. The booth in Times Square opens at 11:00 a.m. If you decide to do this, try to be there by at least 10:00. We weren't able to make it until 11:00, and by then there was a very long line. We knew all the best musicals/seats would be sold out by the time we got to the front of the line, so we switched to the separate "plays only" line and got great seats for "Mary Stuart", which was excellent. You can go to the TKTS website a few days before to see what was offered for sale the previous week; that helps you have an idea of what you might like to see. Obviously, Billy Elliott probably won't be available. Good luck!

if you don't want to waste vacation time standing in line, you can buy discount tickets ahead of time through broadwaybox dot com or theatremania.

Also Staten Island Ferry is free and has great views of the Statue of Liberty!

Has anyone used: onboardnewyorktours.com. I found on a link and it looks good. You have a driver that acts as tour guide and is a one day tour. Like to hear if anyone used them.Will be staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station and was told could take the PATH train in, about 20 minutes. Thanks, m

We are looking into the same thing. We're trying to decide between OnBoard and the Grayline HOHO. Thought HOHO sounded like a great idea until I read some negative things about them - lines to board back on the bus, having to wait for the next bus because it's full, buses not showing up, etc. Since we only have 1 day I'd hate to spend it standing around waiting. But I do like the idea of getting off when we see something we like and spending some time in certain areas (i.e. WTC).

We are looking into the same thing. We're trying to decide between OnBoard and the Grayline HOHO. Thought HOHO sounded like a great idea until I read some negative things about them - lines to board back on the bus, having to wait for the next bus because it's full, buses not showing up, etc. Since we only have 1 day I'd hate to spend it standing around waiting. But I do like the idea of getting off when we see something we like and spending some time in certain areas (i.e. WTC).

How far in advance would you suggest booking a bus tour. We are leaving for our cruise on Oct. 10th and arriving at 5:00 the day before. We were going to check out the flyers etc. in the hotel and try and book something for the following Saturday when we get off the ship. Will that be enough time?

dmckc - Please look into the ways to get from Newark Penn Station to NY - www.panynj.gov and www.njtransit.com. Path is $1.75 and NJ Transit is $4 (unless you are a senior citizen). The Path ride on a weekend is about 45 minutes to 33rd St - you go to Journal Square and transfer to the 33rd St. train which goes via Hoboken on the weekend. Then you have to get from 33rd St. to the start of your tour. Path from Newark to the WTC is scheduled at 22 minutes. NJ Transit runs less frequently and is scheduled at anywhere from 18 to 28 minutes from Newark to New York. If you book a tour that leaves at a specific time, you will have to allow at least an hour to get there depending on the way you go. You will need time to figure out the automatic ticket machines for Path or NJTransit and the NY subway. From Penn Station you would take either the 7th Avenue subway(#1) to 50th St. or the 8th Avenue subway(C or E) to 50th St. and walk over to 7th. Either way you have to walk from 8th to 7th. From 33rd St. you would take the N,R,W to 49th & 7th. All these would be the uptown direction.

dmckc - Please look into the ways to get from Newark Penn Station to NY - www.panynj.gov and www.njtransit.com. Path is $1.75 and NJ Transit is $4 (unless you are a senior citizen). The Path ride on a weekend is about 45 minutes to 33rd St - you go to Journal Square and transfer to the 33rd St. train which goes via Hoboken on the weekend. Then you have to get from 33rd St. to the start of your tour. Path from Newark to the WTC is scheduled at 22 minutes. NJ Transit runs less frequently and is scheduled at anywhere from 18 to 28 minutes from Newark to New York. If you book a tour that leaves at a specific time, you will have to allow at least an hour to get there depending on the way you go. You will need time to figure out the automatic ticket machines for Path or NJTransit and the NY subway. From Penn Station you would take either the 7th Avenue subway(#1) to 50th St. or the 8th Avenue subway(C or E) to 50th St. and walk over to 7th. Either way you have to walk from 8th to 7th. From 33rd St. you would take the N,R,W to 49th & 7th. All these would be the uptown direction.

Wow, I am getting confused. THe onboardtours would leave at 10:30am on a Thursday. from Times Aquare. Again we are staying at Hitlon Penn Station and was told it is two blocks to the Path station. I talked with the onboardtour agent and he told me it was two stops and 22 minutes. I have been on the path website and still get confused. Not a big transit travelers, but figure if I can do BART in SF bay area, should be able to do this. Ijust do not want to purchase tickets for the tour and then have troulbe getting there, and also have to get back to hotel-tours ends around 3:30 or so. Should the hotel be able to guide us as well. Any more suggestions would be helpful. Our TA is not familiar with this tour and suggests the HOHO. Thank you for your help. M

We are arriving in NYC the night before our cruise so only have a morning to see EVERYTHING! It will be a Saturday and I was wondering if it's worthwhile purchasing the 'express' tickets for the Empire State Building - has anyone visited early enough to 'cruise' through the entry process with regular tickets?

Archived