Excuse Me ! Jewel under tow

shoreguy

Just wanted to post on this site that performs perfectly that I read the Jewel left st petersburg the ship seems to have lost power what I read then the captain anounced that the port azipod has broken and they are now proceding by tug power at 3 knots next .

I will post my blogs if the my cruies sails Sunday and waste 100s of minutes

So much for the theory someone put forth here recently that you should only sail "newer" ships to be sure to avoid engine problems. ::rolleyes::

But maybe it proves the other theory - that you should not sail any ship until it is about 6 months old and they have worked the 'bugs' out.:D

Seems like there is a theory for every situation.

But maybe it proves the other theory - that you should not sail any ship until it is about 6 months old and they have worked the 'bugs' out.:D

That "other theory" didn't apply to Dawn which had her azipod problems two years after she went into service. The problem appears to be the azipods which have had problems on many ships of different cruise lines.

Shoreguy,

I am nervous!!, Will they be able to fix the problem in time for our cruise??

Granitegirl

Looks like we will be hitting the bars in Dover instead :eek: If they fix it in time how we all going to enjoy a large one in the star bar :p I would normall be stress out my now but somehow in my water everythink will be ok;)

Knock on wood, it seems the only new ship with apizods that hasn't had problems with them yet is the Pride of America... and she is only a couple of months older than the Jewel.

It does appear that after reaching a port most of the apizod problems are fixed rather quickly... and they don't break down again soon.... Maybe there is a silver lining in the clouds...

hey people,

we are live from the ship, early this morning 7am gmt the captain anounced that

the azipod has been fixed! however we have been help into port by tugs from

finland (which would have surely needed a phone call) 5 hours late (if all is well)

we should be sailing at 3 hours late.

cheers loopythecat:)

hey people,

we are live from the ship, early this morning 7am gmt the captain anounced that

the azipod has been fixed! however we have been help into port by tugs from

finland (which would have surely needed a phone call) 5 hours late (if all is well)

we should be sailing at 3 hours late.

cheers loopythecat:)

The key word is sailing!!! Good luck! Leave the ship in good order for us. We will be sailing on Sept 4th.

Better now than it happening in the middle of the ATLANTIC:eek:

My thoughts exactly :D Now let's hope in fact it is fixed and they don't decide to put the ship in drydock in Hamburg one last time before they bring it across the pond.

My thoughts exactly :D Now let's hope in fact it is fixed and they don't decide to put the ship in drydock in Hamburg one last time before they bring it across the pond.

I fully agree to that... Let's wait and see when she leaves Tallinn harbor in Estonia tonight at 6 pm. I have found a webcam for Tallinn but cannot identify the Jewel. http://www.123cam.com/site.php?var=1123&site=http://www.ts.ee/port_info/webcam.shtml

Hopefully some guests currently at the ship can give us an update when she is back en route.

I hope for all of you trans-atlantic people on the Jewel is able to make it in time with all azipod problems resolved.

Having just gotten off the Jewel last week I can tell you that the Captain can really "put the pedal to the metal" so to speak on that ship. When we left Almeria Spain we had two sea days to get back to Dover which was a distance that was futher to sail in two days than on the beginning of the cruise. We also faced rough seas in the Atlantic with a 48 knot headwind across the ship. According to the information we read about the Jewel, her maximum speed is 26.5. My husband and I watched the report from the bridge on the television in our cabin and the Jewel was up to 28.5 knots. We were there berthed in Dover on time.

I know that there are airline pilots that make up time in the air when flights are delayed. I am starting to believe that same of sea captains and cruise ships.

My fingers are crossed for you. The Jewel is a magnificant ship.

Marilyn

We cruise on the Jewel on April 30th, 2006; they should have the "bugs" out by then!

By the way, what is a azipod?

Larry

Larry

They are the electic motors that handg below the ship and drive the propellers.

podazipod.jpg

Shoreguy,

Isn't this the same part that we had a problem with on the Dawn, back in February?

Hope you have a great time.

Can't wait to view all of your pictures when you return.

Enjoy!!!

Archived