LIVE from Liberty of the Seas May 16 - 19: Ask Us YOUR Questions!

Cruise Critic's Senior Contributor Steve Faber just arrived in Miami (and we mean that literally -- we just got off the phone with him and he just got off the plane!); he'll be aboard Liberty for the next three days and attending its long-awaited christening ceremony on May 18.

Got a question for Steve about the ship? Start posting! After he boards the ship this evening, he'll be posting answers and "blogging" his first impressions right here -- and will continue to do so through Saturday. Although Steve is unable to answer questions about specific cabins, pretty much everything else is fair game (let's hope he tries out the FlowRider AND sends photographs).

Steve, I'll get the ball rolling: I heard that the antipasto displays in Sorrento's were moved to the back of the pizzeria to make way for a storefront bar. Please tell me whether the delicious mozzarella and olives I snacked on every afternoon on Freedom are still there!

Happy cruising,

Melissa

Hi!

I have a few questions:

1. We sailed Freedom last year and LOVED it. I'm interested to know what's different or improved on Liberty.

2. We were on last year's member cruise and there were lots of classes (art projects sponsored by Crayola, cooking demonstrations with recipe cards, etc.) have those been added to regular itinerary?

3. How is the motion at the very front of the ship? Our cabin windows face front and I'm concerned about feeling too much motion or vibration up there.

4. Heard they considered adding a photography studio so families could make appointments for formal portraits instead of waiting on lines and then being surrounded by crowds -- did they in fact do that?

5. There were only two open skating sessions for the kids to ice skate on Freedom -- will Liberty have more time available?

Have a great time on your trip!!

Wish we were there!!

Thanks!

Cruise Critic's Senior Contributor Steve Faber just arrived in Miami (and we mean that literally -- we just got off the phone with him and he just got off the plane!); he'll be aboard Liberty for the next three days and attending its long-awaited christening ceremony on May 19.

Got a question for Steve about the ship? Start posting! After he boards the ship this evening, he'll be posting answers and "blogging" his first impressions right here -- and will continue to do so through Saturday. Although Steve is unable to answer questions about specific cabins, pretty much everything else is fair game (let's hope he tries out the FlowRider AND sends photographs).

Steve, I'll get the ball rolling: I heard that the antipasto displays in Sorrento's were moved to the back of the pizzeria to make way for a storefront bar. Please tell me whether the delicious mozzarella and olives I snacked on every afternoon on Freedom are still there!

Happy cruising,

Melissa

I thought the naming ceramony was the 18th! I am on the inaugural on the 19th.

I am trying to find out what theme nights are the dining room. I know Sunday and Wednesday are formal. What else?

Thanks

Oops on my part, you must be right -- Steve disembarks on the 19th. I'm sure Steve will share all of the nitty gritty details shortly....

I am trying to find out what theme nights are the dining room. I know Sunday and Wednesday are formal. What else?

Thanks

• Administrators

Thanks

Ohhh, Mary you are SO good. I've fixed it, thanks!

Laura

• Administrators
This one is from my 7 year old daughter who is a big "Henry" fan...

What color are the "Henries" on the Liberty? On the Mariner they were blue.:)

On my 'stateroom" tour on all decks all I saw were "blue" Henries everywhere....

Laura

• Administrators
What are the differances between Freedom and Liberty?

Who is the Captain, CD, Hotel Director and maitr'd?

What is the colour theme of the staterooms?

Hey Wendy:

Let's see what I noticed. Sorrento's Pizza has had the "front window" display removed, and in its place is a new open bar area. I felt that Sorrento's was a bit more spacious, although that could have been an illusion. Relax, though, they still serve the antipasti, it is just displayed inside now.

The book nook (formerly next to the Cafe), is no longer. In its place you will find the future booking desks.

The art work theme is different as well. The theme is Illusion vs. Reality (or something like that -- someone will correct me). Much of the art work is very different than you'd expect. For example, behind Guest Services there are five flat panel, everchanging screens displaying artwork. And another large piece in the atrium area "reflects" what is happening on the Royal Promenade. There will be a booklet in your stateroom cataloging the art on board.

The Capt. is Hernan Zini -- and if you ask me very distinquished and handsome . Got a great pic, I'll try and post (but have to see if the others in the shot say its ok).

Cruise Director is none other than: Ken Rush. I enjoy Ken.

Sorry, cannot help re: hotel director and Matri'd.

The colorscheme in regular cabins was the tea greenl/peachy tones. I think you'll recognize it.

You can peek at my pics here: http://travel.webshots.com/album/558986120xJWwhw

• Administrators
Is there a special meaning for the penguins outside the fitness center windows?

I'd like to know that as well...they are REALLY quite large, almost the size of a human! Steve, rush out there and find out, will ya???

Laura

PS: To Steve: miss ya! :)

Hi:

The home port of the Adventure of the Seas has been Puerto Rico since a couple of years going out every Sunday.

Royal Caribbean is making a lot of new and bigger ships that this one. I would like to know if one of this ships is replacing the Adventure of the Seas so we can have a newer and bigger ship sailing from here. We have the Freedom of the Seas visiting every 2 weeks and it is terrific.

Hey Wendy:

Let's see what I noticed. Sorrento's Pizza has had the "front window" display removed, and in its place is a new open bar area. I felt that Sorrento's was a bit more spacious, although that could have been an illusion. Relax, though, they still serve the antipasti, it is just displayed inside now.

The book nook (formerly next to the Cafe), is no longer. In its place you will find the future booking desks.

The art work theme is different as well. The theme is Illusion vs. Reality (or something like that -- someone will correct me). Much of the art work is very different than you'd expect. For example, behind Guest Services there are five flat panel, everchanging screens displaying artwork. And another large piece in the atrium area "reflects" what is happening on the Royal Promenade. There will be a booklet in your stateroom cataloging the art on board.

The Capt. is Hernan Zini -- and if you ask me very distinquished and handsome <G>. Got a great pic, I'll try and post (but have to see if the others in the shot say its ok).

Cruise Director is none other than: Ken Rush. I enjoy Ken.

Sorry, cannot help re: hotel director and Matri'd.

The colorscheme in regular cabins was the tea greenl/peachy tones. I think you'll recognize it.

You can peek at my pics here: http://travel.webshots.com/album/558986120xJWwhw

First-Hello Melissa...sat next to you at the CC meeting on the Freedom Of The Seas last Thanksgiving,do you remember? LaurasS-Ken Rush may be the CD now,but supposedly Becky Thompson from the Mariner will come over in June to take over-we love Becky..can you verify that with Ken,and then where will Ken go? Thanks-will be on the Liberty Nov.10!!

Big Al

Hi Melissa and Cruise Critic Readers. Just was able to get online due to Internet being down on Liberty, but here's my first report. Well, Royal Caribbean has made a big deal of equating themselves with adventure travel – and not without justification – they’ve really put their stamp on “getting out there” and trying new and adventurous experiences onboard and ashore.

But getting onboard turned out to be more of an adventure than I’d bargained for. Though I normally book my own air whenever possible, RCI provided a flight that was scheduled to arrive in Miami at 2:55 p.m., with embarkation closing at 4:00 p.m., a whole lot tighter than I would have elected. Then, with the flight arriving about 15 minutes late, and rush hour traffic in full force around Miami International Airport, my taxi driver had plenty of fuel for his doom saying predictions that I would never make the ship in time.

I got onboard just in time to throw on a life jacket and put in an appearance at the boat drill, thence back to my oceanview balcony stateroom to unpack. I wish I had more complete first impressions to share with you in this initial blog, but there will be lots more coming over the next 48 hours.

The one thing I can tell you right off the bat is that my expectations that navigating around a ship this much larger than anything heretofore in the fleet would be appreciably more difficult were not realized. This, to me, feels like any 100+ GRT megaliner; no more or less difficult or “large-feeling.”

If you are reading this please post any questions you would like me to answer, and I’ll post back as soon as possible. I plan to give some expanded attention to the super-large accommodations, including the 14-guest “Presidential Suites,” not only as they apply to Liberty’s sailings, but because with next year’s launch of Independence of the Seas, this size vessel makes its entry into the European market, and economical, family-sized staterooms certainly will make sense for cruising families that aim to explore Europe in as affordable manner as possible.

Oh, and by the way, the antipasti you are asking about are still available...I see people walking up and down the Royal Promenade with plates of 'em, but I'll have to go on a quest to find out exactly where they are...stay tuned!

Was Ken Rush the Cruise Director on Freedom last year?

Is the Flowrider working on Liberty? Last year on the second sailing of Freedom the Flowrider was not working most of the time.

Thanks,

Patti

Hi Steve, My wife and I will be taking our first ever cruise on Liberty this Saturday. We don't really know what to expect but have alot of questions. My wife would like to know if they provide irons on the ship? Thank you in advance...and tell us lots about our ship. Thank you.

Was Ken Rush the Cruise Director on Freedom last year?

Is the Flowrider working on Liberty? Last year on the second sailing of Freedom the Flowrider was not working most of the time.

Thanks,

Patti

Ken Rush was the CD for the inaugural and early weeks of Freedom.

Flowrider is working fine on Liberty...

Archived