How do you book?

Do you prefer to book online with carnival, or on the phone with a pvp, or thru a travel agent? Just trying to get an idea.

My past three cruises were booked over the phone with a carnival PVP, just whoever answered the phone when I called. But is there advantages with that or is it the same as booking online?

By phone with PVP...because we like to select our cabin and not all available cabins show up online. Also easier if we are booking more than one cabin.

I will agree with this. I didn't quite understand the pricing structures being new to Carnival. And since I was not already a customer I didn't yet have an assigned PVP. So I just called the main phone number to speak with a call center employee. Also because there were limited cabins in the category I wanted online, I asked what was available that the call center had. She had a totally different list than what was shown online.

I book on the phone with my PVP. I have a good relationship with him and he's always helpful with other questions besides booking. When he's going to be out of the office he always leaves an extension for another PVP who is equally helpful. I like the service so I book with him.

I like to call my PVP when we book our cruise. I like knowing that if I have any questions or concerns, she can help me out right away. I just hope and pray the Carnival's cutbacks don't extend to doing away with PVP's, and that Carnival starts outsourcing their bookings to some answering service in India.:eek:

Have booked seven cruises with a TA. Tried a PVP once and it was a hassle. Couldn't get it through to her that we wanted specific cabins. She kept trying to sell us a guarantee. We wanted to book seven cabins in a row. She said I would have to put the downpayment on all seven cabins.

Called our TA. She set it up with no problems and each couple paid the downpayment to her.

With a TA who finds us best flights, hotels, cruises, and even what to do in the ports. My life is way to complicated to worry about that stuff, I want my vacations to be relaxing from conception to conclusion. Oh, by the way, my TAs prices are always less than the best on the booking sites (though I don't do last minute bookings) we always get the dining time we want, our flights are always the most direct as well as being competitively priced, and I've never said "you've got to be kidding me" when we drive up to a hotel. She also KNOWS ground transportation and how best to get from airports to hotels to embarkation ports. And she is always just an email away if we find ourselves out of sink during debarkation and she reschedules us.

I learned a long time ago that you could spend a fortune to save a dime, or sit around airports and hotels for countless hours cause you were trying to save a few dollars and ended up spending those on meals and magazines and drinks to kill the time.

Yeh, TAs, long may they live.

I go with a travel agent, she does all the work. Everytime a price drops I just email her and she does all the work. I can drop in and see her at her office anytime I am at Walmart (which is alot).

First cruise with a Big Online TA- it was basically like just booking direct with Carnival as they did nothing extra. I have no complaints, but I know that I could have done it myself and probably saved a service fee.

Second and Third Cruises- through the 1-800 number. Whoever I got on the phone

Most recent- booked online through Carnival.

I did not really notice anything different with any of them. The first cruise was in 2004, so things were not quite as computerized as they are now- atleast to me. I don't know if I could access my booking online or not. They still sent paper documents so I had no need to. Now things are different and I like being able to access everything on line or make my own changes.

I have usually used a large online TA, but I talk to someone to verify best deals and cabins and recent priced sales i have read about. If I do not like who I have I get off the phone and try again..they are usually able to get me the "deal i read about 2 hrs ago but do not see now" and I also like having someone to call and verify things with and get help with along the way for cancellations/problems in route etc. I often do my own transfers and air and hotel bidding etc...sometimes i get tips from them the TA or here... and I can then get airline credit on my cruises with this TA.

I have called Carnival, booked with 2 different TAs and this last cruise online.

Calling Carnival worked for me the first 2 times due to being new to cruising.

The 2 TAs did nothing more then ask me what I was looking for, then booked it. The rates were inline with what Carnival had posted and there was nothing extra, other then the hassle of contacting them for price drops and then I was lucky to reach the actual agent I booked with, most times had who ever answer the phone do it.

I have not gone on the cruise I booked myself online, but so far, the ease of doing it myself, has far outwayed what the TAs did as well as the PVPs.

Our first 3 cruises, we used a TA (the same one). She was fantastic!

The upcoming one in just 27 days, I booked myself online. It was relatively simple, although calling Carnival to change the inside room I'd booked to an oceanview proved to be 'difficult' on their end. I knew what I wanted, the person I spoke to had trouble understanding. Finally, we came to a place of mutual agreement. We are now happily awaiting our oceanview (although now I wish it had been a balcony!). :D

Going forward, I think I'm going to try and find another TA to handle it all for me. The one we'd used in previous years in now in another state. :( Since I want to book another cruise relatively fast after we return, guess I need to start looking for another TA now.

I like using a PVP. That way if I have any questions/concerns I have someone to call. the one I use is very responsive. He called today to see if we needed anything before our cruise next Monday.

How do you go about getting a PVP? I've seen people talking about them, but wasn't sure what they even are. Since I've either gone through a personal TA or more recently booked online myself, I've never really called Carnival. But it might be something worth looking into. :)

How do you go about getting a PVP? I've seen people talking about them, but wasn't sure what they even are. Since I've either gone through a personal TA or more recently booked online myself, I've never really called Carnival. But it might be something worth looking into. :)

You can call the 800 number and ask tat one be assigned to you.

Mine sort of hunted me down. I called the general number to get pricing information, then I called back to the same girl I spoke to the first time about 20 minutes later and booked the cruise we had spoken about.

The next morning I received a call from my PVP wanting to introduce himself, had seen I was interested in Carnival and wanted to help me plan my next vacation cruise. I laughed because he was rather shocked when I told him I had already booked it, obviously his computer screen was not up to date. :D

I have done just about every way. I usually just call and book with the person that answers the phone. I always know exactly what I want and have it all ready. They love me....

I occasionally use a TA that is a friend of mine just to give him some buisness. I will throw him a cruise especially if it is fairly last minute and I am paying everything right then. I figure I might as well give him a commission. I used him for my upcoming Asia cruise because he did a similar one last year (same ports) and I knew he would share a lot of info with me.

I have booked online a couple times as well. It is easy and fast and no biog deal.

Early on I tried to use a PVP, but I hated trying to reach him on his hours, etc. I know many here wiould argue, but I personally do not seethe need for one.

I always, always call Carnival. I, too, know exactly what I want before calling and I let the person know first and foremost that I will more than likely be buying a cruise from them paid in full. It seems to snap them in to shape and REALLY help me getting the cabin I want and so forth.

It is really easy as well. Being a passed cruiser with Carnival they can easily pull up my info and the process is much easier then using the website.

I have never used a TA. I probably would have when I was researching our first cruise but this website made me feel comfortable and answered every question I had.

If Carnival outsourced their call centers to India I would be extremely upset. For those of you that have had to speak to India on something you know exactly what I mean.

I book on the phone with whatever CCL rep answers the phone. I pull up the CCL website, and check everything as we are talking, going over cabin options etc. Her/his price has always been the same as what I see online.

For me, there is no need to have a TA involved unless perhaps you have a complicated iten. and you were booking land vacations before/after your cruise. Other than that, they just complicate it and keep you from being able to make changes to your booking.

I have used a TA for a few land vacations involving a complicated iten and changes in country..but other than that, I'll do it myself and be in charge of my own booking.

but that's just me.

I've seen some online sites that promise OBC and their rates seen to be the same as carnivals website, Does anyone have any experience with these online agencies?

I have clicked those websites and after spending a good deal of time researching it I have always found the the CCL website offers the best deal. Others may have got a better deal but we haven't been able to.

It is kinda funny because tonight my wife checked the military travel website and there is a cruise in Dec out of Gal for $550 per/balcony. I checked CCL to compare and CCL was almost $100 cheaper p/per.

Archived