New To NCL? Help!!!

tekman26

We have booked a cruise on the Pearl for the week of Thanksgiving. This will be the first time we are going to try NCL and was wanting to know what we should expect (i.e. service, things to do with young kids)

We have sailed on RCCL, CCL and Princess in the past and our reason for this trip was the cost. Could not turn down the option to sail with the kids tickets being free (sort of).

Things I am curious about are dining options? Entertainment? Kids Program? And any other incite about NCL?

There's lots of info to soak in! I've never sailed the Pearl, but the kids clubs seem to be similar on each ship. There's lots to do for the kids in their clubs. Not sure how old your kids are, but I have some info in my signature to see the kids club schedules from the Epic. I imagine they're similar.

There are many restaurants - some have a charge, some don't. The main difference is you don't have a set dining time and place. So whenever you're ready for dinner, you decide what time and where you want to go. I found this works great with kids. It's hard to get somewhere at a certain time if you have a cranky kid or they're starving before your time. On a few nights, we fed our kids from the buffet restaurant and then went to a specialty alone while they went to kids club. (my kids were 12 and 5 at sailing). One night we took them to La Cucina (the specialty italian restaurant).

As far as tipping, you will automatically be charged $12/person per day (so on a 7 day is $84 per person). This covers all gratuities for the room steward and ALL of the wait staff - because you don't have the same person all the time, this covers them all. If you choose to add extra in the specialty restaurants, you can add it just as a regular bill in a restaurant - just add if you feel necessary, but you don't have to. The kids crew staff is NOT in that gratuity pool. So if you use them, it's nice to tip them. We found the crew extremely friendly and great with the kids.

Have a great time - I think you'll find a good amount of kids on a Thanksgiving sailing for your kids to pal up with in the clubs.

Have fun Marc!

You'll have a good time, if you enjoyed yourselves on the other lines. Kid's club gets good reviews, food gets good reviews, and entertainment gets good reviews. Bingo not so good reviews. :D

You will have a large choice of dining options, you don't have to stress making an assigned seating at the MDR's specialty dining might require a reservation.

Have FUN!!!

My wife and I have sailed on NCL, and CCL. They are more similar than they are different. NCL has many dining options, but the one thing we like is the "freestyle cruising". No set times for dinner, nor table. NCL has many "specialty" dining options also. Entertainment on board is also very good, but you will get your occasional let down. They have, from what I hear, a very good kids program...can't answer first hand because mine are grown. I truly think you will enjoy your cruise!

Im willing to bet that you become an NCL convert after your cruise, they do the family thing very well. Of the lines you mention , my kids find the NCL kids club to be far and above thier favorite (9 cruises) . They are currently 11 /14. As far as dining , NCL has a wide choice as mentioned above. Entertainment ? ( not my thing).

Have a great time.

There's lots of info to soak in! I've never sailed the Pearl, but the kids clubs seem to be similar on each ship. There's lots to do for the kids in their clubs. Not sure how old your kids are, but I have some info in my signature to see the kids club schedules from the Epic. I imagine they're similar.

There are many restaurants - some have a charge, some don't. The main difference is you don't have a set dining time and place. So whenever you're ready for dinner, you decide what time and where you want to go. I found this works great with kids. It's hard to get somewhere at a certain time if you have a cranky kid or they're starving before your time. On a few nights, we fed our kids from the buffet restaurant and then went to a specialty alone while they went to kids club. (my kids were 12 and 5 at sailing). One night we took them to La Cucina (the specialty italian restaurant).

As far as tipping, you will automatically be charged $12/person per day (so on a 7 day is $84 per person). This covers all gratuities for the room steward and ALL of the wait staff - because you don't have the same person all the time, this covers them all. If you choose to add extra in the specialty restaurants, you can add it just as a regular bill in a restaurant - just add if you feel necessary, but you don't have to. The kids crew staff is NOT in that gratuity pool. So if you use them, it's nice to tip them. We found the crew extremely friendly and great with the kids.

Have a great time - I think you'll find a good amount of kids on a Thanksgiving sailing for your kids to pal up with in the clubs.

Have fun Marc!

Thank you for the great information. My kids at the time we sail will be 5 and 2. Both have sailed many times and for some reason they don't like the kids club. The older one wants to go play but only if we stay with her. The younger DD does what the older DD does. However, I do enjoy spending alot of time with them during the trip.

You'll have a good time, if you enjoyed yourselves on the other lines. Kid's club gets good reviews, food gets good reviews, and entertainment gets good reviews. Bingo not so good reviews. :D

You will have a large choice of dining options, you don't have to stress making an assigned seating at the MDR's specialty dining might require a reservation.

Have FUN!!!

First, great handle name. My last name is Kraut and have been called your nickname for many years. lol. My thinking is there are alot of options in the cruise industry so we are looking to try another brand. Plus the cost was worth this trip.

More interested in knowing more about the restaurants?

The whole NCL experience is really "ala carte." I love it!

Lots of great info here, under the "Freestyle Cruising" section:

http://www2.ncl.com/downloads/docs#freestylecruising Especially see the handy dining guide table that lists the free and the surcharge restaurant choices.

Things that might differ from your other experiences, or people don't realize:

-One MDR is more casual and will allow shorts. One is more formal and will not. I think Indigo is the more casual one on the Pearl. The Food served in each is very, very similar. Menus are posted daily, so you can look at the menus, decide which you'd like to have, and dress accordingly.

-The pool isn't huge. Don't assume you'll get a lounge chair RIGHT NEXT to the pool. However, there are multiple sundecks and many will give you a quieter experience.

-There is a "kids pool" area, but the main pool is used by both kids and adults. Use of an adults only pool isn't an option on NCL unless you pay for a "spa pass" which is about $100/pp for a week. It gives you access to an indoor adults only pool area with a pool, hot tub, soaking pool, steam showers, nice lounge chairs with a great view, and a locker room. It does not include any spa treatments.

-The only alcohol you can carry on is wine, and I believe it's a 2 bottle limit, and you'll declare it and pay a corkage charge of $15/bottle at check in. You can bring it to the dining rooms if you wish to have with your meals, or drink it in your room.

-Towel animals are not a given. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. If you or your kids really want them, mention how much you like them to your steward.

-The buffet is quite good, but your options are limited in the afternoon between about 2-4:30 in there. You can make your own salad, sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs, along with some cookies and chips. If you want something better in the afternoon, head to The Blue Lagoon casual restaurant (it's free) for nicer options. It's open almost 24 hours, so also good for a late night snack. People rave about their chicken wings. I think they are ok, but lots of people really, really love them. It's also a nice spot for breakfast. Fewer options than the MDR or buffet, but not crowded and you can get omelets, french toast, etc. You can also get room service 24 hours/day, but it's limited for breakfast (cereals, pastries) unless you are in a suite.

-There is a reservations desk where you can view all the specialty restaurant menus and make your reservations at any time. Teppenyaki seems to be the only one people really have trouble with getting their desired prime reservation times.

-Freestyle dining means "first come, first served." But you can request reservations for large parties. If it's just a small group (2-6 people), you may have to wait 5-30 minutes for a table during some peak dining times. They'll give you a pager. There are some digital signs on the staircases indicating wait times at various restaurants that are helpful in selecting where and when you should dine.

-One MDR is open for lunch during embarkation. I believe it closes at 2 or 2:30, though.

-Join your Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, as the NCL officers are GREAT about attending if possible. Nice chance to ask questions of the Captain and his officers.

http://www2.ncl.com/downloads/docs#freestylecruising Especially see the handy dining guide table that lists the free and the surcharge restaurant choices.

-One MDR is more casual and will allow shorts. One is more formal and will not. I think Indigo is the more casual one on the Pearl. The Food served in each is very, very similar. Menus are posted daily, so you can look at the menus, decide which you'd like to have, and dress accordingly.

-The pool isn't huge. Don't assume you'll get a lounge chair RIGHT NEXT to the pool. However, there are multiple sundecks and many will give you a quieter experience.

-There is a "kids pool" area, but the main pool is used by both kids and adults. Use of an adults only pool isn't an option on NCL unless you pay for a "spa pass" which is about $100/pp for a week. It gives you access to an indoor adults only pool area with a pool, hot tub, soaking pool, steam showers, nice lounge chairs with a great view, and a locker room. It does not include any spa treatments.

-The only alcohol you can carry on is wine, and I believe it's a 2 bottle limit, and you'll declare it and pay a corkage charge of $15/bottle at check in. You can bring it to the dining rooms if you wish to have with your meals, or drink it in your room.

-Towel animals are not a given. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. If you or your kids really want them, mention how much you like them to your steward.

-The buffet is quite good, but your options are limited in the afternoon between about 2-4:30 in there. You can make your own salad, sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs, along with some cookies and chips. If you want something better in the afternoon, head to The Blue Lagoon casual restaurant (it's free) for nicer options. It's open almost 24 hours, so also good for a late night snack. People rave about their chicken wings. I think they are ok, but lots of people really, really love them. It's also a nice spot for breakfast. Fewer options than the MDR or buffet, but not crowded and you can get omelets, french toast, etc. You can also get room service 24 hours/day, but it's limited for breakfast (cereals, pastries) unless you are in a suite.

-There is a reservations desk where you can view all the specialty restaurant menus and make your reservations at any time. Teppenyaki seems to be the only one people really have trouble with getting their desired prime reservation times.

-Freestyle dining means "first come, first served." But you can request reservations for large parties. If it's just a small group (2-6 people), you may have to wait 5-30 minutes for a table during some peak dining times. They'll give you a pager. There are some digital signs on the staircases indicating wait times at various restaurants that are helpful in selecting where and when you should dine.

-One MDR is open for lunch during embarkation. I believe it closes at 2 or 2:30, though.

-Join your Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, as the NCL officers are GREAT about attending if possible. Nice chance to ask questions of the Captain and his officers.

Thank you for all of the great infomation about NCL. Think we are looking forward to trying out the freestyle dining with the young kids. I know when we are in the MDR on the other ships, the kids seem to get tired and cranky alot quicker. This would and will be a good change I hope.

Do you know when is the major rush for the MDR?

In my experience, the biggest rush to the MDRs is between 6:30 and 7:30 (7PM being about the "height" of "rush hour".

For some reason there also seems to be a crowd waiting when the dining rooms open (5:30) - but everyone who is in such a hurry to eat usually gets seated pretty fast. My recommendation to avoid rush hour with small kids, go between 5:45 and 6:15. Your chances of being seated immediately are very good.

In our experience, the rush is usually between 5:45-7:30. If your kids get cranky when hungry or while waiting, I'd plan to dine between 5-5:45. But unless it's a summer/holiday/prime spring break cruise date, it's rare to wait more than 15 minutes for a table for 2-4. Usually we get in immediately. Service is usually at a nice pace. If you'd like faster service, just let your server know you are in a bit of a rush and hope to go through your courses quickly. They can usually accomodate you.

In our experience, the rush is usually between 5:45-7:30. If your kids get cranky when hungry or while waiting, I'd plan to dine between 5-5:45. But unless it's a summer/holiday/prime spring break cruise date, it's rare to wait more than 15 minutes for a table for 2-4. Usually we get in immediately. Service is usually at a nice pace. If you'd like faster service, just let your server know you are in a bit of a rush and hope to go through your courses quickly. They can usually accomodate you.

They are usually pretty good at dinner, if we get a snack prior to dinner it would be fine for us. We normally go to dinner at 8:15pm on the other cruises, so the time frame will be a good idea for us to think about. Also, thank for the input about the speed of service, good to know.

In my experience, the biggest rush to the MDRs is between 6:30 and 7:30 (7PM being about the "height" of "rush hour".

For some reason there also seems to be a crowd waiting when the dining rooms open (5:30) - but everyone who is in such a hurry to eat usually gets seated pretty fast. My recommendation to avoid rush hour with small kids, go between 5:45 and 6:15. Your chances of being seated immediately are very good.

What about other options for dinner, if we want beside MDR, something free. Come from the old style cruising.

Have fun Marc!

Just a clarification to the above. If you are in a suite, your butler and the concierge are not included in the $12 per person service charge.

No limit on the amount of wine you can bring on. Corkage fee is $15 per 750 ml bottle no matter where you drink it on the ship including your cabin.

They are usually pretty good at dinner, if we get a snack prior to dinner it would be fine for us. We normally go to dinner at 8:15pm on the other cruises, so the time frame will be a good idea for us to think about. Also, thank for the input about the speed of service, good to know.

What about other options for dinner, if we want beside MDR, something free. Come from the old style cruising.

Buffet (generally quite a lot of choice - carving stations etc) or Blue Lagoon (not an extensive menu but fine for kids).

We have booked a cruise on the Pearl for the week of Thanksgiving. This will be the first time we are going to try NCL and was wanting to know what we should expect (i.e. service, things to do with young kids)

We have sailed on RCCL, CCL and Princess in the past and our reason for this trip was the cost. Could not turn down the option to sail with the kids tickets being free (sort of).

Things I am curious about are dining options? Entertainment? Kids Program? And any other incite about NCL?

I love the Great Outdoors patio on the back of the Pearl. It's just outside the buffet area. I would go through the buffet each night and get a dessert, then head out to the Great Outdoors for a cup of coffee. It's usually deserted at night so you can sit and relax while enjoying the fresh ocean breeze and the sound of the wake.

Nice way to end an evening.

Bear in mind that you narrow your experiences on NCL when you constrain yourself to "only free dining!" My 7 year old kid loves sushi, so we take her to the sushi bar and let her wipe out their plain salmon. We're also going to take her to Moderno (Brazillian churroscuria, known in our house as the "meat on a stick place") and let her try out all sorts of things without needing a full entree size. Moderno also has a huge salad bar for her to try small scoops of something.

DH and I also get date nights on cruises, because we take kiddo through the buffet (her choice), and then she goes to her kids' club while we are left at loose ends! With your youngest being 2, you might want to give the clubs a try to see if the oldest realizes all the fun they're missing!

Bear in mind that you narrow your experiences on NCL when you constrain yourself to "only free dining!" My 7 year old kid loves sushi, so we take her to the sushi bar and let her wipe out their plain salmon. We're also going to take her to Moderno (Brazillian churroscuria, known in our house as the "meat on a stick place") and let her try out all sorts of things without needing a full entree size. Moderno also has a huge salad bar for her to try small scoops of something.

DH and I also get date nights on cruises, because we take kiddo through the buffet (her choice), and then she goes to her kids' club while we are left at loose ends! With your youngest being 2, you might want to give the clubs a try to see if the oldest realizes all the fun they're missing!

We will look into the other places to eat, but both of my daughters don't eat alot and would be a waste of money to go to any of these places. Or do they not charge for kids at a certain age.

We hope that they want to do the kids club at least once but we won't force them if they don't want to go.

We will look into the other places to eat, but both of my daughters don't eat alot and would be a waste of money to go to any of these places. Or do they not charge for kids at a certain age.

We hope that they want to do the kids club at least once but we won't force them if they don't want to go.

The PDF link I posted says under 3 is free, and the 5 year old would be half price if they eat food other than from the kid's menu. The sushi is a la carte, though. If you go to the restaurant early, the fee is lower for everyone, too, from the recent sailings (I believe the deal is half-price fee and a bottle of wine, but you'd need to consult the dailies from your cruise).

The PDF link I posted says under 3 is free, and the 5 year old would be half price if they eat food other than from the kid's menu. The sushi is a la carte, though. If you go to the restaurant early, the fee is lower for everyone, too, from the recent sailings (I believe the deal is half-price fee and a bottle of wine, but you'd need to consult the dailies from your cruise).

That makes me feel better that we might be able to take the kids to one of the other restaurants if we seem fit. Does anyone have access to the menus for any of the restaurants.

That makes me feel better that we might be able to take the kids to one of the other restaurants if we seem fit. Does anyone have access to the menus for any of the restaurants.

There are sample menus on the NCL.com website.

There are sample menus on the NCL.com website.

I'm not seeing the sample menus anymore... got any links? The link I'm looking at is: http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-dining

tekman26, if you read any reviews from recent cruisers, the menus are standardized across the fleet. That's not to say they don't change every so often, but they're consistent between Dawn and Pearl, for example.

(Horse isn't dead yet) Here's the sushi menu: http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/MENU%20Fleet%20Sushi%20168699.15.11.pdf

I'm still looking for the photo album I had open yesterday with all the menus... it wasn't all correct, though...

Archived