Progreso is AWESOME!!!

I sailed Carnival Holiday June 21, 2008 and Progreso was one of our ports. I have to say that after reading reviews, I was a little skeptical.

However, once we got there we realized that this is indeed the real Mexico and we had a blast!!!

We took the free bus from the pier into the market area. Once there, we rode the double decker bus for only 2 bucks. They take you along a 20-25 min tour of Progreso. We then walked to Corona beach where we got 40 min massages on the beach for only 20 bucks! These were awesome and I highly recommend doing this. If you wait until later in the day after everyone begins to leave, they will do them for 2 for 1. After our massage, we did the banana boat ride for $5 dollars each. This was fun! We then rented beach chairs for $2 each, but I think if you sit under the umbrellas you don't have to pay. We ordered margaritas and had a blast. Although, the water isn't very clear, the beach is still very nice.

I did get a sting while in the water of Corona beach. I'm not sure what it was (Jelly Fish, Star Fish, etc.) I wasn't very far out, when something snuck up and stung me on my toe. It was very painful!! My husband helped me out of the water and I did bleed pretty bad and my toe did have a bit of swelling. It was okay after a day or so.

Overall, Progeso is a great port and we are planning on taking a land vacation there. If you want souvenirs we found that the bargaining is easier in Progeso than Cozumel. Don't be put off by all the negative reviews, go to Progreso and enjoy yourself!!

When you go to the beach, you can get free chairs at any of the resturants, If you go about 2 blocks from the start of the beach you will find Buddy's resturant. The food is great, all USDA meat and the kitchen is clean and they use purified water for everything. The owner is a Dutch guy and his wife is Mexican and he speaks english. Great food and great time to be had. They have tables on the beach, and have lounge (beach chairs).

• 2 months later...

Yes all the restaurants on the beach have bathrooms, some will charge you a few pesos if you are not eating/drinking at that resturant, others will not charge. There really is no such thing as Corona Beach in Progreso. The beach is all public, the name Corona Beach came about because Corona (the beer Company) has a restuarant on the beach and sell of course Corona beer. Try all the Bars/restuarants along the beach (malecon). Most will have covered tables on the beach and will serve you there. Some have beach lounge chairs for use if you are drinking/eating there.

Enjoy your stay in Progreso, It is the real Mexico.

Yes all the restaurants on the beach have bathrooms, some will charge you a few pesos if you are not eating/drinking at that resturant, others will not charge. There really is no such thing as Corona Beach in Progreso. The beach is all public, the name Corona Beach came about because Corona (the beer Company) has a restuarant on the beach and sell of course Corona beer. Try all the Bars/restuarants along the beach (malecon). Most will have covered tables on the beach and will serve you there. Some have beach lounge chairs for use if you are drinking/eating there.

Enjoy your stay in Progreso, It is the real Mexico.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

We were in Progreso last month and I agree that it is a fun stop. The 4 mile pier is interesting. We did take the $2 open top bus (watch out for the low hanging wires; they're serious about that warning!). Afterwards, we walked over to the beach area, had lunch at Buddy's, and then waded in the water for a few minutes before walking back to the pier bus stop.

Glitz and fancy shops are not to be found! But that's okay. The area is trying to become tourist-y and it will take awhile. But, it's fun as it is.

The4Cruisers. I honestly don't think the local residents ever want to be another Cozumel or Cancun. They really are a warm and happy people that are pretty content without the phony glitz.

Merida has a pretty healthy tourist trade, but more European (and even Asians) visiting than US. Americans are more attracted to the pure touristy areas and not interested in foreign culture or history. Even said, Merida and the Yucatan State do not depend on tourism for their existance.

Thanks for the review of Progesso,, I have heard so many bad things about the place ..I was beginning dread our cruise coming up in Feb...I must agree it is in what you make of the trip that makes it great not the place.....we went to Kaui Hawaii a few years ago..and it was the best trip we had ever taken.. so we went back last X-mas and stayed on the other side of the island and it was dreadful....I only wished we had stayed at the same place as the first time... what do they say..."live and learn" well I have learned....stick with what you know.....:eek:

Agrip. You begrudge their efforts to feed their families? By comparison, have you been to Nassau, Cozumel, St Thomas, St Maarten or anyother cruise ports? Progreso and Merida don't even compare. BTW, if the visitor's were'nt interested in tee shirts, and other trinkets, do you think for one minute those vendors would waste their time?

Progreso is beautiful and lively. Don't listen to the haters--get off the boat and enjoy a truly unique seaside town.

I concur. We have been to Progreso 3 times and found something different to do each trip. I would go back in a minute.

I concur. We have been to Progreso 3 times and found something different to do each trip. I would go back in a minute.

I would love to go back, too! But now that Costa Maya is re-opening, it looks like we might be seeing fewer itineraries with Progreso?

I was happy that Progreso was substituted for Costa Maya on my cruise last May. In Progreso, it's easy to just walk around and find something to do in town and have a really authentic Mexico experience. Costa Maya, from what I've read anyway, just seems like a glorified cruise terminal village. Nothing to do there, just a place that exists to drive people to buy cruise line excursions. Or maybe I'm wrong--I'll find out when I go in January!

Have fun and drink a Sol for me, ;)

--Michelle

Hey Girlfriend,

I wasn't crazy about Costa Maya either. I simply wasn't my cup of tea, but Chac-chi Resort was relief. I don't know if it is open yet but it is a nice laidback place with decent food, cold drinks and they even offer horse rides. You might check the Costa Maya board before your trip to see if they are back in business.

Archived