recommendations for hotel on vaci utca-main pedestrian street in budapest

wine-lady

Hi; My husband and I are taking Viking's Grand European Tour from Ams-Bud in July 2013. We are planning on spending few nights post cruise in Budapest and would like to stay very central possibly on Vaci Utca which I believe is the main pedestrian shopping street. Any recommendations for a hotel reasonably priced in that area? Thanks

You may try Mercure Budapest City Center located at Vaci utca 20 H-1052 Budapest I stayed there several years ago on a trip then ended in Budapest and the front door opens right out on the onto the walking street. I do not know what they charged for the room as that was part of my tour but the location was great. you may google it to check on the price. Dan

While I am sure that the rooms would not be consider "reasonably priced" - it might be worth a look at the Intercontinental. The location is great - right on the Danube, and right around the corner from the Vaci Utca.

The Vaci Utca is the main pedestrian shopping area... just a "heads up" - you will find the prices are most expensive at the end closest to the Chain Bridge. We found items cheaper the closer we got to the Central Market.

Fran

The Marriott Mellinium Apartments are between the Vaci Utca and the river. we stayed there befor a cruise last year. Did not eat the breakfast (extra) because of the wonderful bakeries on the same small street. It was a great central place to stay. Pat

We stayed at the Intercontinental in august, fantastic position just around the corner from Vaci Utca on the Danube. Budapest is so easy to walk around and lots of people and things going on both day and night.

Might not be the cheapest hotel in Budapest but would have to be in one of the best locations and we got a great price online, we didnt eat there as there are so many places to eat within minutes of the hotel.

When we were in Budapest before our cruise last April we stayed in La Prima Fashion Hotel. A boutique hotel about 20 steps from Vaci Utca. Quite a bit cheaper than the larger hotels and we were looked after very well. We would highly recommend this hotel. Look it up on trip adviser and read the reviews.

Keenmolly has posted one on our return. We walked to the Intercontinental on the day we were boarding The Avalon Panorama for our fantastic 14 night cruise

We stayed at Marriott Millenium Court Executive apartments in November for 59E per night advance purchase rate.

It is located just off the Pedestrian zone and was a very good experience at an exceptional price.

There were 7 in our group and we had three apartments. All were very nice. There was also the bonus of free laundry rooms on each floor.

Last April we spent a couple of days at the Hotel Sofitel Chain Bridge (Accor Hotels group), which is on the Danube and a couple of blocks NW of the start of the Vaci Utca (but within easy walking distance). If you have an Accor affiliation/points or prefer a larger hotel experience, it might be worth an inquiry as to rates/amenities. There were other AMA Waterways passengers staying in this hotel before our cruise began, although we booked it directly rather than through AMA.

We enjoyed our brief stay and the view from our room of the castle town and Chain Bridge at night was breathtaking. Didn't use the hotel restaurant for breakfast as we went to Café Gerbeaud instead (which fronts a public plaza AT the head of Vaci Utca). Although it is best known as a famous coffeehouse with a beautiful historic interior, they serve full hot breakfasts as well. Not inexpensive, but worth it for a trip back in time.

Wherever you stay, be sure to leave time to stroll along Vaci Utca admiring the architectural detail of the buildings. So much variety and interesting patterns/colors. It's a feast for the eyes, even if you never enter a store. The Great Market Hall is also worth a stop, and located across the street from the southern end of Vaci Utca. The Market is a very large building which looks like a historic train station but contains a really interesting public market, roughly divided among fresh foodstuffs on the main level, seafood in the basement and leather goods, linens/fabrics and other more souvenir-type items on the mezzanine above. We found it fascinating.

Archived