Alexandria/Cairo 4x4ing & Camel "Safari"

StacyInSeattle

We're going to be docked in Alexandria for two days, and I'm working on planning our day excursions. I lean towards private tours for all the typical reasons, but include the ship options in my investigation into what we might want to see.

I think I have the list of what we want to see on Day 1 sorted - the typical Giza, Sphinx, etc. itinerary.

On Day 2 I'm thinking it would be fun to do a combo 4x4 ride & camel "safari" in the desert. Might be nice to get a little off the beaten path, avoid the crowds, see the rural scenery, etc. Celebrity offers an excursion that combines this sort of activity in one day with the pyramids, but I'm hoping to find a private tour that we could do this excursion with on its own day.

Anyone do these activities (or something like them) from the Alexandria port? Did you enjoy them? Did you use a private company, and if so which one?

Thanks! ~Stacy

My twin five year olds each rode a camel with an adult. I'm pretty fearless with my girls, but the ride felt a little uneasy - we all completed it safely though. (However, we all regret it now - a little bit into the ride we realized how poorly the camels are treated - at least the ones we saw.)

Best,

Mia

Seeing poorly treated animals - not to mention supporting that monetarily - would totally ruin the day. Will rethink the camel ride idea! Thanks for the head's up!

I would agree with Sinbad to look into Moustafa's offerings. He was wonderful with us about creating an itinerary of exactly what we wanted to do, so I'd think he could put together a jeef safari, which does sound spectacular.

All my best,

Mia

Archived