Packing List for cruising with a 6 month old. Am I missing anything?

karenna00

Ok. We are 2 weeks away from our cruise on the Carnival Pride. I'm so excited but I'm also a little anxious. Gonna start packing this weekend so I'm sure not to forget anything we need for the baby. It will be our first cruise with her. She is turning 6 months old just days before we cruise.

She is mainly on breast milk/formula. Just starting to introduce solids. So I'm not sure it will be worth it to bring along baby food and all the supplies necessary to serve it.

We requested the crib from carnival so we won't have to bring a pack and play. Anyone regret not taking their pack and play?

Does anyone know what size sheets their cribs take? Is it the regular crib sheets, the pack and play sheets, or portable crib sheets?

So here is my packing list so far. Please let me know if I'm missing anything!

Transport:

Stroller- trying to decided between the city mini with car seat and adaptor in case we need the car seat or the snap and go with car seat. We did not want to buy a third umbrella stroller for the cruise.

Baby Bjorn infant carrier

Bath and diapering:

Baby pool

baby soap and shampoo

diapers (we usually use 6 to 8 a day- how many should I pack per day for the cruise?)

wipes

mini diaper garbage bags

changing pad

(anyone have issues using the cruise line's towels and wash clothes for baby- or should we pack those too?)

diaper bag

dreft laundry detergent

swim diapers (to use in our baby pool)

healthcare:

Tylenol

saline drops

nasal aspirator

baby vitamins

sunscreen

hand sanitizer liquids and wipes

pedialyte packets

thermometer

sunglasses

sleeping:

sheets for cruise line's crib

baby blanket

sleep sheep

pacifiers

feeding:

bottles/nipples/caps

formula

bowls/spoons

baby food

dish soap

burp cloths

bibs

small cooler

entertainment:

assortment of favorite/portable toys

teething toys/rings

clothing:

jacket

assorted clothes: shirts/pants/shorts/socks/shoes

bathing suit

hat

pj's

dress for elegant night

Wow! That is a lot! But, am I missing anything? Thanks in advance!

I would bring some ziplocs in various sizes for when you are in a place where you need to change a diaper or change the entire outfit due to an accident and you don't have a good place to dispose of it/store it.

Not sure if your baby needs a bottle warmer... we had a small one we used cause our babies all liked warm milk.

I would go with the snap n go stroller. If you do need to uee the car seat in a car, most car seats have a slot in the bottom for you to put the seat belt though even without the car seat base. This is what a lot of people in NYC do cause they don't own a car but they need to take a taxi everywhere. Obviously they are not carrying a car seat base around with them everywhere.

Also, think about taking a mini diaper bag... something to carry a bottle, one diaper and a change of clothes.... this can be helpful when walking all over the ship rather than carrying a full size diaper bag. You can reserve the full size one for when you go off the boat and need to carry more items.

Don't forget your breastfeeding cover! I used to nurse my child all the time in public but I was always fully covered.

You didn't mention a brush/comb and hair accessories (not sure how much hair your daughter has yet).

I would also get diaper rash cream. Sometimes in the heat and humidity of the Caribbean, they can develop some diaper rash. Bonus - it doubles as a sunburn salve should you or someone else in your family be so unlucky.

As for cruiseline towels, they should be fine. I did take with me a small hooded towel though cause my babies liked to be wrapped up in it on their head.

Other than that, your list looks comprehensive. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

I second the Snap n Go. We traveled with it several times (just airlines and hotels, not a cruise) and it was great. If you are on any transportation outside the ship's transfer on a coach, you'll need the carseat anyway.

Do you have a stroller umbrella? Sometimes you can get them at BRU. I got mine from Sunshine Kids/Amazon. It just screws onto the edge of stroller frame. It will likely come in handy. I'm bringing ours and hoping it can go onto the side of beach chairs.

Why are you bringing dreft? If there is not washers available, leave it at home!

Bring a blow up pool, duck tub (much easier to pack and the cabins are small.

As for diapers: how many days will you be traveling, multiplied by how many diapers you use a day.

Sunscreen!

You will not need sheets for the crib as the cruise lines have sheets for their cribs.

Ziplock bags are a must!

2-3 extra outfits, and a pair of warm jammies as it does cool down at night (especially at sea).

A few toys.

AN extra pacifier.

I would pack as lightly and as necessary as I could, afterall it is a vacation!

Why are you bringing dreft? If there is not washers available, leave it at home!

As for diapers: how many days will you be traveling, multiplied by how many diapers you use a day. Then add at least 1 extra days more. this is the LAST thing you want to run out of!

Sunscreen! Check with your MD to see what she recommends for the little one and try it out before you go to make sure no reactions.

You will not need sheets for the crib as the cruise lines have sheets for their cribs.

Ziplock bags are a must!

2-3 extra outfits, and a pair of warm jammies as it does cool down at night (especially at sea).

A few toys.

AN extra pacifier. or more in case it gets dropped, lost etc

As for baby food, I would only bring cereal or fruits and veggies you have already introduced and are sure your little one likes, will eat and is not reacting too.

As for diapers: how many days will you be traveling, multiplied by how many diapers you use a day.

Sunscreen!

Ziplock bags are a must!

A few toys.

AN extra pacifier.

Carnival has laundry rooms on all ships. Dreft can also be used for handwash.

OP- Bring extras of everything-diapers, wipes, meds.

Continue with the solid food. Bring baby spoons but the ship has bowls.

20 extra diapers. Yes, 20!

We sailed did an 11 night when DS was 9 months, and he got sick towards the end of the cruise (Roseola - it's one of those things that pretty much EVERY kid gets and recovers from after several days of being uncomfortable, but it pretty poor luck to get it just then...), and we went through more diapers than we had planned (and I had taken extra). One bout of sickness can wipe out an entire stack of diapers fast!

Nursing is GREAT for travelling, but bring something like Gerber rice puffs for when the plane is landing, or plan on nursing during that time; it's hard on the ears for little ones.

I missed where you're sailing, but if it's somewhere hot, make sure you're extra careful about staying hydrated yourself! I became suuuuuper tired after a few days and realized that my body wasn't getting enough liquid for the heat and the nursing! So guzzle some water, mom! :)

I'd recommend a carrier like an Ergo, Boba, Kinderpack, Beco Gemini, etc, instead of the Baby Bjorn. You back will thank you, and your little one will be much more comfortable.

Oh, yes, I LOOOOOOOOVED my Ergo. I dealt with the Bjorn for 9 months, but after that my back couldn't take it. But I wore him in my Ergo (on my front) until he was 2.5. SO WORTH IT. :)

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

The Pride is headed out of Baltimore to Florida and the Bahamas. We are within driving distance to the port, so no flying necessary.

I'll pack extra diapers just in case...

I'm excited about this cruise, but its a little intimidating having to bring everything she needs. Its funny, we have a giant suitcase for her and my husband and I will share a suitcase about half its size! Good thing we're both light packers. It will leave plenty of space in the cabin for everything she needs.

Oh, and my parents are joining us so we'll have some extra help.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, yes, I LOOOOOOOOVED my Ergo. I dealt with the Bjorn for 9 months, but after that my back couldn't take it. But I wore him in my Ergo (on my front) until he was 2.5. SO WORTH IT. :)

That was me too, using the Bjorn because I thought it was supposed to be one of the better one, and wondering why my back was killing me.

Then I found out about and got an Ergo, I wish I had known about it sooner, it felt so amazingly comfortable after the Bjorn. And it is more comfy for the baby too, instead of putting all their weight in their crotch area, it is more like in their thighs all the way up to the knee, so it's not so much pressure in one small spot.

Make a list of EVERYTHING you use for the next week...diapers, wipes, bibs, food, etc....Then you'll know what you use and need. If you're breast feeding,, that's easy...it goes with you! Stop the formula and use the breast...you don't "run out", it needs no sterilizing, and it's always fresh! And easy! No paraphenalia!

20 extra diapers. Yes, 20!

We sailed did an 11 night when DS was 9 months, and he got sick towards the end of the cruise (Roseola - it's one of those things that pretty much EVERY kid gets and recovers from after several days of being uncomfortable, but it pretty poor luck to get it just then...), and we went through more diapers than we had planned (and I had taken extra). One bout of sickness can wipe out an entire stack of diapers fast!

When my kids were infants, I usually brought along my favourite baby book that had a good chapter on infant illnesses. It was helpful to refer to when I wasn't sure if the latest thing that they were doing was developmental or something to worry about. It also came in handy when my then 18 month old developed a high fever while on vacation.

We cruised with our 6 month old in January and honestly I think you're taking too much.

Do you really need a pool and swim diapers? A 6 month old won't notice or care that she isn't allowed in the pools. We brought 1 swim diaper for going in the ocean only, this was exactly enough.

Also food(and food accessories): unless your baby has some special diet, they have tons of it on the ship, just give her that. My baby was mostly breastfed, but our waiters got him some Cheerios, bread, fruits and veggies at meals(mainly to keep him quiet)

Sunglasses-try these on your baby beforehand. A lot of little ones won't wear them for more than a minute. A big hat is a better investment.

Diaper bag. We left ours at home and I'm glad we did. They are a bulky pain to lug around. We just used the pocket thing on the stroller or my husband's backpack to put needed items in.

Do you use teething gel or tablets? Does your baby have teeth? Those may be good to pack.

Have a great trip. We found cruising(and flying) with a 6 month old to be super easy.

Cruise completed.

The verdict: used practically everything!

Did not use the medicines but glad I brought it because hey, you never know.

Didn't bring my own baby sheets. Used theirs. Good thing too as DD had an accident or 2.

DD LOVED splashing around in her baby pool on the balcony. So glad I brought it.

Diaper bag was helpful in port. Used it to carry everything for the family.

DD is not ready for cruise line food-no teeth and still making our way through stage 1 foods so I'm glad we brought our own too. Carnival doesn't provide baby food.

Brought our city mini. Best decision ever! She napped all over the ship and in port in her stroller. We were never confined to our room. It fit in the closet.

overall, I took a lot but I was so happy to have everything and anything I needed. No problems with space issues in the cabin. We managed to fit all her stuff and ours in the closets, draws, and under the bed. The room was never crowded or cluttered.

Cruise completed.

The verdict: used practically everything!

Did not use the medicines but glad I brought it because hey, you never know.

Didn't bring my own baby sheets. Used theirs. Good thing too as DD had an accident or 2.

DD LOVED splashing around in her baby pool on the balcony. So glad I brought it.

Diaper bag was helpful in port. Used it to carry everything for the family.

DD is not ready for cruise line food-no teeth and still making our way through stage 1 foods so I'm glad we brought our own too. Carnival doesn't provide baby food.

Brought our city mini. Best decision ever! She napped all over the ship and in port in her stroller. We were never confined to our room. It fit in the closet.

overall, I took a lot but I was so happy to have everything and anything I needed. No problems with space issues in the cabin. We managed to fit all her stuff and ours in the closets, draws, and under the bed. The room was never crowded or cluttered.

We cruise with our 6 month old on June 18, and I am curious as to how the crib fits in the room. Is it crowded?

We cruise with our 6 month old on June 18, and I am curious as to how the crib fits in the room. Is it crowded?

carnival provides a portable crib on wheels. We just wheeled it out of the way when need be. The crib makes the room smaller but it was never an issue for us as our daughter wasn't crawling yet and we did not need the floor space. The nice things about porta cribs is the fold up so that's an option if you're feeling cramped. Would probably fit under the bed if your suitcases didn't take up all the under bed space.

Archived