why does everyone love the Embassy Suites 17th St.

trojangirl90066

the place is dated but the location is great, close to Publix, wine store, restaurants. There are cheaper options nearer to FLL if you just want a place to sleep. the happy hour is ok and the breakfast so so, do not pay a premium for this place though.

the place is dated but the location is great, close to Publix, wine store, restaurants. There are cheaper options nearer to FLL if you just want a place to sleep. the happy hour is ok and the breakfast so so, do not pay a premium for this place though.

Thanks for the info. I got a room at Bahia Mar for $139 but keep reading how great the ES are. Just didn't want to be disappointed and sorry we didn't stay there. We are not planning on doing a lot of shopping before the cruise.

The hotel has been recently refurbished. I was just there a couple of months ago. The property is clean, has a very nice pool area, is close to the port, not too far from the airport, has lots of places to eat in walking distance, and a decent happy hour manager's reception. It's a good place if you do not want or need to be on the beach. I'm booked there in Sept. at a rate of $100 per night. From what I have heard Bahi Mar is nice and is now a Doubletree Hotel located across from the beach.

The hotel has been recently refurbished. I was just there a couple of months ago. The property is clean, has a very nice pool area, is close to the port, not too far from the airport, has lots of places to eat in walking distance, and a decent happy hour manager's reception. It's a good place if you do not want or need to be on the beach. I'm booked there in Sept. at a rate of $100 per night. From what I have heard Bahi Mar is nice and is now a Doubletree Hotel located across from the beach.

Thank you for that. Since we are going in February the rate is $209 and that is being a senior and hilton honors member. I think I will stick with the Bahia Mar, it's only for one night.

Keep checking rates on hiltonfamilymvp and rebook and cancel if needed to get a better rate. The ES is good if you like a bigger room, an included full breakfast, and included/free drinks at happy hour. If those things aren't important to you, then you will love Bahia Mar for the location. Most of the fun stuff is about a half mile away so wear good walking shoes.

Thank you for that. Since we are going in February the rate is $209 and that is being a senior and hilton honors member. I think I will stick with the Bahia Mar, it's only for one night.

You are welcome. Have you checked other rate categories like AAA? Since you are an Honors member keep an eye out for honors specials in the mail or email.

jdechter, when was the time your stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th, because you and I must have stayed at different places. We had a great breakfast, a fun happy hour, and a wounderful room, not to mention the shopping center behind the hotel.

The Bahia Mar is across the street from the beach. There is a great VERY casual spot to eat just a few steps away...Bahia Cabana. Right on the waterway. Or a little longer walk there are other spots. The Oasis has outdoor eating in swinging benches and food is pretty good. Also there is a trolley that runs right by the hotel if you want to avoid long walking.

We prefer being on the beach. The ES is like any ES. It is on a busy street with lots of traffic and restaurants and stores to pick up last min. personal items, wine etc. Convenient. The hotel is fine and the room price does include your breakfast and you can get a couple drinks during their happy hour. Not "free"...just part of the cost of the room. (I always wonder why people say it is "free". )

It's just a matter of what you want for your stay. We want to look at sand and water, since we leave the midwest to enjoy sun and fun in the winter months. We can stay at any ES here in town if we want that experience. ;)

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will stay with the Bahia Mar. I don't need to pick up last minute items and I love the beach. The Oasis sounds awesome. Now just have to figure out my transpo from MIA to the hotel & back.

You might want to consider a one way car rental. There are also shuttle services available. Just don't take a taxi from MIA to Ft. Lauderdale, the fare will be in the $80-$90 range.

Do you mind if I ask how you got a $100 a night rate? I've been checking their site for a room in September also and am getting a rate of $175.

I am not really a fan of Embassy Suites. I find their rooms and decor to be very depressing. As for the free drinks at happy hour, I would much prefer to go somewhere else, and pay for my drink, rather than stand for a half an hour in line. The complimentary breakfast is, I think, very nice, but not worth it to stay there, at least for me.

Karen

Do you mind if I ask how you got a $100 a night rate? I've been checking their site for a room in September also and am getting a rate of $175.

I booked using the government/military rate. You have to pick that under special rates like AAA, government/military, or if you have some other corporate code.

I am not really a fan of Embassy Suites. . As for the free drinks at happy hour, I would much prefer to go somewhere else, and pay for my drink, rather than stand for a half an hour in line. The complimentary breakfast is, I think, very nice, but not worth it to stay there, at least for me.

Karen

This is why we don't stay here while in Ft L too. ;) While on vacation, we don't want to stay in the hotel. We enjoy our drinks, meals and time away from the hotel and somewhere we can take in the Fl atmosphere.

Nothing against the hotel. But not our choice on a Fl vacation. Especailly coming from the midwest in Jan-Feb.:)

Archived