Just booked Veendam, my first "S" class ship!

sppunk

While many posts detail the unhappiness with the Retreat (which I totally understand), we went ahead and swallowed the pill and are doing the next-to-last Bermuda run for, well, possibly ever.

We've been on Westerdam, Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam already, and are looking forward to a smaller ship. We'll miss Tamarind like something fierce, but I guess those Pinnacle lamb kebabs will tide us over. :)

We're in a BC - very last cabin on port side. Can't wait!

I was just thinking that I should make the ever popular "did I make a mistake?" post as I just booked us on Veendam to Bermuda for the same reason. This is it for HAL and Bermuda. We've only done Vista and S class and have loved the HAL experience. What can we expect? Is the retreat a deal breaker? Kids (love them in any other setting), chaos? Booked a BB guarantee (also a first). What sailing are you on?

Im sitting here trying to sell Veendam to my 14 year old as my 28 year old, his GF, and my mom cruise off on Allure this December. We're having a very funny Facebook photoshop war. But the reality is: I'm taking my 14 year old cruise ship obsessed kid on Veendam. What is everyone complaining about? The fact that instead of an aft pool there is a bunch of hot tubs? Can someone explain.....?

Im sitting here trying to sell Veendam to my 14 year old as my 28 year old, his GF, and my mom cruise off on Allure this December. We're having a very funny Facebook photoshop war. But the reality is: I'm taking my 14 year old cruise ship obsessed kid on Veendam. What is everyone complaining about? The fact that instead of an aft pool there is a bunch of hot tubs? Can someone explain.....?

Where the retreat is now, used to be the aft terrace pool. It was quite and peaceful. The retreat has just hot tubs and a giant LED showing loud movies/videos all the time.

Bermuda's probably an ideal area for her since you on,y have two sea days, then four days within easy access to amazing beaches.

We're excited, being on any Dam ship is suitable! Ha.

Agreed on the Damnation aspect.

Are teenagers allowed in the retreat? Sounds like an adult only area. By loud, do you mean teeth shaking, ala MUTS? Still, there is a Lido pool with retractable roof, non? So how bad can it be? Have you seen Elation's pool? Imagine a shoe box with 1/3 roped off for the slide exit.

Wonder if there will be any kids...........

It's not adults only, iirc. I'd guess not many kids, school will be starting then plus the ship's likely not ideal for a lot if families given the choices of RCCL and NCL there.

I don't mind MUTS myself, so I'm not concerned about the noise.

It's not adults only, iirc. I'd guess not many kids, school will be starting then plus the ship's likely not ideal for a lot if families given the choices of RCCL and NCL there.

I don't mind MUTS myself, so I'm not concerned about the noise.

7/29 is dead summer, kids go back after Labor Day up here. I was fine with MUTS at night, and they had a great concert at about 1pm every day: Tina Turner at Wembley, U2, and then some country thing so I tuned it out. The rest of the time, when it was random, it was pretty loud and obtrusive. Still, it was overall a plus and very cool.

Archived